San Rafael Swell.

TheHoover

TheHoover

Jun 26, 2018
PNW
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey everyone, we are planning a ride to the San Rafael Swell. Planning on the end of April. I have a couple of questions.

What kind of weather and snowpack can we expect?
Some of the trails look pretty fun!(YouTube). Do I need to pack extra parts? Axles, A-arms, etc. Or can you get through nice and easy?
Is there a good central camping spot to hit all the trails and see all the sights? Or would it be better to camp as we move along the trail?(load up the Pioneer with camping gear).
Is the Swell going to eat my Bighorns? Haha.
Anything else I need to know?
I’ve found the more you know, the better you can prepare!
We are planning on spending 4-5 days down there. We originally planned on the Paiute Trail, but I’m thinking we’ll be fighting snow. Any advice is appreciated!
@Couch

Reactions: Gofish
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Or would it be better to camp as we move along the trail?(load up the Pioneer with camping gear).
Haven’t been to that particular trail system but mobile camping is always a blast. At that time of year have good gear though!! :cool:

Reactions: TheHoover
P

PaiuteTrailPioneer

Apr 30, 2016
Utah
Hey everyone, we are planning a ride to the San Rafael Swell. Planning on the end of April. I have a couple of questions.

What kind of weather and snowpack can we expect?
Some of the trails look pretty fun!(YouTube). Do I need to pack extra parts? Axles, A-arms, etc. Or can you get through nice and easy?
Is there a good central camping spot to hit all the trails and see all the sights? Or would it be better to camp as we move along the trail?(load up the Pioneer with camping gear).
Is the Swell going to eat my Bighorns? Haha.
Anything else I need to know?
I’ve found the more you know, the better you can prepare!
We are planning on spending 4-5 days down there. We originally planned on the Paiute Trail, but I’m thinking we’ll be fighting snow. Any advice is appreciated!
@Couch

End of April is iffy. (I’ve lived here my whole life). It might be warm. It might be snowing. Generally speaking, it’s still pretty cold around Easter, but starts to warm up after that. Plan on it being windy. Most of the trails on the swell are pretty straighforward and relatively smooth. There is a ranch exit with a trailhead just off of I-70 that is a good place to camp. Don’t forget to go through eagle canyon, and plan a trip to goblin valley. I have done it both ways, camping as you go, and returning to a camping spot. Both have upsides and down, and it really just come up to personal preference. The bighorns will be fine. That’s what I have run in the past. There is a big Honda dealer in Richfield (that’s where I live) if you need anything while you are here, they can help you out.

Reactions: TheHoover and TimG
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
End of April is iffy. (I’ve lived here my whole life). It might be warm. It might be snowing. Generally speaking, it’s still pretty cold around Easter, but starts to warm up after that. Plan on it being windy. Most of the trails on the swell are pretty straighforward and relatively smooth. There is a ranch exit with a trailhead just off of I-70 that is a good place to camp. Don’t forget to go through eagle canyon, and plan a trip to goblin valley. I have done it both ways, camping as you go, and returning to a camping spot. Both have upsides and down, and it really just come up to personal preference. The bighorns will be fine. That’s what I have run in the past. There is a big Honda dealer in Richfield (that’s where I live) if you need anything while you are here, they can help you out.
Cool, great information!! :cool:

Reactions: TheHoover
Lava

Lava

Dec 26, 2017
LAVA HOT SPRINGS IDAHO
Ownership

1. 500
I was riding the Swell about the same time. What a hidden treasure!

UTV

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!