P1000 Second Battery Wiring for Accessories

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all, new to SxS's but not to automotive customization. I have a question regarding having all my accessories come on with one of my rocker switches. I'm not really looking for key on at this point. Just figure I can flip my "main" rocker switch and utilize whatever accessories I want. I have ordered the below items:

Second Battery
Quadboss Battery Isolator
6 Gang Fuse Block

From what I have read on the forums it seems most are going with a DPDT switch to allow for key on use. I have attached a quick drawing of what I am thinking. My biggest question is how to wire the "main" switch so that it turns on power for the other switches? Do I use a relay in between the isolator and the fuse block? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• _SXS-Wiring.pdf
    17.1 KB · Views: 144
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi all, new to SxS's but not to automotive customization. I have a question regarding having all my accessories come on with one of my rocker switches. I'm not really looking for key on at this point. Just figure I can flip my "main" rocker switch and utilize whatever accessories I want. I have ordered the below items:

Second Battery
Quadboss Battery Isolator
6 Gang Fuse Block

From what I have read on the forums it seems most are going with a DPDT switch to allow for key on use. I have attached a quick drawing of what I am thinking. My biggest question is how to wire the "main" switch so that it turns on power for the other switches? Do I use a relay in between the isolator and the fuse block? Thanks everyone.
If all you want is switched power and not key On Then I would use a stinger to control power to fuse block with a simple switch to control the stinger. Wouldn’t need to be a dpdt I don’t think

Reactions: TripleB
DAV11

DAV11

Supporting Member
Dec 12, 2018
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put the relay between the second battery and the fuse box. Run your switch to control the relay.

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies, so I ordered the Stinger Isolater/Relay and will return the Quadboss Isolator I ordered. Plan is to run the the main switch to activate the Stinger Relay which will in turn provide power to the fuse block. Let me know if anyone see's an issue with doing this. Thank you.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the replies, so I ordered the Stinger Isolater/Relay and will return the Quadboss Isolator I ordered. Plan is to run the the main switch to activate the Stinger Relay which will in turn provide power to the fuse block. Let me know if anyone see's an issue with doing this. Thank you.
Im not sure if i am understanding correctly but using the stinger relay to switch your fuse block is independent of the isolator operation. So I dont think you should return the isolator. Without the isolator you are just putting the two batteries in parallel and may run down your primary battery with the accessories. Let me know if i misunderstood.
if you want your accessories (from the fuse block) to be switched you should get a SPST switch that you can use to actuate the stinger relay. i think this is what you are intending. The DPDT switch you have seen used is to allow you to toggle between key on power activating the stinger and switched power activating the stinger (or shutting it off).

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’d keep isolator as well.

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Im not sure if i am understanding correctly but using the stinger relay to switch your fuse block is independent of the isolator operation. So I dont think you should return the isolator. Without the isolator you are just putting the two batteries in parallel and may run down your primary battery with the accessories. Let me know if i misunderstood.
if you want your accessories (from the fuse block) to be switched you should get a SPST switch that you can use to actuate the stinger relay. i think this is what you are intending. The DPDT switch you have seen used is to allow you to toggle between key on power activating the stinger and switched power activating the stinger (or shutting it off).

I was under the impression that the Stinger is both and Isolator and a relay?

D

Dron_jones

Oct 8, 2020
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-3
It is but it sits in between the second battery and fuse box not between the two batteries. You still need the true isolator between the two batteries

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The stinger is a relay. It only makes connection for the big terminals if current is applied to the small ones. It will only make the connection between the battery and fuse block when key on or other power is applied. The isolator measures volts and detects when they drop below a certain point and will shut off preventing overdraw from your main battery. The stinger is used as an isolator when it’s placed between the two batteries instead of between aux battery and fuse box. with Key off no connection between batteries your acc can’t drain your main battery.

Reactions: JoeyL
J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The stinger is a relay. It only makes connection for the big terminals if current is applied to the small ones. It will only make the connection between the battery and fuse block when key on or other power is applied. The isolator measures volts and detects when they drop below a certain point and will shut off preventing overdraw from your main battery. The stinger is used as an isolator when it’s placed between the two batteries instead of between aux battery and fuse box. with Key off no connection between batteries your acc can’t drain your main battery.

Ok, thank you. I have attached a new wiring schematic, please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

SXS Wiring

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Ok, thank you. I have attached a new wiring schematic, please let me know if this is correct. Thanks.

View attachment 232402
Ya that’s your basic setup. The isolator is independent So it protects the main battery from being drawn down to low. You’ll need to control that stinger. And it will need a small ground.

Reactions: jpanicaro and JoeyL
JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5

View attachment 232402
yep looks good. you will just need a power source to activate the stinger. could be key on power, direct wired to the stinger. or a switched power source from the aux battery (you could use a source from the main but i would pull it from the aux battery).

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
yep looks good. you will just need a power source to activate the stinger. could be key on power, direct wired to the stinger. or a switched power source from the aux battery (you could use a source from the main but i would pull it from the aux battery).

Understood, thats my plan is to run power source from the aux battery to the main switch and back to the stinger.

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a couple thoughts:

it would be a good idea to run an inline fuse on your stinger activation power source since its pulled direct from the battery

also pay attention on wiring the switch so you dont end up with a switch light that is always on

Good luck!

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just a couple thoughts:

it would be a good idea to run an inline fuse on your stinger activation power source since its pulled direct from the battery

also pay attention on wiring the switch so you dont end up with a switch light that is always on

Good luck!

Thanks for the advice, I will definitely run an inline fuse for the switched source.....switch light always on??????

JoeyL

JoeyL

Lifetime Member
Jan 28, 2020
Houston
Ownership

1. 1000-5
switch light always on??????
depends on what kind of switch you plan on using. most of us use the carling switches that have 2 lights. one that is intended to stay on with key on power to illuminate the switch when its off, and one to indicate that the switch is on.

if you just plan on using a simple unlit toggle switch then there is no issue
these are great switches, but a little pricey.

J

jpanicaro

Oct 26, 2020
SWFL
Ownership

1. 1000-5
depends on what kind of switch you plan on using. most of us use the carling switches that have 2 lights. one that is intended to stay on with key on power to illuminate the switch when its off, and one to indicate that the switch is on.

if you just plan on using a simple unlit toggle switch then there is no issue
these are great switches, but a little pricey.

I ordered the PBR 6 switch panel with cup holders.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!