Rugged radio install

Huntndogs

Huntndogs

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2021
San Diego, Ca.
Ownership

1. Talon R
For anyone who has installed a rugged radio and intercom setup, how did you cut the back of the dash? Any pics of the cutout area? Have all the cables run and the dash plate should arrive Monday. Thanks in advance...

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
For anyone who has installed a rugged radio and intercom setup, how did you cut the back of the dash? Any pics of the cutout area? Have all the cables run and the dash plate should arrive Monday. Thanks in advance...
Didn't cut the dash, just mounted it in the large cubby hole and drilled a 1 1/8 inch hole in the back of the cubby hole for the wiring, but that's on a P1, happy slashing. Can you not mount the radio to the top front horizontal ROP? That would be better than slashing your dash?

Huntndogs

Huntndogs

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2021
San Diego, Ca.
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don’t mind cutting the dash as the mounting plate looks good and it would just go with the Talon if and when the time comes to sell it. Should not hurt value any as long as it looks professional.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I don’t mind cutting the dash as the mounting plate looks good and it would just go with the Talon if and when the time comes to sell it. Should not hurt value any as long as it looks professional.
If you are using the RR mount plate, you will need to remove about 2/3 of the upper cubby hole for it to fit.

Sorry, no pics.

D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I put mine(pci) in the over head. No cutting or drilling, all cables except the power and headsets stay up out of the way. Push to talks velcro to the window net brackets. A pair of prp overhead bags give both some much needed storage and a easy way to hide all the cables. IMG 7002IMG 7003

sspeederr

sspeederr

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
May 10, 2020
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I put mine(pci) in the over head. No cutting or drilling, all cables except the power and headsets stay up out of the way. Push to talks velcro to the window net brackets. A pair of prp overhead bags give both some much needed storage and a easy way to hide all the cables. View attachment 267132View attachment 267133
That shelf is that the one from utv source or home made looks kit prp bags as well I'm trying to figure out room for all my stuff I have a 10in table mount to top rops bar, tyt th-8600, rear view and honda bags its a bit crammed

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Mounted mine on the ROPS as well...👍
DA3612D6 9ABC 46EC 85D6 D76369088495

Reactions: lowranger
D

Dankathy

May 4, 2020
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
That shelf is that the one from utv source or home made looks kit prp bags as well I'm trying to figure out room for all my stuff I have a 10in table mount to top rops bar, tyt th-8600, rear view and honda bags its a bit crammed
Nothing special here, radio mount is a 1/4x4 flat bar. Mounts between the roof and the roof mounts, just slightly longer screws to hold the roof down. Prp bags fit well, some adjustment available to clear handholds, we use a ram tablet mount on the passenger grab bar. I don't want to have to be constantly in contact with the tablet, so i am fortunate that it comes with a operator- she makes pretty good cookies to!

Huntndogs

Huntndogs

Supporting Member
Mar 23, 2021
San Diego, Ca.
Ownership

1. Talon R
Got the radio and intercom installed today. Called RR and obtained a copy of the installation instructions that I was not sent with the kit. Made all the difference in the world. I am attaching them here in case someone is curious or searches for this in the future. By the way, I made my cuts with a Dremel tool and an oscillating saw tool. Went very well.

Attachments

• Talon Mount instructions (1).pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 194
Barracuda

Barracuda

Lifetime Member
Oct 14, 2021
Washington state
Ownership

1. Talon X4 LV

2. w/Turbo
I put mine(pci) in the over head. No cutting or drilling, all cables except the power and headsets stay up out of the way. Push to talks velcro to the window net brackets. A pair of prp overhead bags give both some much needed storage and a easy way to hide all the cables. View attachment 267132View attachment 267133
I already had the center "console area" used by the switch plate (my Special Edition has the Honda switch already install from the factory) and I had already spent quite a bit of time getting my accessory switches installed and the wiring was already done:
So when I decided to get the Rugged Radio I wasn't going to tear that out and start over - my switches are energized using the keyed power source which is then run thru fuses and relays to power the accessories, the switches only see a signal voltage - not full accessory voltage:

This left me with finding another location for the radio/intercom. After looking at my options I chose to build a box and mount them overhead with a switch and relay. I think it came out pretty clean - all of the radio system is above the roll bar and isn't visible looking from the front - so it doesnt limit visibility looking forward. The only drawback is that the radio switches arent as accessible as if it was on the dash, but I shouldnt need to use the controls much once they are set.

All of the wiring (power wires, headsets, and antenna cables) is routed along the roll bar and down the A pillars - the headsets and power on the drivers side and antenna on the passenger side, so the antenna is isolated and should eliminate any feedback. I just finished the radio and intercom install and just need to install the mic and test everything.
I also picked up a second battery, isolator, and tray which is now installed as part of the accessory system - all isolated from the factory wiring (the keyed source is the only power used from the engine battery).

Last edited:
lowranger

lowranger

Supporting Member
Sep 23, 2020
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon X
I also mounted my radio and intercom over head. Its up out of the way, I didn't have to cut up my dash and less chance of mud and water getting to it when riding or just cleaning it up. I went with "TheCom" radio and intercom out of Idaho, nice people to work with and answered every question right away.
I also added a second battery.
IMG 20210101 125324812 HDR
IMG 20210101 151458020 HDR

tanks

tanks

Jun 8, 2021
CA
Hey there. I know this is my 1st post but just got done with this! I used dremel and cut out the back of the entire box to use the plate from rugged. Sadly I can’t find this pic anywhere but i can snap a pic of how much I removed if thats helpful. I highly recomment the baja boot because the back of the radio does become somewhat exposed without the plastic box.

I relocated my lights switches with a plate To the outside of the drivers cubby with a plate and then my particle seperator to above the ignition.
50098A8A A601 4EB2 A01B 3CEAAC5D1C9C
B547986C 3859 4797 9CFB DE84D136CC78

I did a plate mount in between the seats for jacking in and then push to talks in the dash below the center cluster because I hated the loop on the steering wheel.

99E20A2B C365 4F07 B29D AB31A4D791C0

EED04923 F357 451B B8D8 C3A72CB0919B

I also made a mount for the antenna so it would sit straight up and down above the roof.

A92EA392 019D 4151 A1BD A1DB69294C91

I have had the system out a few times now with a passenger and love it!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!