Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
There's always that damn 1%😉
So I think for "now" a one piece skid plate made from 3/4" marine grade ply will work just fine.
I understand it’s a chunk of money to buy a skid but it’s money well spent. I’ve been fortunate enough to buy two of them now (one for my 700-4 and now for my 1000-5) my last trip to Windrock would have destroyed a piece of plywood. Again, I get it, they’re not cheap but neither is your machine.

JenElio

JenElio

NTC's NoMo Chupacabra Caliente!!....
Lifetime Member
Oct 31, 2019
Loxahatchee, florida
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I understand it’s a chunk of money to buy a skid but it’s money well spent. I’ve been fortunate enough to buy two of them now (one for my 700-4 and now for my 1000-5) my last trip to Windrock would have destroyed a piece of plywood. Again, I get it, they’re not cheap but neither is your machine.
I agree, I would love to put one on tomorrow but the funds for the Pioneer have been put on hold for a bit 🤔 unless my buddy Donald stimulates my bank account soon 😉
We are on our last leg of a major home remodel and the final touches are always the most expensibe. But hey, I'll try my best

J

JTW

I agree, I would love to put one on tomorrow but the funds for the Pioneer have been put on hold for a bit 🤔 unless my buddy Donald stimulates my bank account soon 😉
We are on our last leg of a major home remodel and the final touches are always the most expensibe. But hey, I'll try my best
Quit being a pu$$y... put your foot down and tell the little sammich maker how it’s going to be!!

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
From what I remember ur a wood working guy, so apiece of plywood templates from the original Pos skid plate would be miles ahead. Just make some holes on the passenger side for exhaust temp release and nothing else . Waterproof it up w some left over paint or varnish, and give it , When and if u rip it off , regroup!

If you can cut wood, you can cut UHMW and make a decent skid plate yourself.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
There are trails that aren’t crazy but I wouldn’t go on a stock skid. @Adam490 rode with us at last years Takeover when his machine was new on a factory skid, maybe he will chime in and give his opinion.
Yep - I rode all over RRB with a stock machine with the exception of a winch and extended vent lines for Takeover last year; machine had like 105 miles on it when I got there. You'll have to go slower and choose lines much differently than the guys running full skids in some areas, but you're fine for 75-80% of the trails at RRB. You can certainly ride everything there without an aftermarket skid, but you will 100% bend the cross-members and side tubes without a full skidplate. It doesn't take much for the cross member to bend upwards and then you're sliding over rocks on your oil pan. The shift linkage isn't protected by a cross member either, so without a real skidplate you've only got 1/8" soft plastic protecting that area. I wouldn't venture out of RRB without a full skid.

TL;DR - You'll be fine as long as you don't want to ride any of the more difficult trails or follow along behind guys with the skids at speed. From what it sounds like you'll be doing with the family along you'll be fine.

ToddACimer

ToddACimer

Pioneer 1005-2
Lifetime Member
Oct 7, 2016
Oshkosh, Wi
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yep - I rode all over RRB with a stock machine with the exception of a winch and extended vent lines for Takeover last year; machine had like 105 miles on it when I got there. You'll have to go slower and choose lines much differently than the guys running full skids in some areas, but you're fine for 75-80% of the trails at RRB. You can certainly ride everything there without an aftermarket skid, but you will 100% bend the cross-members and side tubes without a full skidplate. It doesn't take much for the cross member to bend upwards and then you're sliding over rocks on your oil pan. The shift linkage isn't protected by a cross member either, so without a real skidplate you've only got 1/8" soft plastic protecting that area. I wouldn't venture out of RRB without a full skid.

TL;DR - You'll be fine as long as you don't want to ride any of the more difficult trails or follow along behind guys with the skids at speed. From what it sounds like you'll be doing with the family along you'll be fine.

Crossmember and rock slider gussets may be a bit extreme for most people. On my 2018, it rolled off the trailer and on to the lift to get welded/gusseted without even a mile of drive time. Luckily I got about 40 hours of "maintenance" on it before I broke an axle shaft with 7 total miles.

Reactions: JenElio and Adam490
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Crossmember and rock slider gussets may be a bit extreme for most people....

I agree. I was just pointing out those are the areas that take the brunt of the damage with only a factory skid installed riding around in the rocks.

Reactions: JenElio
Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I ordered my full skid from TA, lady on the phone was super nice. I asked her if being a member of hondasxs helped me any and she said yes gets you 10% off. So then I told her that @JTW told me to just f***ing do it and she charged me another 100 bucks. Go figure 🤔

Ridinfool

Ridinfool

NTC’ s special Ed student of the year
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 20, 2020
Western North Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ok I reserved a camp site at eagle rock for 5-28 through 5-31 site 22 the girl told me Memorial Day was sold out. Be there or be square 😎

Reactions: GrnP500
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Ok I reserved a camp site at eagle rock for 5-28 through 5-31 site 22 the girl told me Memorial Day was sold out. Be there or be square 😎
Nice - RSVP over on the regional thread if you don't mind

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!