P500 Sedona Rip-saw tires

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
Greetings - Can anyone post up their comments REF: Sedona Rip-Saw tires?? Looking for any and all comments regarding wear, performance and ride-ability..Looking at 26" for the P500.

Criteria:

1. Hunting Rig.
2. Utility rig in the following terrain: Mountains <(Appalachian), snow, mud, clay loam, some loose stone.
3. Bang for the buck..
4. Wear and tear.

All comments and reviews!!!

Reactions: 100Acre
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Greetings - Can anyone post up their comments REF: Sedona Rip-Saw tires?? Looking for any and all comments regarding wear, performance and ride-ability..Looking at 26" for the P500.

Criteria:

1. Hunting Rig.
2. Utility rig in the following terrain: Mountains <(Appalachian), snow, mud, clay loam, some loose stone.
3. Bang for the buck..
4. Wear and tear.

Depends on whether that clay is red or white.

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member

Criteria:

1. Hunting Rig.
3. Bang for the buck..
4. Wear and tear.

Sorry I can't comment on the rip saws, but I have Kenda Bearclaw HTR on mine. Great tires for your criteria. You may want to check them out. ;)

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
Reactions: rocmar
ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
You may want to check them out. ;)
Will do!! Comments on you selection ref:

1. Hunting Rig.
3. Bang for the buck..
4. Wear and tear.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
OK now we are in the weeds, or clay as it seems..

https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_MANUSCRIPTS/west_virginia/WV085/0/ritchie.pdf

Pages 5 -21 will give you a break down of soil composition. But focus on the MnC and the Vad and VaC types. Ritchie is the early to mid season areas that I hunt in.
Well it seems that Ritchie county has the following soil composition:

37% Gilpin soils
35% Upshur soils
3% Vandalia soils
25% minor soil

With that low of percentage of Upshur soil, I think the Sedona Ripsaws will be fine, so long as you ride only within the same county. Now if you were to venture out, say to the east, then you should go with the Bighorn 2.0's

Reactions: ChungasRevenge
JWB

JWB

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2016
California MD
Ownership

1. 500

Criteria:

1. Hunting Rig.
3. Bang for the buck..
4. Wear and tear.

I chose the rip-saws based on the review on atvtv.com. They track really well on everything from pavement to loose gravel and mud. Never been in sand or snow yet. I'm guessing they would suck in sand. They ride stiff as hell, and although they are 6 ply rated, they are way stiffer than the 8 ply bear claws on a friends machine. 4-5 psi gives full footprint in a lightly loaded P500, but I noticed alot of rolling resistance on pavement at that pressure. The tire and wheel combo was $830 delivered on the wheels with lugnuts. According to other reviews I've read or watched, they wear like steel. I have about 350 miles on mine, about 30% of that on pavement or hard pack, and there's no apparent wear on them yet. Took pic of stock rear for comparison the day I mounted them DSC00938 Air shocks 5

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
Now if you were to venture out
There's the rub. I do hunt farther east in the mountains in the Preston Co area. Mountains here are like old mens teeth, rounded and worn down. A lot of rock base, some silt and generally snow late season. I'm looking at the 2.0's as well!

ChungasRevenge

ChungasRevenge

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2016
The Land of Nod
Ownership

1. 500
they wear like steel.

Thanks for the detailed run down...I'm definitely leaning in that direction. Watched the Atvtv.com vid too. I've never run in the sand here so I don't think that is a concern. Snow fer' sure in the late season higher elevations. The wear and tear is one of my top screening criteria. But, I have read several reviews here on the forum REF: the 2.0's. Seem to be very popular and often praised..

ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
The ripsaws and 2.0's both have very good reputations...

I own the Bearclaw HTR's and am very happy with them.

1. Hunting Rig. - Great - smoother ride than other tires, even though they are 8 ply
2. Utility rig in the following terrain: Mountains <(Appalachian), snow, mud, clay loam, some loose stone. - I've had very good luck in these conditions. Surprisingly, the HTR's clean out much better than I expected in the mud. Used them in some challenging rock trails as well. Knocked one off the bead and had to ride it flat all the way back to camp (about 1/2 mile). The tire was not damaged at all. Very durable!
3. Bang for the buck.. This is where they really shine. The HTR's are one of the cheapest options, and they are 8 ply. You will save probably $100 going with the HTR's instead of 2.0's. The ripsaws are more expensive too.
4. Wear and tear. - I have over 1,000 miles on my set of HTR's and the tread shows only slight wear. I will easily get another 1,000 miles on them before I'd even consider changing them out. Most of my miles are roads (paved and gravel).

Also, I've been using them plowing snow and I am very impressed with their performance on both deep and packed snow.

I'm sure you will be satisfied if you choose one of the three tires mentioned. They all get shining reviews. Just thought I'd share my experience with the HTR's. Good luck!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
There's the rub. I do hunt farther east in the mountains in the Preston Co area. Mountains here are like old mens teeth, rounded and worn down. A lot of rock base, some silt and generally snow late season. I'm looking at the 2.0's as well!
2.0's is what I've been running, very happy with 1,000 miles. Rock is my biggest competitor, otherwise hardpack, red clay and gravel.

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Sedona,s
a very good spendy
tire...

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
The ripsaws and 2.0's both have very good reputations...

I own the Bearclaw HTR's and am very happy with them.

1. Hunting Rig. - Great - smoother ride than other tires, even though they are 8 ply
2. Utility rig in the following terrain: Mountains <(Appalachian), snow, mud, clay loam, some loose stone. - I've had very good luck in these conditions. Surprisingly, the HTR's clean out much better than I expected in the mud. Used them in some challenging rock trails as well. Knocked one off the bead and had to ride it flat all the way back to camp (about 1/2 mile). The tire was not damaged at all. Very durable!
3. Bang for the buck.. This is where they really shine. The HTR's are one of the cheapest options, and they are 8 ply. You will save probably $100 going with the HTR's instead of 2.0's. The ripsaws are more expensive too.
4. Wear and tear. - I have over 1,000 miles on my set of HTR's and the tread shows only slight wear. I will easily get another 1,000 miles on them before I'd even consider changing them out. Most of my miles are roads (paved and gravel).

Also, I've been using them plowing snow and I am very impressed with their performance on both deep and packed snow.

I'm sure you will be satisfied if you choose one of the three tires mentioned. They all get shining reviews. Just thought I'd share my experience with the HTR's. Good luck!

Keep in mind ...
Ripsaws throw big
dog nuts...all over...
if muddy...also I've
seen them throw rocks
softball size...with ease
...good luck on your choice

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I chose the rip-saws based on the review on atvtv.com. They track really well on everything from pavement to loose gravel and mud. Never been in sand or snow yet. I'm guessing they would suck in sand. They ride stiff as hell, and although they are 6 ply rated, they are way stiffer than the 8 ply bear claws on a friends machine. 4-5 psi gives full footprint in a lightly loaded P500, but I noticed alot of rolling resistance on pavement at that pressure. The tire and wheel combo was $830 delivered on the wheels with lugnuts. According to other reviews I've read or watched, they wear like steel. I have about 350 miles on mine, about 30% of that on pavement or hard pack, and there's no apparent wear on them yet. Took pic of stock rear for comparison the day I mounted themView attachment 28590 View attachment 28589

Stiffness could be tire
presure....play around with
um......
I don't ride the Blacktop
...and prefer a softer tire

rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
Really...
1st I've heard
of checking the soil
...before buying tires
.....to each his own

Reactions: R-Lamm
rocmar

rocmar

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
This old man's teeth
are fine....
the word some....should be added

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!