BOX1

Rolled over, now weird back peddle sound

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
So after a tip over today, I let her sit for 20 or so before firing it up. It burned a little white smoke, which I assume is going to happen with the oil situation. After getting back on the trail I noticed a much louder back peddle sound. The engine braking sounded louder in the exhaust.

Everything seems to run fine but I am curious if there's anything that I should be careful of or check other than the oil?

What should one do after rolling it over? What should be checked?

There were no leaks or anything after the rule over so I have no concerns of losing any oil or coolant. I just find it weird that the engine braking or back pedal is definitely louder.

Engine and exhaust are all stock, all of my mods are into tires/tree kickers and various other add ons which aren't relevant to the engine.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
Turn it back up on its wheels. Let it sit for a few minutes. Start the motor and hammer down!
That's what I thought too, especially since I didn't see anything laying on the ground in a puddle! No oil or anything leaked, so I let her sit for 20-30 then fired it up. Still, weird back peddle or engine braking sound. Seems louder, guessing maybe the baffle could have came loose but the exhaust doesn't sound different driving.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That's what I thought too, especially since I didn't see anything laying on the ground in a puddle! No oil or anything leaked, so I let her sit for 20-30 then fired it up. Still, weird back peddle or engine braking sound. Seems louder, guessing maybe the baffle could have came loose but the exhaust doesn't sound different driving.

Yep something had to change. I have no idea what it could have been. Everytime I've tipped or damaged something, I start hearing all kinds of different(new) sounds. I think most of the time it's just because I'm paranoid from the mistakes I just made.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon x4
You said it was smoking white. That is burning coolant.
That was only for a minute or two after the rollover. It sat for 20 or so then started it and seen the smoke. After that, there was no smoking and seemed fine, other than that back peddle sound.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
That was only for a minute or two after the rollover. It sat for 20 or so then started it and seen the smoke. After that, there was no smoking and seemed fine, other than that back peddle sound.

I think it's common for a short puff of smoke on startup after a tipover. Not something I'd worry about - no ideas about the sound changing.

Rayger143

Rayger143

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 5, 2020
Winfield, BC Canada
Ownership

1. 1000-5

It's almost like a baffle has moved in your muffler. Maybe take it off and give it a shake? I had that happen on an old quad of mine.

Reactions: CID and Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's almost like a baffle has moved in your muffler. Maybe take it off and give it a shake? I had that happen on an old quad of mine.
That’s what I was thinking.

Reactions: Rayger143
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!