P1000 Rough idle, and shift issues

dojo

dojo

Jun 21, 2019
New England
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello,

I've got a couple of issues ongoing with my 2016 P1000-5. Would like to try and get them solved this spring.

1. Rough idle, surging idle.
After starting the idle seems to surge quite a bit, and also surges a bit when the throttle is pressed.

2. Stuck in 1st gear often
I have the code 52 I think it was, saw another thread on it. Going to try and replace neutral switch based on what i've seen, read here so far. Sometimes this goes away after shutting the engine off and restarting it.

3. Squeak/whine when wheels are turning
I'm not sure on this one, it almost sounds like something needs to be lubricated? I've looked and failed to find zerks in the past, and googling hasn't found the solution for this one. Is there a section anywhere on "things you should lubricate seasonally, etc"

Plan of attack:

1. Install new neutral switch. Wires looked ok, not chewed, but there was definitely a mouse in there based on the bedding I saw. This machine is outside during summer months.

2. Replace the battery / convert to dual battery setup. Hopefully this fixes some things, unsure. Voltage reads 14.2v when running.

3. If issues are seen still with idle at this point, consider replacing the fuel pump.

4. If none of the above fixes the idling and throttle surge, consider spark plugs.

Please let me know if you think of anything else I should check out, or if you have any other suggestions on how to better troubleshoot these issues.

dojo

dojo

Jun 21, 2019
New England
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So far I've checked out the shift linkage alignment, which was very minorly out of spec with no difference on the shifting.

I've also checked the air filter, which is clean.

dojo

dojo

Jun 21, 2019
New England
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Alright a few updates here.

Poured in some ISO HEET to see if there was any water in the gas tank. This cleared about 75% of the rough idle. Looks like the next step for that will be cleaning the IAC. Thanks Mark.

Oddly, while pulling a trailer full of mulch around the yard in low gear, she started shifting again. So I am guessing that is my neutral switch on the fritz.

I need to figure out how to safely remove it, I had my hand on it and it feels like there is a circular metal casing around it and it doesn't pull out. Maybe its time to check the manual for that.

Some Pioneer work got back burnered due to spring cleaning stuff. More to come in the next week.

Reactions: Lady01
Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The IACV has been known to been over crimped causing the wires to break right at the connector head INSIDE the insulation. It wont be visible. This can cause surging, low, or high idle.
You wont be able to tell it from looking at it.
Best way to test this is to let it idle and move the wires around, maybe slightly pulling them to strech the wire.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
It's more then likely your shifting issues are caused the shift control motor. I would pull the shift control motor off ,take it apart and clean up the armature etc: make sure the brushes are working properly as well. It's located on the right rear upper part of the motor. It's held on with 3 bolts and one wire connector. The biggest problem with them is that over time the armature gets carboned up and then it does work properly .This is one of these things you can do and it doesn't cost anything just your time. If you search on here about control / shift motor removal clean up etc: you'll find lots of usefull info.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!