P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have the Audioformz roof on my P1K, and it was squeaking and rattling.

I put some 10mm neoprene strips between the cage bars and the roof, and it helped, initially...

But over time the neoprene compressed and squeaked even worse.

Last week, it dawned on me: Industrial felt is used for vibration dampening in machining, maybe I could get something that would hold up. So I contacted a supplier and learned about the various grades of felt, and wound up choosing F3 felt in 1/4" thickness and a 2" wide strip.

I just put it in last night, and wow. My roof is quiet! I've seen lots of guys go with pipe insulation and such, but it seems to me that it would squeak as it compresses as well. I don't foresee this being an issue with the felt.

0422211953a 0422211954

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nice fix for a common problem with the aftermarket roofs. My Polaris Ranger with aftermarket roof had this problem.

To be honest, this is the reason I chose the Honda roof .... no squeaks or rattles.

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The one you linked to - is that the exact one you purchased? Was one roll enough for the whole roof? Was pressure enough to hold it in place, or did you need to secure it some other way? Did you just do it in a few strips, or did you do it across the entire rollbar that touches the roof?

Reactions: Lady01
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The one you linked to - is that the exact one you purchased? Was one roll enough for the whole roof? Was pressure enough to hold it in place, or did you need to secure it some other way? Did you just do it in a few strips, or did you do it across the entire rollbar that touches the roof?

Yes, that's the exact roll. There was enough to do the whole roof.

I went most of the way across the back and middle bars, and used a few shorter strips across the front. Also cut some "washers" for each of the mounting screws. No adhesive necessary, it'll pinch in there.

Remove all fasteners and raise your roof enough to put in some wood blocks, that'll give you room to work.

jtb33

jtb33

Apr 4, 2021
AZ
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. Bought a roll of it and while I haven't noticed any significant squeaking, I'm going to preemptively do this.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!