russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
My 2016 1000-3 idles rough. I burn 100LL AV gas in it. Is a rough idle just a vehicle characteristic?

Reactions: Isaiah
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Mine has a little vibration at idle.

Why the heck would you run that fuel? 87 octane is what you should run unless you've done engine modifications. If an engine is designed to run on 87, there is zero benefit to running higher octane. Modern fuel injected engines are also designed to handle ethanol blended fuel (it even states this in the manual). Cheapo 87 is the way to go!

Reactions: Isaiah and hurld
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Mine has a little vibration at idle.

Why the heck would you run that fuel? 87 octane is what you should run unless you've done engine modifications. If an engine is designed to run on 87, there is zero benefit to running higher octane. Modern fuel injected engines are also designed to handle ethanol blended fuel (it even states this in the manual). Cheapo 87 is the way to go!

Why? Because it's readily available, fairly cheap here, and I like the way it smells when it burns. :cool: Plus I will never have to worry about carbon buildup.

Reactions: Isaiah and Mudwing
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You are entirely wrong about 100LL on all counts. Burning it vs anything else has no bearing on carbon buildup which BTW is the least of your worries with today’s fuel. siphon it out, get rid of it and use it in your Beachcraft Bonanza. This stuff is not designed to run in your engine. If anything, the lead content in it may have fouled an EGT sensor or O2 sensor. You May be plugging up the catalytic converter with lead. 100LL is designed to perform at higher altitudes and in icing conditions which makes it way to volatile (evaporates quickly) for use in this machine. Yeh, it smells neat, that’s about it.

Last edited:
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
You are entirely wrong about 100LL on all counts. Burning it vs anything else has no bearing on carbon buildup which BTW is the least of your worries with today’s fuel. siphon it out, get rid of it and use it in your Beachcraft Bonanza. This stuff is not designed to run in your engine. If anything, the lead content in it may have fouled an EGT sensor or O2 sensor. You May be plugging up the catalytic converter with lead. 100LL is designed to perform at higher altitudes and in icing conditions which makes it way to volatile (evaporates quickly) for use in this machine. Yeh, it smells neat, that’s about it.

Thanks for the info. I'll revert to automotive fuel. Is there anything wrong with running premium? I don't even like burning 87 in my lawnmower.

Reactions: Isaiah
Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not at all. It doesn’t contain lead. If you run non ethanol fuel, it has a longer storage life than regular 87 with 10% ethanol. Nothing wrong with 87. Just remember to use a fuel stabilizer like K100 when storing for a while. I

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Oh wow, yeah leaded fuel is a BIG no-no in fuel injected engines. I didn't realize that av gas had lead in it. The Cat will definitely be harmed. I hope it's not plugged up. After flushing out the av gas, I'd keep an eye on the Cat. If it gets plugged it could start glowing red hot. Might need to do some surgery to remove the catalyst from the exhaust.

Reactions: TripleB
russknight

russknight

Lifetime Member
Apr 13, 2019
Perry Florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I've been running it for months.

Schmeg

Schmeg

Jan 9, 2020
Bangor Maine
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OK. It has taken that amount of time for the cumulative effects of running fuel that contains lead to start showing. Even if lead fouling wasn’t an issue, the chemistry of 100LL will cause a Lot of issues over time. There is absolutely no side benefit to using it other than it stores really well, but pump fuel can be made to store well with no risks attached.

Reactions: TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!