Rv journey back from Atlanta

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey I’m looking at gps routes and knowing a bad line of storms is coming across the Midwest tomorrow night / Saturday does anyone live on the route from Atlanta to Memphis through Birmingham or Nashville? I’m up for suggestions here. I definitely don’t want to get stuck on the highway in some crazy storm and blow the camper over or get massive hail damage. @JACKAL you travel a lot what’s your suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey I’m looking at gps routes and knowing a bad line of storms is coming across the Midwest tomorrow night / Saturday does anyone live on the route from Atlanta to Memphis through Birmingham or Nashville? I’m up for suggestions here. I definitely don’t want to get stuck on the highway in some crazy storm and blow the camper over or get massive hail damage. @JACKAL you travel a lot what’s your suggestions?

I’m about 20min south of I-459/I-65 interchange in Birmingham I have a somewhat sheltered wind wise area you can park it. Can’t help with the hail though.

Landman

Landman

The Great Bearded One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 27, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
We’ve driven to NC several times going thru either Nashville or Birmingham. We almost always go the south route due to it being faster. Been caught in some minor storms but nothing crazy.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’m about 20min south of I-459/I-65 interchange in Birmingham I have a somewhat sheltered wind wise area you can park it. Can’t help with the hail though.

Appreciate that. I haven’t seen if the storms are going to be worse on the southern route or the northern route. I’d drive several hours out of the way to not beat my brand new rv to pieces.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Appreciate that. I haven’t seen if the storms are going to be worse on the southern route or the northern route. I’d drive several hours out of the way to not beat my brand new rv to pieces.

2b01cda275c183b6e78ef1d3f8070ed4

Not quite sure which way you’re going. If you can take 75N to 24W to I-40 it’ll be 6+hrs out of the way but probably out off all the weather on the I-20 to I-22 to I-40

If you get to BHam early enough you could run 65N to Huntsville then take HWY 72 West to east of Memphis that’d shave a ton of time off the northern route and get you out of the weather most likely.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 71833

Not quite sure which way you’re going. If you can take 75N to 24W to I-40 it’ll be 6+hrs out of the way but probably out off all the weather on the I-20 to I-22 to I-40

If you get to BHam early enough you could run 65N to Huntsville then take HWY 72 West to east of Memphis that’d shave a ton of time off the northern route and get you out of the weather most likely.

I’m guessing I’ll be leaving out of Atlanta around 5-6pm at the earliest.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 71833

My brother lives north of Atlanta so I could always stay at his house for awhile then leave Saturday early am or something too.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My brother lives north of Atlanta so I could always stay at his house for awhile then leave Saturday early am or something too.

Always welcome in Asheville 3.5 hrs north of Atlanta and on I 40 and I 26.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Asheville? Isn’t that the opposite direction? I’m going from Atlanta to NW Arkansas.

it is, just offering if ever you find Yeself blown off course...

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
it is, just offering if ever you find Yeself blown off course...

Hahaha. Oh ok! Appreciate it! I’ve never driven a sail... I’ve towed my 43’ toyhauler in some nasty weather before but I’ll be a rookie in a bus. Curious to see how I do. Guess I’ll get broken in with some crazy stuff.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hahaha. Oh ok! Appreciate it! I’ve never driven a sail... I’ve towed my 43’ toyhauler in some nasty weather before but I’ll be a rookie in a bus. Curious to see how I do. Guess I’ll get broken in with some crazy stuff.

Ye could be in a Blizzard...

Reactions: Plumber32 and BWAF
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Uh you do have it insured right? .....Hammer down!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

Go through Nashville! Going through Birmingham sucks! Plus the truck traffic between Atalanta and Birmingham is awful!

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Go through Nashville! Going through Birmingham sucks! Plus the truck traffic between Atalanta and Birmingham is awful!

Makes sense to me also. Everyone I’ve talked to said Birmingham is better to go to Memphis. I’ll do some gps scenarios tomorrow afternoon to see how traffic is.

Reactions: Tigermark and BWAF
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

Where are you going from Atlanta?

I'm running in front of the storm now crossing Nebraska at 80mph.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Makes sense to me also. Everyone I’ve talked to said Birmingham is better to go to Memphis. I’ll do some gps scenarios tomorrow afternoon to see how traffic is.

Well if the dealership is in Woodstock your allready a good 40 miles north of the perimeter (285) . From Woodstock cut over to 75north and hammer down.

EVEN If you were in Atlanta city limits and you looked on your GPS it will be shorter millage wise to go thru Birmingham, but in actuality you will get home faster in that Motorhome going thru Nashville!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well if the dealership is in Woodstock your allready a good 40 miles north of the perimeter (285) . From Woodstock cut over to 75north and hammer down.

EVEN If you were in Atlanta city limits and you looked on your GPS it will be shorter millage wise to go thru Birmingham, but in actuality you will get home faster in that Motorhome going thru Nashville!
To that end better to take I24 west instead of I40 to Nashville. Less mountains and traffic.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!