Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
I threw some roll bar clamps together this week. I used a lathe and a mill, BUT you could use a drill press with an end mill bit and get similar results if you took your time. These can be bought for $30+ each from superatv. For me that was a bit steep, since I wanted four of them. Material cost is about $12 each. I used 2.75" OD tube with .5" wall, giving the desired 1.75" ID.

I used the mill to split the tube in half. But if you don't have a mill, you could use a cutoff wheel and grinder and do pretty well I think.

Just an idea I wanted to share with everybody. Now, on to step two of my latest idea...

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's really cool.

Are you going to fracture it to break it apart? That's how some company's used to do con rods for engines.

Also, I guess you had to drill and tap your own holes and counter sink the screw heads? Do you plan on cutting both sides?

I guess I should just watch this unfold instead of asking too many questions. Carry on please

Reactions: Tflynn
d_b

d_b

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 24, 2015
Utah
Good job. It's nice having the equipment when needed huh..Just wish I could make time...

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
New That's really cool.

Are you going to fracture it to break it apart? That's how some company's used to do con rods for engines.
I milled that area down with multiple passes until there was just maybe a 1/16" left, then I did the same on the other side. To finish the cut I used a cutoff wheel, and then a flap wheel to clean everything up.

But before you split the piece into halves you have to countersink with a plunge cut using the end mill bit (this could be done on a good drill press) and drill your holes, that way you can be sure everything will line up. Lastly you tap the bottom half (fun fun) and drill out the holes a little on the top half so the bolts slide through. I should have taken more pictures dang!

Reactions: joeymt33
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Good job. It's nice having the equipment when needed huh..Just wish I could make time...
Yeah time is the hardest part to get ahold of! I've been wanting to build these for awhile

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
So @Tflynn what are you planning to use these bad boys for?
I have two things in store for these. First is a passenger t-hold grab handle per Mrs. Tflynn's request. Second is a modification on my bolt on cage idea. After much deliberation and a realization I can't afford the down time to make a full custom cage, I have an idea of how I can make a removable rear "sub cage" that provides a good place to mount a spare and some additional trail tools, maybe add a winch cradle to it as well. That way when I go trail riding I can put it on and when I'm working around the ranch I can easily remove it.

BlueCollarGuy7007

BlueCollarGuy7007

Mar 2, 2016
DFW Texas
What could be fabbed w/ a Bridgeport sitting in the shop. Yes, I would make a few too .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!