Talon Selecting four wheel drive

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The Talon manual says it is ok to engage four wheel drive while moving except when wheels are spinning and or high power usage.

The mech at dealer yesterday told me I had to stop to engage four wheel drive. I told him the Honda manual does not say this. My machine is making a horrendous noise while four wheel is engaged. It also hangs in four wheel and does not want to disengage even after the indicator symbol on dash panel goes out. At dealer now.

Do you only select four wheel when stopped or do it on the fly like the manual stats?

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
The Talon manual says it is ok to engage four wheel drive while moving except when wheels are spinning and or high power usage.

The mech at dealer yesterday told me I had to stop to engage four wheel drive. I told him the Honda manual does not say this. My machine is making a horrendous noise while four wheel is engaged. It also hangs in four wheel and does not want to disengage even after the indicator symbol on dash panel goes out. At dealer now.

Do you only select four wheel when stopped or do it on the fly like the manual stats?
Personally everything that I own that’s 4 wheel drive I stop and engage/disengage four wheel drive, no matter what manuals say. It’s just my personal conviction.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’d default to the manual in arguments with dealer then get Honda involved if they say they won’t warranty it since you admitted to shifting while moving as per the manual.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I constantly shift in and out of 4WD many times a day with no problems at all. 1500 miles mostly duning and I like 2 wheel most of the time for the fun factor of slipping the rear end but when I anticipate the need I will flip it into 4WD on the fly when moving. However, if I fail to shift it and get stuck or start to slip, I DO NOT try to shift at that point, I stop and shift.

As far as noise, in 4WD mine has a VERY slight drivetrain rumble. Every machine I have driven has the same noise, some worse than others and my Talon is almost imperceptible but it is there. It is normal but anything more than a slight rumble is not normal.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Stopped , rolling , on the fly , anytime . No issues BUT I would not do it under stress like spinning the rear wheels . If I look at something that I think might spin a tire in 2wd , I put in 4x4 .

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for the replies. My Talon was hardly noticeable in four wheel earlier. I can't really say exactly when the noise started or gradually got louder. It has less than 800 miles now. Now it is so loud I consider it not usable until fixed somehow. Will find out more when the holidays are over and everyone gets back to work.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks for the replies. My Talon was hardly noticeable in four wheel earlier. I can't really say exactly when the noise started or gradually got louder. It has less than 800 miles now. Now it is so loud I consider it not usable until fixed somehow. Will find out more when the holidays are over and everyone gets back to work.
Good luck with that and let us know what develops.

Reactions: HUCK
F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X

I would like to know the end result as well. When on dry surface mine will make some gear type noise and I take it out of 4wd as soon as I get on dry ground or at the top of a hill climb. When I'm at the sand dunes it is in 4wd constantly except when coming and going to and from my camp area.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
I shift mine in and out of 4WD on the fly all the time. Never been any kind of problem, and no discernible noise, and I think it’s perfectly acceptable! Shifting between hi and low range is another story. Always stop before shifting between hi/low ranges!

Reactions: stellarpod
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The one thing no one has mentioned. Does your four wheel disengage immediately? Mine stays engaged even after the dash
indicator goes out. I can tell by the noise, it does finally disengage later.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Dajo, briefly let off then hit the throttle, it can't disengage until unloaded.

Reactions: Iowamike and CID
D

dankathyc

Feb 6, 2019
hurricane ut
Ownership

1. Other Brand
6000 miles on mine, noise hasn't changed from new. I always run 4 wheel drive except when on asphalt. It does seem to come out of 4 wheel when the light changes- the noise does change. I find the indicator so hard to see that I disregard it. Just a little dust and sunlight makes the display useless. Mine will engage at speed, but I have to be very slow or stopped before it will disengage. Works for me- run down a hard surface road in 2 wheel, let off the throttle when I get into gravel or dirt and go to four wheel. Get back to asphalt it seems prudent to stop or slow to look for traffic as it disengages, pedal down and on to the next place

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
H

HondaTech

I've noticed in the few LE model Pioneers and Talons I've driven that a noise in 4wd is noticeable that is not there in 2WD. Since it seems to be a common noise across i-4wd models, I assume it's a normal thing and shouldnt cause any issues.

I've never stopped to engage or disengage 4wd on a Honda product. The electronically actuated models arent going to engage if the wheels arent matched in speed. So if you've got the rear wheels spinning and the fronts not moving the 4wd wont engage until wheel speed is close.

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks for responding, I was wondering if you had ran into this but I guess I have a one off issue.
I am familiar with the normal noise, we drove a new Talon after mine. My Talon makes a lot more noise like their is a bearing or gear starting to fail. I consider it undrivable the way it is. Waiting on Western Honda now closed until tuesday.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
Thanks for responding, I was wondering if you had ran into this but I guess I have a one off issue.
I am familiar with the normal noise, we drove a new Talon after mine. My Talon makes a lot more noise like their is a bearing or gear starting to fail. I consider it undrivable the way it is. Waiting on Western Honda now closed until tuesday.
I've read about some loosing a C clip that holds the u joint caps in the front driveshaft. Might be a good thing to check.

Reactions: ohanacreek
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've read about some loosing a C clip that holds the u joint caps in the front driveshaft. Might be a good thing to check.

Hope the dealer checked that but who knows. They are supposed to doing what Honda tells them to do. They were supposed to call yesterday and did not.

P

Pan

Apr 9, 2016
Gorham NH 03581

I own a 2016 Pioneer 1000, and it says to stop completely before shifting. I really haven't got a problem with that. I'd rather be in 4 wheel drive before getting in the rough then to wait till I'm in the middle of "oh crap", then its too late.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!