P700 Rodents damage

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hi all,

First post here. Got some recent rodent damage under the hood on my 2017 Deluxe unfortunately. It's 3 separate red wires In attached picture that were chewed through. Also found another blue piece wiring goes through like the one you see there on the ground. To my surprise it starts and rides fine. Of course, I have no clue as to what may not be working with that damage. :) Any ideas what the damage might be?

Thanks in advance.

Rodent damage

Reactions: Russ989
William

William

If you ain’t first, you’re last...
Lifetime Member
Aug 31, 2014
Flowood MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Looks like an accessory wire. Should be an easy fix!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Welcome to the club.
Ya, most definitely not factory wires.
Its something added on like lights or winch or other accessories.
Flip some switches and you will find it.

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Ah, that's it. Winch must be dead.

Last edited:
S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Forgot to mention: found plastic rectangular cap on the ground from the same damage chewed up some. Identified as "CAPLUGS RC1530-1". No idea what is supposed to plug. I'll need to take another look at it.

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
OK, at least it's not something super critical. It may be an easy issue for you guys but I am clueless about electrical part. So will need to do some figuring out. :)

Thank you all.

Last edited:
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Forgot to mention: found plastic rectangular cap on the ground from the same damage chewed up some. Identified as "CAPLUGS RC1530-1". No idea what is supposed to plug. I'll need to take another look at it.
That’s one of your frame caps, they pop out all of the time, I’ve lost 2 already.

Reactions: Mudwing
S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
Should be an easy fix, assuming you are a little handy with an OEM meter. If you get into replacing wires, I would suggest disconnecting the battery while working..

Thanks, sadly I'm not. I know my limitations. I had winch installed for me so may have to go the same route to get the wiring fixed.

There are many products out there to deter pest and providing this link as an example,https://www.amazon.com/s?k=peppermi...sl_5q8lvz2xoa_b&tag=Hsxsweb24&tag=sxsweb24-20
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=peppermi...sl_5q8lvz2xoa_b&tag=Hsxsweb24&tag=sxsweb24-20

I've used this product before with questionable success. Haven't sprayed my SxS in a while though so that could've been an issue:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTBOV06/&tag=Hsxsweb24&tag=sxsweb24-20

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have used that peppermint spray on my motorhome for years. I spray the wheel covers, fender wells and anything where they could crawl up to gain access. Never seen any evidence to date.

I think some of it is figuring out how they get in. I can think to spray around wires I can see but not wires I cannot.
Someone found that they were coming in thru the air vent on a motorhome and simply turning the a/c, heat fan to off solved that.

they crawl up on tires, battery tender cables etc. So I spray all that and around the engine compartment.

Maybe I am just lucky. I can't say it works but I can say I have woods all around me and haven't had a problem with any vehicles.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Thanks, sadly I'm not. I know my limitations. I had winch installed for me so may have to go the same route to get the wiring fixed.

I've used this product before with questionable success. Haven't sprayed my SxS in a while though so that could've been an issue:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DTBOV06/?tag=sxsweb24-20
If you keep your sxs under roof, removing the hood is a deterrent, the rats/mice are looking for a safe dry place to build a nest.

S

SM05

Mar 27, 2019
VA
Ownership

1. 700-2
If you keep your sxs under roof, removing the hood is a deterrent, the rats/mice are looking for a safe dry place to build a nest.

Thanks but I do not. It's parked outside under the porch. I have a cover for it which I've been using on and off. It could've just made it more comfortable environment for them when it's on. I think I need to be more diligent spraying the wheels as L2R had mentioned.

We've had some issues with squirrels this past winter. With lots of nut shells I've been finding around SxS I wonder if that could've been squirrel damage instead. Little bastards chewed on door jamb a while back. :mad: So nothing would surprise me about them.

G3Duck

G3Duck

Jan 29, 2019
Clarksville Va
Ownership

1. 700-4
My 700-4D stays in a garage, but it's still not safe from mice. Seems to me the answer is not deterring to mice from your ride but eliminate the mice. My exterminator places small black boxes around the garage. They're loaded with "treats" that the mice get and carry back to their den. They share the treats with the family and a matter of weeks, no more mice. We have two dogs and the black boxes are placed where they can't get to them. Works for me.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
I have a cover for it which I've been using on and off. It could've just made it more comfortable environment for them when it's on.
Yes, putting a cover on it is an attractive nuisance.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
We've had some issues with squirrels this past winter. With lots of nut shells I've been finding around SxS I wonder if that could've been squirrel damage instead. Little bastards chewed on door jamb a while back. :mad: So nothing would surprise me about them.
That wouldn’t surprise me.....

T

Tommyp

Dec 2, 2017
Covington La
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Been using peppermint oil for a year and a half. We have a lot of squirrels. Keep a cover on it with cotton balls soaked with the peppermint oil, one under the hood, one on the front hump and on under by the rear drive shaft. Smells good under the cover and so far it has worked.

H

Hwysupr

Oct 27, 2015
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4
Hi all,

First post here. Got some recent rodent damage under the hood on my 2017 Deluxe unfortunately. It's 3 separate red wires In attached picture that were chewed through. Also found another blue piece wiring goes through like the one you see there on the ground. To my surprise it starts and rides fine. Of course, I have no clue as to what may not be working with that damage. :) Any ideas what the damage might be?

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 118243
Can't help you with the wiring but hunt at a camp down south that has way to many pacrats and other rodents. Had a wire eaten off about 4 years back and luckily had an uncle that fixed me back up. Since then I always leave a light on overnight when down there and have never had an issue since. Solar light so no batteries to worry about, put it on the ground shining under the rig and seems to fix the issue so far.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!