People Dying to come see me!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2014
Brookville, Indiana
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 520
I actually prefer the smaller 1 gallon-3gallon containers versus the larger ones. easier to fit places and stack where the big ones are much heavier and bulkier to handle.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I actually prefer the smaller 1 gallon-3gallon containers versus the larger ones. easier to fit places and stack where the big ones are much heavier and bulkier to handle.

That was my thought too but then I had to buy two of their mounts and they're not cheap! 🤑

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
I thought about two containers vs one large one. Rarely would I ever need the 4 gallons that the large one holds, but it seemed better for a couple of reasons.

First, the weight of the large one is less than two smaller ones. And you still have to add in the weight of two mounts.

Second, the expense is way higher for two Rotopax and two mounts than one single.

Lastly, if I have run my gas tank down close to empty, I really only want to deal with filing the tank back up one time.

I agree that it is large and convivence of the smaller Rotopax would be nice. For me, I made the compromise to get the large one. And it fits really well against the ROPS on the 520s.
20211001 223444737 iOS

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Because I couldn’t get my Rotopax to completely tighten without using a wrench (the detent bumps are too tall, I think), I used a ratchet strap to keep it from moving (movement causes wear). Now it’s a PITA to remove so I carry a siphon hose to transfer and never remove the RP. The hose is 3/8” and I push a bolt in each end so it doesn’t fill with dust. It’s also clear so I can see the fuel before ingesting any.

It’s takes a bit longer but I’m smelling the roses, it’s not a pit stop for me.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
There are a few 3D printed wrench options for the cap, I use this one. I also designed one for the slightly smaller water jug caps.

I just wish somebody made a solid cap for the fuel cans that didn't require the nozzle as part of the seal. I hate having to pull the fuel covered nozzle out and having hands that smell like gas the rest of the day. I would prefer to store the nozzle elsewhere on the vehicle.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There are a few 3D printed wrench options for the cap, I use this one. I also designed one for the slightly smaller water jug caps.

I just wish somebody made a solid cap for the fuel cans that didn't require the nozzle as part of the seal. I hate having to pull the fuel covered nozzle out and having hands that smell like gas the rest of the day. I would prefer to store the nozzle elsewhere on the vehicle.
Funnel?

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My dad has a kolpin roto pax style gas can. I borrowed it last year and there was a pinhole leak in one of the corners. I roughed the area up with some coarse sand paper. Cut a strip of plastic from a jug of windshield washer fluid. Laid the strip over the hole in the tank and heated it up with a heat gun. Kinda worked it in with a flat screw driver. It never leaked during our trip to west Virginia that week and has been good ever since. Zoom in on the bottom left corner of it and you can barely see it there.
View attachment 330402
Here's a better pic of my repair. Doesn't look great but held up great. Was my first time repairing plastic like that
20220430 130411
20220430 130420

Bad_bowtie

Bad_bowtie

Huge member
Lifetime Member
Jun 29, 2016
East Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon x4
I copied @ToddACimer a couple years back and it has worked out pretty good so far. Easily removable if I need the bed space and folds up against the tailgate if the back seat is up.

stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X

I think CID (and I) would like to see a wrench for tightening the mounting wings, as it gets quite difficult getting them tight enough that the cans don't move - especially on brand new cans.

Steve

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I think CID (and I) would like to see a wrench for tightening the mounting wings, as it gets quite difficult getting them tight enough that the cans don't move - especially on brand new cans.

Steve
Not positive but I think the upgraded wing set takes care of that. There are two sets of wings, one to locate on the locking bumps and the other to tighten.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R

Steve
This video shows that the Deluxe T-handle ($24,95 but $35.20 for tax and shipping) will make complete tightening easier, not having to force the single handle past the bumps in the plastic.

Link -

Last edited:
Reactions: FJC 79
stellarpod

stellarpod

Lifetime Member
Apr 18, 2019
OKC, OK - USA
Ownership

1. Talon X
This video shows that the Deluxe T-handle ($24,95 but $35.20 for tax and shipping) will make complete tightening easier, not having to force the single handle past the bumps in the plastic.

Link -

Actually, I already use the "deluxe" mounts. They're definitely easier, but it's still a bit of a challenge to get them really cinched down.

Steve

• Sad
Reactions: CID
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!