P1000 Sagging Suspension

caleb7160

caleb7160

Mar 30, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Anyone else having an issue with the rear suspension sagging? The drivers side is sitting about an inch lower than the passenger. My only guess would be that it's an issue with the shock. Still running on the factory shocks and the machine was wrecked and repaired before I purchased it.

J

JTW

Anyone else having an issue with the rear suspension sagging? The drivers side is sitting about an inch lower than the passenger. My only guess would be that it's an issue with the shock. Still running on the factory shocks and the machine was wrecked and repaired before I purchased it.
We need pics... but it’s probably a busted shock if all the mounts are good and nothing is bent. Wouldn’t be the first.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We need pics... but it’s probably a busted shock if all the mounts are good and nothing is bent. Wouldn’t be the first.
Think somethings fishy about the repair. Unless it's a bent shock shaft.

Bayouownbeer

Bayouownbeer

Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2014
Chauvin LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is same haven’t looked into yet. I have spare on that side in the bed 50lb I figured that’s what my issue is.

caleb7160

caleb7160

Mar 30, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine is same haven’t looked into yet. I have spare on that side in the bed 50lb I figured that’s what my issue is.

It's only off slightly but you can definitely see it. If you find out what's going on with yours, please post an update! So far I haven't been able to find anything that looks broken or out of place visually.

Reactions: Bayouownbeer
T

tinystech

Jun 26, 2023
Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2018 pioneer 1000-5 with the same issue. I bought it from my cousin last spring (3,500 miles then) and it was only about 1/2” off but nothing was bent or looked like an issue.

I have ridden 1,500 miles since then and now my Drivers Side is sagging 1.25” with a full tank of gas and my 280 pound butt not in the seat.

The machine is all stock, only standard maintenance has been done. Should I just switch the shocks left to the right..? Will this even work? Feels like I would prefer the lean on the other side and I just use it to maintain the farm by myself.

If the driver side shocks are failing (if) I probably don’t want to switch sides. Best to put new shocks in but what would everyone suggest?

Maybe someone has another solution.

Thanks!

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2018 pioneer 1000-5 with the same issue. I bought it from my cousin last spring (3,500 miles then) and it was only about 1/2” off but nothing was bent or looked like an issue.

I have ridden 1,500 miles since then and now my Drivers Side is sagging 1.25” with a full tank of gas and my 280 pound butt not in the seat.

The machine is all stock, only standard maintenance has been done. Should I just switch the shocks left to the right..? Will this even work? Feels like I would prefer the lean on the other side and I just use it to maintain the farm by myself.

If the driver side shocks are failing (if) I probably don’t want to switch sides. Best to put new shocks in but what would everyone suggest?

Maybe someone has another solution.

Thanks!
With age and mileage it would not be surprising to see a shock sagging. The rear shocks on a 1000-5 deluxe have what is called "auto leveling." basically there are valves inside the shock that are supposed to level the machine after you start moving. The rear shocks are kind of gimmicky.

As far as shock options go you can spend $700 on a set of rough country M1 all the way up to $5000 for Elka Stage 5. There are many brands of shocks with all different price tags. You need to set a budget and then do some research. Most people on here are very happy with the fox shocks. The rough country vertex are very new and some people on here would love to see some reviews of those.

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Springs hold the buggy up, shocks only damp the travel. Sacked springs are common.

This Talon tender is supposed to be ~4” but sacked out over a few months because of the weight I’ve added. This is with the preload at max.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Springs hold the buggy up, shocks only damp the travel. Sacked springs are common.
^ This.

FWIW, after I brought home my brand new 2021 P1K5, it listed to the left just a tad -- but enough for me and my buddy to notice.

Everything looked fine, but I assumed something was amiss with the spring on that side.

I knew I was going to be replacing the stock cushions with Fox QS3's (which would allow me to adjust the preload to ensure a even stance), so I just ignored it for the first few months. Now that I have the aftermarket coilovers on there (different springs as well), all is well.

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!