PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
My large wire harness mod works good at eliminating the dangerous loss of assist in tight turn scenarios in dirt/trail/sand and helps somewhat with other issues but does not address the issues that some of us have on slower, hard surface conditions. I love to rock crawl and the paltry 210 watt OEM steering is just not enough for a nearly 1 ton machine so I decided to look for something better.

SATV has a "400 Watt" universal kit. I decided to try and see if it would fit and it turned out to be a moderate (7 out of 10) fabrication for the Talon.

Got the installation finished but before we go into detail, let me point out a couple things...
  1. First off, although this unit only tested around 310 watts, don't be discouraged. It must be geared different because it is only 50% more watts but provides twice the torque that the OEM motor does. This unit is pretty powerful and in my opinion, this is actually better because it only uses 50% more watts and provides twice the assist torque. I am kind of glad it isn't really 400 watts.
  2. If you can afford it and can wait until they have more in stock, just buy the bolt in Raceco kit (it uses the same motor and ECU). Fabbing your own from this kit takes some know how, precise measurements, some basic equipment and a welder (and a lathe would be nice too but not necessary) and a LOT of time and patience If you are like me and love to mod, then go for it, it isn't really that hard.
  3. The unit is huge and powerful. It drives effortlessly at 12 PSI and you can definitely tell when the tires are at 4 PSI on asphalt but still provides ample assist at low pressures, even when stopped. It does NOT bind up when you are against a hard obstacle (I tested on 12" high parking stop at my local school) so I suspect a vast improvement when rock crawling. It provides consistent assist from lock to lock (unlike the OEM system).
  4. It does take slightly more effort to trigger the torque sensor so it is less sensitive but more powerful (if that makes any sense). At the lower torques it is similar to stock but to get the higher output torque, you have to apply slightly more input torque. The OEM unit stop adding assist at 45 inch pound input while the SATV unit utilizes up to 60 inch pounds of input. This isn't anything bad, just different.
  5. The torque sensor on the OEM is better (tighter) so this unit does have a very slight amount of play at center. Only noticed it on a straight long street, probably never notice off road. Again, nothing bad, just want everyone reading to know what to expect.
  6. The speed sensor works and varies the assist. At 12 psi, the assist variation at speed works adequately when connected and makes corners much safer. Without the VSS connected, the car is a bit twitchy and you can dangerously oversteer going into a corner. However, it is a little annoying when running low tire pressure like when rock crawling. At 4 PSI, there isn't enough assist when turning while braking into a corner (somewhat like the OEM but not quite as bad) but it is acceptable with the VSS disconnected and the assist at full power at all speeds. For that reason, I connected the VSS feed to a switch so I can disengage it when running low tire pressure.
  7. This think can produce some HEAT!!! The ECU more so than the motor so cooling may be required, especially if you have a full firewall like I do and no ventilation. I am working on this but have not come up with anything yet so I am running with the cowl off for testing.
  8. You can disable the OEM warning light or you can utilize it if you want. The OEM light is grounded to turn it off or you can wire a relay and let the SATV unit use it like I did.
  9. There is a clocking situation that you need to keep in mind. All the talon shafts and joints are 36 spline so no matter where you place the joints, everything always lines up but the output shaft of the SATV unit is 20 spline. This means that there are only 4 positions that will be correct to keep the steering wheel perfectly centered to the rack. If you don't clock the input and output joints correctly, you can be up to 8 degrees off and with what appears to be a centered steering wheel will net you a rig that will turn sharper one way and you won't be able to correct it by moving the wheel. This is easily avoided if you make sure the yokes are clocked correctly. If the yokes are not aligned, you just need to rotate them both on their shaft (output between 1 and 4 teeth) until they are correct then mark the shafts so you put it together correctly.
  10. I suggest you NOT do it exactly the way I did. I wanted to preserve the OEM parts in case it didn't work as expected so I "made it fit" with the middle shaft and joints and it made things much more complex than they needed to be. I learned as I went along and it was too late to change the direction I took. For that reason, I will show how I installed it in basic terms and what I would do different if I were to do it again.
The input splines are the same as the Talon but the distance from mount (including an adapter plate) was about 24mm higher and I wanted to use the OEM middle shaft and joints. To do this, I made a drop bracket to put the input shaft in a similar location to stock (there is some adjustment in the stock setup). It is a very tight fit and there is very little room for error and In retrospect, I would not have done it this way. It would be better to make a flat adapter plate and cut about 20mm out of the middle shaft instead. The middle shaft is the cheapest part of the steering column at $30 so it you screw it up, it won't cost much. The lower shaft (all 1 piece) is $300 so it is a bigger gamble to mess with that one.

Here is the drop bracket bolted to the motor. It is so tight, I was not able to weld in the corners because it wouldn't fit if I did. A flat bracket will not have this problem...
PXL 20220717 211617273

It is so tight, I had to countersink one of the mount bolts. A flat bracket will not have this problem...

Factory Middle Shaft installed without modifications. You can see my clock marks that I talked about above...

The rack is smaller than the other shafts so for the bottom shaft, I had to swap the lower end from the OEM shaft to the SATV shaft. This is tricky and you can easily ruin the little u-joint cups. You must chisel/grind/drill the stake marks or you will destroy the cups trying to press them out...

The output from the steering motor is some odd proprietary 22mm X 20 spline. I had to remove the shaft from that and weld it to the input shaft I modified above.

This is the lower shaft (from the motor to the rack) welded but before paint. It consists of parts from the SATV upper shaft, lower shaft and the OEM end...

Power must come from the OEM winch wires. If you have a winch or are using that wire to tie in a second battery then just connect it there. If you are not using that wire, you will need a terminal post and also to connect the winch wire in the battery box. The ground is simply connected to one of the mount bolts (the Talon frame is well grounded). If your SATV kit has 6+ foot power wires, I suggest you cut them down.

The white wire must hook to a key on power source.

The optional blue VSS wire can hook to the pink wire on the original PS ECU. You can also tap into it at the big square plug just above the steering motor here...

BELOW IS FOR REFERENCE ONLY!!! I did not do it this way but suggest that you explore this option. It would probably be better to build a flat mount plate, build the lower shaft as I explain above (but slightly longer) and and modify the OEM middle shaft something like this...

Last edited:
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
@RB3offroad might be interested in making and selling an adapter kit?
And that would be great. I have more helpful hints for anyone that wants to try...

For instance, if you make the adapter plate in a horseshoe shape, the motor can be installed in a similar procedure like OEM and without disassembling the steering column or removing the rack. Attached is a PDF of a pattern that can be used as a basis, just make sure you print it full size and don't let Adobe "shrink to fit" or it will be off a little. Here is a screenshot...

Attachments

• 400 Watt PS Adapter Bracket.pdf
    21.6 KB · Views: 86
ODAMO

ODAMO

Oct 12, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Where do the units on the 22 Pioneer and 23 Pioneer-6 fit in? I understand that the 22 was beefed up a bit with a brushless motor and the 23 even more so.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Where do the units on the 22 Pioneer and 23 Pioneer-6 fit in?
More superior than pioneer models and Talons before them. Again, in order to change any past model to that system, its a complete rig wiring harness, and alot of stuff.
Its in the other thread that started this one. Search it to read all about it.

Last edited:
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Had a SuperAtV box sitting by the door when I got home from lunch. Hopefully get a chance to install this weekend

View attachment 372427
Awesome, anxious to hear your feedback on it.
Sidebar, other retailers could learn a few things on shipping from SATV, they have the some of the fastest in the business.

Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Awesome, anxious to hear your feedback on it.
Sidebar, other retailers could learn a few things on shipping from SATV, they have the some of the fastest in the business.
For sure!! I’ve had things delivered next day after ordering at 6-7pm the day before if it ships from their Shreveport location.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!