ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We have had a Delorme InReach for several years now they serve well when we are offshore diving/fishing, out west, or when we are deep in the TN hills doing ill advised things on 2-4 wheels. Last year I upgraded to the Garmin Version, I have been watching Sat Phone pricing for a while but they have ALWAYS been $1000+ just for the phone and several hundred a month for service.

Recently they’ve been on a downward trend. So much so I was able to pick up a phone for <$100 and service for less than I was paying for the top inReach plan. I liked the inReach as I could go as low as $15 a month for a plan, but seeing as we were going deeper into the hills for longer and we have a dive trip to the Flower a Garden Banks planned I thought it’d be a good investment for an emergency. Since the older I get the more I wonder if I’m really not invincible.

It’s water and dust resistant but I had an 1150 Pelican case and foam from a larger Pelican case so I cut it to fit in there.

FYI: If any of you are riding with me and I do something incredibly stupid it should still be in my machine. If y’all do something incredibly stupid .... I’m going to get video then call for help.

D57B7DCF D3DC 4BA3 8391 665DDC0BF526
15C2A20A 8882 475C 92C1 9506C977AC43

Edit: You have to be somewhat stationary to use it.

Last edited:
J

JTW

We have had a Delorme InReach for several years now they serve well when we are offshore diving/fishing, out west, or when we are deep in the TN hills doing ill advised things on 2-4 wheels. Last year I upgraded to the Garmin Version, I have been watching Sat Phone pricing for a while but they have ALWAYS been $1000+ just for the phone and several hundred a month for service.

Recently they’ve been on a downward trend. So much so I was able to pick up a phone for <$100 and service for less than I was paying for the top inReach plan. I liked the inReach as I could go as low as $15 a month for a plan, but seeing as we were going deeper into the hills for longer and we have a dive trip to the Flower a Garden Banks planned I thought it’d be a good investment for an emergency. Since the older I get the more I wonder if I’m really not invincible.

It’s water and dust resistant but I had an 1150 Pelican case and foam from a larger Pelican case so I cut it to fit in there.

FYI: If any of you are riding with me and I do something incredibly stupid it should still be in my machine. If y’all do something incredibly stupid .... I’m going to get video then call for help.

View attachment 93422
View attachment 93423
I like it

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

View attachment 93422
View attachment 93423
That’s a good price. Thank you for sharing.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We’re having the whole family over to the homestead for thanksgiving and some of the cousins kids have asked to bring their ATVs so I had to trail maintence I’ve been putting off. I had just ran out of 2-stroke gas and was headed back to go get oil at TSC. Otherwise that tree in the right would no longer be “the tree on the right”.

The thing about wheels and spacers (because the inner bead locks rub on the lower a-arm without them) is it make your machine wider.

So wide that it’s harder to thread the needle.
Out of all the miles on tough technical trails the two times I’ve bent a tie rod were times I shouldn’t have...

Taco’d this on pretty good and I KNEW it was about to happen but couldn’t stab the brakes fast enough. On a side note the retractable harnesses work really well....

4421F0CE E3E7 4C2C 84C8 CB7DF6D24818

1EC02D0C BD1E 4ABD B406 1317971DBF0D
E6C67E8A 35CF 4AE7 B3C3 20C3C8062F41
BD10FF12 0089 4BCE A6C6 1CE7C8F28B4A
D1B5D583 3994 4BD7 BFDE 9B330E858DD0

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We’re having the whole family over to the homestead for thanksgiving and some of the cousins kids have asked to bring their ATVs so I had to trail maintence I’ve been putting off. I had just ran out of 2-stroke gas and was headed back to go get oil at TSC. Otherwise that tree in the right would no longer be “the tree on the right”.

The thing about wheels and spacers (because the inner bead locks rub on the lower a-arm without them) is it make your machine wider.

Out of all the miles on tough technical trails the two times I’ve bent a tie rod were times I shouldn’t have...

Taco’d this on pretty good and I KNEW it was about to happen but couldn’t stab the brakes fast enough. On a side note the retractable harnesses work really well....

View attachment 93658

View attachment 93661
View attachment 93659
View attachment 93660
View attachment 93662
That’s the way it seems to work for me too - first tie rod I bent was just after the 2nd part of widowmaker when you reach the bottom - there is a little mud puddle you go through and I guess I bent mine of a stump of something right there after I went through all the technical stuff.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 93658

View attachment 93661
View attachment 93659
View attachment 93660
View attachment 93662
Gotta beat my wife! Yours is just "tweaked"!
20180923 163101

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s the way it seems to work for me too - first tie rod I bent was just after the 2nd part of widowmaker when you reach the bottom - there is a little mud puddle you go through and I guess I bent mine of a stump of something right there after I went through all the technical stuff.

Yup used my last spare, ordered 3 replacements.

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How hard are those to change and what do they run.. just couriers for the comparision.
I didn't shop around. But was $45 if I recall. But lower a arm was the same. She blew them both. It was $115 shipped. Way easier to change than the pioneer. She smoked a stump at about 30!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Changed the air filter and checked the throttle body clamps. (I’m going to have it checked at a dealer so I check the box but they weren’t going anywhere and measured what they were supposed to)

This is the easiest way to reach the Allen head screws. Took all of 10mins to change filter and air box gaskets.

6F91ADD5 5069 4ADE 93ED 034774AA9042

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This thing is freaking awesome, I never got any pictures of the scenery or videos everyone because it was a PITA to get my phone BACK in the RAM mount.

The RAM mount I had wouldn’t fit my new iPhone so I got to looking and Quadlock has a case and a mount with a 1” RAM ball on it. Needed a case anyway. Now its maybe 3-5 seconds to get the phone in or out, push the blue tab back and rotate 45 degrees. It took me a good 30 to get the rubber band back on the RAM moung to keep my phone from flying out, I never removed it to take pics or video now I will.

1F4BF045 CC6C 4527 960F 4004BE9E9D1A

SuperDutyJohn

SuperDutyJohn

Aug 20, 2018
Vero Beach, FL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Ended up with some time to do maintenance over the last few days.

Started at the back and changed diff fluid, added some pre-load to the Fox to account for the gear I usually carry on a trail ride, greased the rear SATV arms, sealed the beadlocks because I had a couple of slow leaks, and changed the brakes because the squealers had started. They had a few miles left but that was it.

View attachment 81872 View attachment 81873

Got to the front changed the brakes, took the tires off sealed the beadlocks, and found the SATV arms were far more loose than I thought. I had tried to move them before with the tire installed but apparently the weight was enough to keep them from shifting by hand. As soon as I went to break the caliper bolts loose the a-arm shifted, A LOT.

View attachment 81875
The hole in the frame is wallowed out on the upper drivers side, and the bolt is worn down. I think this is due to it not being tightened down enough when I installed the a-arms or the bolt possibly stretching. In addition to new upper bolts, I’m going to have find a viable solution other than larger bolts and a second $100 set of bushings.
I’ll check the bolts every ride until I’m satisfied it’s not going to repeat.

On another note the bushings don’t have very much room for grease at all.

View attachment 81874
I wonder what would happen if you used a longer shouldered bolt?

Reactions: BWAF