Sacrilegious tire inflation.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
How do you fill your new tires? Most people take their tires to a shop to inflate. Most don't have enough air supply or hose fittings large enough to allow that volume of airflow into their tires to seat them. I hate taking anything to a shop to have work done. My new tire was delivered tonight. And my new wheel arrived a couple days ago. I'm going to try what I always did with my quad tires. I expect it to work for me with this larger tire. And it is something you may try if you are out somewhere with no other option. With the quad tire on the rim but not seated, I would dump about an ounce of gasoline in the tire. Then I would light a piece of paper and throw it into the tire opening. Boom. The tire would seat on the wheel rim. It may not be your type of adventure. But it may be something you experiment with for that possible situation.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Starter fluid is a lot better option and easier to control. A 1 second spray inside is usually plenty then light it. It also won't light the rubber on fire or leave residue. Still dangerous though.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s much safer to pull the valve stem core and use a ratchet strap around the tire to push the bead out.

Once the bead seats, put the core in quickly and then remove the strap at you slowly bump air pressure in.

this method can be done with any small compressor provided you can get the beads pushed out.

using the accelerant method can be dangerous.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It’s much safer to pull the valve stem core and use a ratchet strap around the tire to push the bead out.

Once the bead seats, put the core in quickly and then remove the strap at you slowly bump air pressure in.

this method can be done with any small compressor provided you can get the beads pushed out.

This is what I always try first. Starter fluid is a last resort and I hate doing it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X

This ^^^^^^ It's always worked for me, some dish soap around the bead helps to seal it and get it to pop quicker

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
Starter fluid is a lot better option and easier to control. A 1 second spray inside is usually plenty then light it. It also won't light the rubber on fire or leave residue. Still dangerous though.
There are better fluids to use. But on the trail, alone, you will have gas, or you aren't going anywhere anyhow. I have never carried lighter fluid with me. I don't even have any at home.
This ^^^^^^ It's always worked for me, some dish soap around the bead helps to seal it and get it to pop quicker
I know that works for some. I've tried it with multiple straps with no luck. I guess it may be more difficult with different tire types and wheel sizes. And I tried it at home with a big compressor. I can't recall which tire /wheel I was trying to mount. My point is to inform members that there are options when you are on the trail. I think most are unaware of these saving remedies. Now they will have several options to get moving again.

The soap on the bead, yes, you must ride dirt bikes. Absolutely makes life easier. 30 psi instead of "yikes" 80 psi and safety glasses.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R

When I attempted using the ratchet straps I was a little concerned. I thought about the pressure that the tire exerts on the strap with the increased air pressure. You have no idea what pressure is on the web straps. And if they break, what the whip effect could do to my head. I did put a rug over it while I was trying it.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When I attempted using the ratchet straps I was a little concerned. I thought about the pressure that the tire exerts on the strap with the increased air pressure. You have no idea what pressure is on the web straps. And if they break, what the whip effect could do to my head. I did put a rug over it while I was trying it.
Psi is psi. The strap only holds the bead out till enough psi (air) can hold the tire out. You don’t keep adding air to the tire once the bead stops leaking. That’s then you stop and release the strap. The tire may have 1-2 psi in the tire at that point.

using an accelerant creates an uncontrolled explosion that could end up with the bead or tire blowing off the rim and seriously hurting you or worse. You’ve essentially created a bomb. A 1” ratchet strap snapping is nothing in comparison.

I’m not speaking as someone with out experience....I’ve mounted and dismounted thousands of tires in my early years. I’ve seen and done stupid crap with tires. Yes I’ve used ether before. Also blown belts off tires seating them on rims. Installing a tire on a rim is a dangerous job even with the right tools.

this is what a real tire shop would use.

Last edited:
TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Psi is psi. The strap only holds the bead out till enough psi (air) can hold the tire out. You don’t keep adding air to the tire once the bead stops leaking. That’s then you stop and release the strap. The tire may have 1-2 psi in the tire at that point.

using an accelerant creates an uncontrolled explosion that could end up with the bead or tire blowing off the rim and seriously hurting you or worse. You’ve essentially created a bomb. A 1” ratchet strap snapping is nothing in comparison.

I’m not speaking as someone with out experience....I’ve mounted and dismounted thousands of tires in my early years. I’ve seen and done stupid crap with tires. Yes I’ve used ether before. Also blown belts off tires seating them on rims. Installing a tire on a rim is a dangerous job even with the right tools.

I hated using starting fluid because of the danger so I bought the cheaper bead blaster from northern tool. U can catch it on sale for $100 often. It works great. I've used it on 15 utv tires in the past year I've owned it.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I hated using starting fluid because of the danger so I bought the cheaper bead blaster from northern tool. U can catch it on sale for $100 often. It works great. I've used it on 15 utv tires in the past year I've owned it.

This one? https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200673910_200673910

I was wondering if it was any good. I had to use straps when seating 32's on my beadlocks last time around and wondered if one of those might be handy to have.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Biteme

Biteme

Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2020
North West New Mexico
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Does not matter what you use, mounting a tire can be deadly. Worked in a tire shop when I was a youngster, have seen faulty beads fail when the tire is being inflated and the tire pop like a balloon. My teacher at the tire shop had a huge scar on his face that was caused by a tire failure while inflating, said it almost killed him so always use caution when inflating your tire to the bead.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Some tips are to unwrap the tires right a away if they are shrink-wrapped, and DON'T stack them. Also, put them in the hot sun for a bit. Much easier to do when they are nice and pliable.

The beadblaster works, but if you don't have enough compressor to seat the beads, you'll probably have trouble filling the blaster up.

J

Junkyard

Nov 20, 2020
San diego
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Lots of inflators need the valve core in for them to work. I use a nozzle with the rubber tip about 3 feet long, flows more air too. Stand the wheel up and I push on it if need be. That way I’m out of the line of fire from the bead. I only use starter fluid or gas out of necessity. I might need to add some tube to my kit so I can pull some out of the tank. No need to siphon just cap the end of tube with your thumb.

Reactions: Biteme
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Back in the early 80's at night, trying to mount a 3wheeler tire used gas and then a little more gas and lit it, boom, dirt and rocks went flying, we all looked and saw nothing but rim and a couple seconds later the tire comes back to earth landing on the rim, very lucky someone wasn't hurt badly. No more of that crap!

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have a tire changing tool at home. Not here in Arizona. Can't recall the last time I used it. I trade my cars in before they need replace.
Today I mounted my Mongrel tire on my new rim. Much easier than mounting tires on my Harley, KLR or DRZ400. All I had was 2 shorty motorcycle tire irons. After getting the tire on the wheel, I was lucky the sidewalls voluntarily pushed out towards the bead and sealed pretty good. I think I could have inflated it with a bicycle tire pump.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!