P500 Rocky Mountain ATV/Tusk Winch (3500)

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
This past Saturday I finally got around to installing the Tusk 3500 pound winch kit (included everything...mount, wiring, contact block, switch, etc) I had ordered before Christmas. The install itself went quick and easy. Unfortunately it didn't work. I have verified 12V power at the contact block from the leads running to the battery and ground (frame bolt near battery). I have verified key on 12v power on the actual switch leads going to the contact block when I push for In or Out on the wired winch switch. I don't get a relay click at all in the contact block. I don't get any power out of the contact block down to the winch.

So, I call up Rocky Mountain (Saturday afternoon) and as I had bought the winch before Christmas they just confirmed that I was just now actually installing it, but otherwise didn't give me any hassle. They started a warranty claim and said someone from warranty would probably want to talk to me. I got that call today (Tuesday) and after a quick explanation of what I tested and that I had come to the conclusion that I just got a bad contact block they agreed with my assessment and are dropping a new contact block out to me today. They asked me to install it within two weeks so if it happens to not fix the issue they can keep it under the same warranty claim.

This is the first thing I've ever had an issue with from Rocky Mountain, but I'm pretty happy with how they are dealing with it overall. When things go right we tend to only care about the price, but it is when they don't go according to plan that a company really gets a chance to prove itself. I will update once I get the replacement part and get it working. In the meantime just thought I'd share my positive customer service. Thanks for "listening" and happy riding!

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Rocky Mountain ATV is one of the best for fast shipping and customer service!

I agree completely.

As an update, my replacement part appears to be arriving this morning. Maybe I will go switch it out on my lunch break if it really does make it that early.

Reactions: Gassygordo
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update... Winch works like a champ now. Garage is in desperate need of spring cleaning, but I know we need pics or didn't happen on here. hahaha

And of course the P500 is red...everyone knows red is the fastest. lol

contentRedirection

L

lowtidejoe

Apr 13, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
I plan on installing the same winch. Do you think you could use the Honda accessory subharness to make it easier?

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I plan on installing the same winch. Do you think you could use the Honda accessory subharness to make it easier?

You definitely could use it. I didn't, but I did use the same spot it plugs in to source my key on switch power. It is cheap enough that if you aren't 100% confident with wiring it would be worth it.

L

lowtidejoe

Apr 13, 2018
Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Awesome, thanks for your input guys! Did you find a tutorial online somewhere? I’m not sure where to start. I have no wiring/electrical background

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Awesome, thanks for your input guys! Did you find a tutorial online somewhere? I’m not sure where to start. I have no wiring/electrical background

The instructions were pretty straightforward and color coded wires for everything. The only part it doesn't tell you is where to source the "key on" power for the switch. I used a volt meter to find it and I spliced and soldered wires. I'd suggest the Honda ACCESSORY SUB HARNESS PART # - 08Z08-HL5-A00 being that you don't seem 100% comfortable with electrical. I think it is less than $10.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!