P500 Rubicon Trail

T

Targets6

Jul 27, 2018
Virginia
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I am thinking about running the Rubicon Trail with my new (currently unmodified) Honda Pioneer 500. This Trail runs from Georgetown, CA to Lake Tahoe and is world famous for the annual Jeepers Jamboree. This trail is reported as one of the most challenging off-road courses in the world. I have made this run on a dirt bike and it was not easy.

My question is this, has anybody on made this run wit a SXS? If so what modifications should I consider to my Pioneer 500? Also, what additional equipment should I carry? Any recommendations and advice would be highly appreciated.

Reactions: BWAF
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Hopefully you are riding with other people on this trip? Preferably, bigger machine's than what you're taking. That trip could be a nightmare for a P5, not much ground clearance over big rocks. Modifying it to a P1 would give you a better shot but if you're going to do it...
bigger better tires for clearance and traction, offset wheels or spacers for stability, a good winch and take everything you can fit on the back, fuel, water, recovery equipment...
Keep us in the loop if you end up doing it, would love to hear how a P5 kicked that trails ass!

Reactions: BWAF and Bad_bowtie
Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
That’s funny I was just daydreaming about tackling the rubicon yesterday. From what I’ve heard every tough obstacle has an easier bypass route. And after researching a little bit I found that the entire trail is only 20 miles? I always thought it was longer than that. But you’ve done it on a bike so you know what you’re in for.

My hunch is you’ll need to add width to the p5 and a winch and not much else

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!