SATV 400 watt EPS kit for the Talon Install and Review

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
Decided to start a new thread for installs and reviews of the new SATV EPS kit. I ordered earlier this week and the big brown truck dropped it off this morning. I'm shooting an install video that I'll add once everything is done but here's some pics to get us rolling. I know others are and will be installing so feel free to add your pics and thoughts.

As usual with Super ATV there is a very nice packing job. All parts plastic wrapped and in with a well thought out styrofoam insert. Kit arrived in perfect condition.

52669438038 b9b0dca30d b
52668940561 d90886ede9 b
52669227234 8409943d35 b
52669227154 8b00dcfb5b b
52669227409 2e24fcbe41 b
52668944921 2acd171d5d b

Last edited:
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
The printed instructions are very generic. I'd give them a 5 out of 10. Several steps should be added in my opinion. I'll show a few tips and more in-depth how to's in the video. I have the original EPS unit and the shafts out now. Taking a little break and finishing later. One thing for sure is my added fuse box and wiring are in the way. The SATV EPS unit is huge compared to the Honda unit. Going to be interesting to see how or perhaps if the much larger SATV unit and ECM is going to work with my added accessories.

Here's the Honda vs the SATV...

52669227334 2c0bd8a57f b

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
The printed instructions are very generic. I'd give them a 5 out of 10. Several steps should be added in my opinion. I'll show a few tips and more in-depth how to's in the video. I have the original EPS unit and the shafts out now. Taking a little break and finishing later. One thing for sure is my added fuse box and wiring are in the way. The SATV EPS unit is huge compared to the Honda unit. Going to be interesting to see how or perhaps if the much larger SATV unit and ECM is going to work with my added accessories.

Here's the Honda vs the SATV...

View attachment 372919
I probably have really stupid question, can they not just make a bolt on motor?

Reactions: Smittyp
TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
After fighting with the motor and the shafts for the last 2 hours I officially give up for today. I'm sure that there are plenty of guys out there that can get this to work by themselves but I am not among them. Some additional hands would be a great help. I'll get somebody to come and help and resume the install then.

52669504324 13fb8691ca b

TerryH

TerryH

Supporting Member
Sep 13, 2019
Springdale, Ar
Ownership

1. Talon X
It's in but not without some issues. Turns out that there is an incorrect drawing in the instructions. The provided upper shaft needs the sliding splines to be toward the steering wheel not toward the EPS unit. Clearly shows the shaft in the wrong orientation in the instructions. This caused a mess for us. The block end of the sliding spline U joint hits the bracket holding the steering column as does the head of the bolt. Lots of in and out and back and forth before we figured out what the problem was.

52671838348 098449ba06 b

After we were done I saw that in this picture the shaft is actually oriented the correct way. Of course prior I just kept going back to the incorrect picture saying that's how it needs to be. :mad:

52671772875 df5e970a9b b

I'm saying "we" because it is 100 times easier to deal with the install with 2 people. Thankfully my buddy Bill came over this afternoon and helped. The install is complete now and it works fantastic. Definitely a very worthwhile upgrade. I can turn the steering wheel with 1 finger even on asphalt. I still need to button everything up and finish the video. I'll post more pictures with in-depth instructions on the install in the next few days.

52671642624 e721fafb62 b

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
It's in but not without some issues. Turns out that there is an incorrect drawing in the instructions. The provided upper shaft needs the sliding splines to be toward the steering wheel not toward the EPS unit. Clearly shows the shaft in the wrong orientation in the instructions. This caused a mess for us. The block end of the sliding spline U joint hits the bracket holding the steering column as does the head of the bolt. Lots of in and out and back and forth before we figured out what the problem was.

View attachment 373018

After we were done I saw that in this picture the shaft is actually oriented the correct way. Of course prior I just kept going back to the incorrect picture saying that's how it needs to be. :mad:

View attachment 373020

I'm saying "we" because it is 100 times easier to deal with the install with 2 people. Thankfully my buddy Bill came over this afternoon and helped. The install is complete now and it works fantastic. Definitely a very worthwhile upgrade. I can turn the steering wheel with 1 finger even on asphalt. I still need to button everything up and finish the video. I'll post more pictures with in-depth instructions on the install in the next few days.

View attachment 373019
Thanks for doing the legwork here and sharing Terry, saved me some frustration for sure!

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Curious to know how it feels at speed.. Seems like it would be sensitive if it's that easy to steer parked..
Sometimes it's harder than hell to turn the wheel if you're not moving. There's been a few different theory's as to why but it definitely happens.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Got mine installed. Huge improvement and can’t wait to get it out on the rocks!

Instructions are definitely a bit lacking but install isn’t too bad. Did it myself albeit with lots of cussing :).

Thanks again @TerryH for going first!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!