P500 Save weight or better flotation?

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Warning, I'm fairly certain I'm "splitting hairs" here so I apologize in advance.

A quick question for those of you that have experience running staggered width tires ( Example: 26 x 9 in front and 26 x 11 in back) AND skinny on all four corners (26 x 9 )

Did the weight savings of running "skinny" tires in back outweigh the reduction in flotation?

Or, to ask in another way, was it worth giving up a little flotation in order to save some weight?

I have always run a staggered setup so I really don't know what the felt difference, if any, would be. I plan to run 26 inch Bearclaw HTRs and the difference between the 26x9 and 26x11 is about 6.5 lbs each.

I ran these tires in the staggered setup on my 2016 Pioneer 500 and it was fine but I also think it may have been geared lower than the 2017 through 2022 models.

Thanks

Reactions: crewcabrob
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Warning, I'm fairly certain I'm "splitting hairs" here so I apologize in advance.

A quick question for those of you that have experience running staggered width tires ( Example: 26 x 9 in front and 26 x 11 in back) AND skinny on all four corners (26 x 9 )

Did the weight savings of running "skinny" tires in back outweigh the reduction in flotation?

Or, to ask in another way, was it worth giving up a little flotation in order to save some weight?

I have always run a staggered setup so I really don't know what the felt difference, if any, would be. I plan to run 26 inch Bearclaw HTRs and the difference between the 26x9 and 26x11 is about 6.5 lbs each.

I ran these tires in the staggered setup on my 2016 Pioneer 500 and it was fine but I also think it may have been geared lower than the 2017 through 2022 models.

Thanks
Won't make a damn bit of difference (probably) BUT if you run all 4 the same you can rotate your tires with no adverse effects !

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Won't make a damn bit of difference (probably) BUT if you run all 4 the same you can rotate your tires with no adverse effects !
You can buy wheels with the stock off sets and not have to buy spacers, that's what I did and running stock width front and rear. Yep, I don't rotate tires, run in Turf or 4WD almost all the time, tires wear evenly that way and last a long time.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Can't speak specifically to your question, but I run 27s (9 front, 11 rear) HTRs on my 2018 P500. I tend to crawl through the pud muddles; never been stuck and seldom spin . . .
That is how I tend to handle the mud and why I really like the HTRs. I have them on my rubicon and they have pulled me through, up, and over plenty of obstacles . But they do like to grab ruts.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
The wide's do give you better flotation but the skinny's dig better for turning. I run the same size on all four but I've never rotated mine.
I probably wouldn’t rotate them much either so I won’t kid myself there. I’m thinking I’ll just stick to my original plan of running 26x9 front and 26x11 rear. I KNOW that works for my riding style. I will just put the new wheels and tires on before I drive it: that way I wont notice a power loss 😉
And, I wont need spacers if I put 4+3 Delta steel wheels on all 4.
problem solved…until the next time I need tires.

500oneer

500oneer

15,000 mile club
Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014
Central PA
Ownership

1. 500
I have 6,000 miles on my 4 26x9 bighorn2s and am ready to rotate. The back ones are more worn and have plugs in them. 4 skinnys are cheaper and lighter.

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!