P500 Scoped Rifles

M

Macanudo

Apr 27, 2017
Utah
Ownership

1. 500
What is the best way to store a scoped rifle on a 500? Hunting season is coming up and I am getting my new pioneer ready. I don't worry too much about a shotgun getting bumped around a little, but it makes me nervous jostling a scoped rifle around much.
Mac

Reactions: sharp
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I put in an ovhd rack and it seems to hold it very well with no scope contact. I have also left it in a very thick padded case in the passenger seat. My golf cart bed is not quite as wide as the rack and I have a set of ATV rack fin grips on one side as well but I don't like that location as the rear tires sling mud and water on the gun.

Reactions: sharp
E

elkguide

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Mar 14, 2017
Vermont
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Overhead all the way.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I've carried my scoped rifle in a gun scabbard on the quad for 15 seasons and it always shoots bang on. The rifle rides nicer in the overhead rack so I'm not worried at all.
My $0.02. Al

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
A roof rack on a P500 is only good for a very short carbine like the ruger American ranch. Too narrow. That cabelas bag works great.

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
In Colorado if you put your rifle in a overhead rack you are going to buy yourself a big O ticket. They must be fully enclosed in a soft or hard case and be unloaded in the chamber and magazine. And open ended scabbards or cases are also prohibited and the same applies to bows.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I have a gun boot and like it but most of my riding and hunting is on private land I like having quicker access to it. If on public land or roads I put it in the gunboot so I don't get hassled by the authorities.

Reactions: JTW
idcwby

idcwby

Oct 16, 2015
Idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Mine sits right next to me, I've had them on the door side or in the middle. I've also put them in a soft case and tied it to the rack behind your, I did have it siting on the back rack so it wasn't in the air. Most of my guns are to long to be stored in a overhead rack.

The main thing would be state laws as others have pointed out.

idcwby

Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
I use the Cabela's 52" TAC Gear gun holder, it works great and gives good protection to your rifles.

Gun Holder

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
My ovhd rack works great for carbines and my Knight muzzle loader with a 22" barrel. On my bolt action rifles the barrel passes under the roll bar and sticks out a couple inches. I also have a gun boot I strap to back of roll bar if going to be on public land or county roads.

B

Blackdawg

Nov 23, 2016
Kentucky Lake, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 500
I have tested the husky tool box that fits it. I plan on using it to store 2 rifles with soft cases. I also will be able to lock it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

W

willyqbc

Sep 11, 2017
british columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I use a plastic gun case (kolpin i think) screw clamped to the roll bars, this one came with a soft case inside. The upper rack is for shotgun.
MqjG01b

When I want to carry a scoped rifle handy inside the cab i use this...(forum member NPN's idea)

SUVkeNo

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I use the Cabela's 52" TAC Gear gun holder, it works great and gives good protection to your rifles.

View attachment 53367

Could this be mounted up inside the roof area between the outer roll cages so it doesn’t block the rear view? I’ve looked at these cases several times at cabelas.

KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
22" barreled Knight Bighorn just fits, my bolt action and shot gun stick out a couple inches
Gunrack

Reactions: JTW
Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Could this be mounted up inside the roof area between the outer roll cages so it doesn’t block the rear view? I’ve looked at these cases several times at cabelas.

Don't think so, the zipper to slide the guns in are in the ends, one on each side, so it has to be hanging down to get access.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!