BOX1

Same size tires on Factory Wheels

D

DorkMissile

Jun 24, 2020
Twin Cities, MN
Ownership

1. Talon R
Basically- is it an issue with the 7” vs 8” wheels (effecting diameter slightly)

Reactions: Isaiah
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Out of curiosity- would it be ok to run 30x10-15s on stock 1000R wheels
Yes you can but there are 2 things to be aware of...

1. As DorkMissle already pointed out, the front rims are narrower and will cause the front tires to be ever so slightly taller. However, because the tires are now the same size and the front load is only 45% of the rear, you should run a couple pounds less in the front and that should pretty much negate the size difference.
  2. Because of the stock offset and different stock tire widths, you will be 1 inch wider that stock in the front and 1 inch narrower than stock in the rear. Overall, the front tread width will now be 2 inches wider than the rear tread width.

Reactions: TripleB
GreenTX1000R

GreenTX1000R

May 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That is what I am doing same size tires as you waiting for tires to get here.

GreenTX1000R

GreenTX1000R

May 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Just got my 30x10x15 mounted on OEM rims looks awesome.

GreenTX1000R

GreenTX1000R

May 10, 2020
Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Tire is GBC Mongrel 10 ply 36lbs and a true 30” tire. Been busy but as soon as I can will post pictures.

Doogle

Doogle

Nov 30, 2020
Surprise,Az Cincinnati,OH
Ownership

1. Talon R
Yes you can but there are 2 things to be aware of...

1. As DorkMissle already pointed out, the front rims are narrower and will cause the front tires to be ever so slightly taller. However, because the tires are now the same size and the front load is only 45% of the rear, you should run a couple pounds less in the front and that should pretty much negate the size difference.
I understand having less psi in the front tires because they carry less weight. I don't understand why you would be concerned with them being taller than the rear. Is it because the wheel speed sensors want to keep each wheel turning the same speed? Would it think the rear wheels are slipping because they are turning more rpm's than the front?

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
I understand having less psi in the front tires because they carry less weight. I don't understand why you would be concerned with them being taller than the rear. Is it because the wheel speed sensors want to keep each wheel turning the same speed? Would it think the rear wheels are slipping because they are turning more rpm's than the front?
Good Question!

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Probably not enough to freak out the i4WD or trigger any codes. Just common sense to keep things on a 4X4 vehicle moving at the same speeds in relation to a stock setup, especially on hard pack surfaces in 4WD. If you increase the rear tire diameter by 10%, you should try to increase the front diameter by 10%, not 11% or 9%.

Will it hurt anything to be slightly larger or smaller in the front? Probably not but it may handle strange in 4WD.

Reactions: Doogle
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Another theoretical question - although a lower tire pressure results in a shorter diameter (re: lever arm - axle centerline to ground surface), the tire circumference remains the same, so will it travel the same distance as a fully inflated tire or will slippage occur to make up that difference, however small?

Another point to consider - the gear ratios between the front and real diffs on a Talon are different. This has been a common 4WD practice for decades and one of the reasons that we shouldn't run in 4WD on pavement, the driveline will bind up causing high wear. The reason for this numerical difference - engineering would rather the front be slightly pulling the rear, it doesn't want the rear pushing the front.

sporttrac4x4

sporttrac4x4

Lifetime Member
Jan 7, 2016
ILL.
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Sometimes cheaper cost more in the long run. Just like short cuts. For me it's easy to order the tires on the rim's and sale the take offs.

Reactions: Backwoods
ThunderChicken

ThunderChicken

Sep 7, 2019
BATH
Ownership

1. Talon X
wondering the same thing. I just picked up a set KRX takeoffs. 31x10x15. debating on putting them on my stock wheels or going with a set of beadlocks.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
wondering the same thing. I just picked up a set KRX takeoffs. 31x10x15. debating on putting them on my stock wheels or going with a set of beadlocks.
If you haven't done any suspension tuning, beadlocks will allow lower tire pressures to help soften the X's rather stiff ride. I tried 12 pounds on stock R wheels but couldn't relax anytime I put a load on a front tire in a hard turn or off camber.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!