P1000 Seriously Considering - Need knowledgeable opinions - suspension

ATCTim

ATCTim

Oct 11, 2018
Lake Lucy, PA
Ownership

1. 500
Hello Honda SXS Family!
I am currently trying to do my homework regarding the QS3 Fox Shocks on the Pioneer 1000-3 SE. Background: I have a 2018 P5 and I love it. It is so very capable and makes all things SxS easy. It is my pleasure to play with it both in my garage modding it as well as on the trails beating the ever-loving snot out of it. Whatever I dish out, it laps it up like a thirsty dog. I have many of friends who also have P5s (approx 8 or 9 of us). I built mine as soon as I bought it. The important upgrades were the Power Steering, the Walker Evans, and Hondaline bumpers and a snow plow by Warn. I have many, many other upgrades and farkles, but those are the important ones. A few months back we purchased a 2021 P52 for work on our land. First thing to do once bought.........Power Steering and this time Elka Stage3 shocks - and the Honda plow system (I like it way better than the Warn system - Good Job Honda). I know that the P5 is almost unbearable, exaggerated by a bad back, without upgraded shocks on harsh trail rides - and driving a friends without Power Steering was a chore. That said.................................

I am looking hard at the Pioneer 1000-3. I was dead set on a Talon-X - but I do enjoy being the odd man out and dancing to the beat of my own drum. I feel I could make a 1000-3 handle somewhat sporty, much like I did with my P5. I DO realize it will never be a true sport machine like a Talon, but I think I could make it do what I will need from it. My biggest debate hurdle is do I buy a Special Edition with the QS3 shocks, or do I save several thousand dollars, buy the base model, and build it up with the money I saved??? Part of me says the Special Edition already has the "important" upgrades right from Honda (PS and Shocks). I could most likely do the upgrades myself and maybe save a little - maybe not......

How good are the QS3s?????? Has anyone upgraded from stock base model to aftermarket shocks??? Power steering is a must. Does the LE have it?

Any info would be good. Main purpose of this machine would be trails and light duty work around 12 acres. I am a fast paced trail rider, and really would be happiest with another 50HP and 4 inches more leg room in my P5, but I digress......impossible.......This is why I am looking hard. A Talon-X is also not out of the question at this point either.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for reading.

toddvdh

toddvdh

Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2020
Green Bay, WI
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
All of the 1000’s have power steering.

I have a talon-x and a 1000-5 deluxe for reference.

The talon is by far a sportier trail machine. That being said, I upgraded the stock shocks on my 1000-5 to the fox qs3’s this summer. It made a world of difference. Way nicer ride on trails. They were about $ 1,300.

If I could only have one, I would chose the pioneer 1000 because of the versatility. Especially coming from a p5 that you were happy with. The pioneer 1000 is way more machine when trail riding.

the deluxe is worth the money over the base, or at least it was when I bought it. Just for the nicer rims and led headlights. Not sure where prices are now, but at the time the deluxe only $1000 more than the base model. I personally couldn’t see paying the extra for a LE or SE. especially if you like building your own stuff.

pic just because.

C8CE8BF1 39B3 4F1D BDCB 16827BCD2997

Last edited:
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Suspension is everything off road, buy as much as will fit your environment and budget. It's why I bought the Talon R over the X, I don't have any width constraints in the high country or desert. The caveat, I don't use mine for work, it's strictly for exploring the backcountry.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@ATCTim you said it yourself you love to tinker and beat your own drum. I personally would save the money and get a deluxe or base and build it yourself. Yes the fox shocks are nice. I did that to my p1 (started as a base)
B91271CC 414C 4CFE BEB6 2BC1C9AE0FDC
and then updated the springs on them and added SATV arms. A marked difference in the ride. I 2 have a P1 and a Talon Like @toddvdh has, Two differnt machines. But u can make that P1 real nice as well. Good luck and post pics of your project to what u decide.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I personally couldn’t see paying the extra for a LE or SE. especially if you like building your own stuff.
Agreed 100%.

I could have gotten a 2021 P1K5 SE (found one in stock last fall).
Held off just a bit and managed to find and snag a 2021 P1K5 Phantom Camo Deluxe just a couple weeks later.

The SE would have cost me a bit over $27K OTD (plus a R/T drive from MI to VT).
I paid $20,255.94 OTD for the Deluxe. (it was an hour away).

I've since added a literal boatload of aftermarket accessories and upgrades, including the Fox QS3 shocks (purchased, waiting on delivery), an Ice Crusher in-dash cabin heater, Honda OEM roof, Honda OEM underdash storage, SuperATV flip up windscreen, Badland 5000K winch + SuperATV synthetic rope, Boss stereo and Boss ROPS mounted speakers, a dual battery setup + TruAM isolator, a complete CEC cab enclosure, Throttle Maxx, RAD Customs shifter covers, a Samsung Galaxy Tab A 10.7A tablet + RAM mount (for mapping), PBR dash plate/cupholder, rear view mirror, Trail Armor full skid plate and A-arm guards, NOCO Genius 2D charger plus a lot of other smaller stuff (relays, fuse blocks, dual voltmeter, switches, rear lights, etc.).

Even with all that, I've still spent less out of pocket for the Deluxe + goodies than what I would have spend buying the SE over the Deluxe.

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The main thing you want to consider with the LE is the i4wd system.

The question is whether you want full manual control and selectability over your diffs, range, lock and gearing, or whether you want a computer controlling some of that detail.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
The main thing you want to consider with the LE is the i4wd system.

The question is whether you want full manual control and selectability over your diffs, range, lock and gearing, or whether you want a computer controlling some of that detail.
Good point. 👍 I've been completely happy with the i4wd but watching Blown Budget Offroad videos shows me that I haven't scratched the surface of the SxS environment out where I ride. Those guys do some crazy sh!t and I wonder how well the i4wd will work in that extreme riding. I'm about to find out, they just bought a totaled Talon to add to their stable.

Last edited:
P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've always thought of my Pioneer as more of a truck than a buggy, and having full control over those variables brings me back to wheeling days of the 80s. Keeping it simple and fundamental.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've always thought of my Pioneer as more of a truck than a buggy, and having full control over those variables brings me back to wheeling days of the 80s. Keeping it simple and fundamental.
I like the i4wd because I can't feel it and can engage it for most up hills so I'm not spinning the rears so much. I wouldn't use a locker very often and the back tires would pay the price. Does the P1K have an unlocked front option (3 wheel drive)? I can also On/Off the i4wd when moving at any speed.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Hello Honda SXS Family!
I am currently trying to do my homework regarding the QS3 Fox Shocks on the Pioneer 1000-3 SE. Background: I have a 2018 P5 and I love it. It is so very capable and makes all things SxS easy. It is my pleasure to play with it both in my garage modding it as well as on the trails beating the ever-loving snot out of it. Whatever I dish out, it laps it up like a thirsty dog. I have many of friends who also have P5s (approx 8 or 9 of us). I built mine as soon as I bought it. The important upgrades were the Power Steering, the Walker Evans, and Hondaline bumpers and a snow plow by Warn. I have many, many other upgrades and farkles, but those are the important ones. A few months back we purchased a 2021 P52 for work on our land. First thing to do once bought.........Power Steering and this time Elka Stage3 shocks - and the Honda plow system (I like it way better than the Warn system - Good Job Honda). I know that the P5 is almost unbearable, exaggerated by a bad back, without upgraded shocks on harsh trail rides - and driving a friends without Power Steering was a chore. That said.................................

I am looking hard at the Pioneer 1000-3. I was dead set on a Talon-X - but I do enjoy being the odd man out and dancing to the beat of my own drum. I feel I could make a 1000-3 handle somewhat sporty, much like I did with my P5. I DO realize it will never be a true sport machine like a Talon, but I think I could make it do what I will need from it. My biggest debate hurdle is do I buy a Special Edition with the QS3 shocks, or do I save several thousand dollars, buy the base model, and build it up with the money I saved??? Part of me says the Special Edition already has the "important" upgrades right from Honda (PS and Shocks). I could most likely do the upgrades myself and maybe save a little - maybe not......

How good are the QS3s?????? Has anyone upgraded from stock base model to aftermarket shocks??? Power steering is a must. Does the LE have it?

Any info would be good. Main purpose of this machine would be trails and light duty work around 12 acres. I am a fast paced trail rider, and really would be happiest with another 50HP and 4 inches more leg room in my P5, but I digress......impossible.......This is why I am looking hard. A Talon-X is also not out of the question at this point either.

Sorry for the novel and thanks for reading.
Until we know more details on what is in fact changed on the MY 2022 Pioneer 1000 series its hard to fully recommend. It was mentioned in the 2022 thread that most iterations of the Pioneer 1000 will use I-4WD system like the LE & SE only currently enjoy.

That then boils down to what the 2022 Trail Edition & Forest Editions (think 2021 LE & SE) have for suspension. For the current ask of $6K for the SE over the Deluxe model, I would consider a 2022 1000-3 Deluxe and then add Elka Stage 3 to 5 shocks and the accessories you want. The SE is nice but that windshield leaves a lot to be desired compared to the @SuperATV flip up windshield.

IF you don't like wrenching at all putting on your accessories and $$$ isn't an issue maybe the 2022 version of the SE (thinking Trail Edition) may have the Fox QS3 or could even be Walker Evans (far fetched unlikely whispers). At this point I would wait and see, details hopefully will be announced on the 2022 Pioneer 1000 & Talon series within next 30 days.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I like the i4wd because I can't feel it and can engage it for most up hills so I'm not spinning the rears so much. I wouldn't use a locker very often and the back tires would pay the price. Does the P1K have an unlocked front option (3 wheel drive)? I can also On/Off the i4wd when moving at any speed.
i4WD is significantly different than either an unlocked or locked front diff. It provides the traction of a locked diff without negatively impacting steering.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
i4WD is significantly different than either an unlocked or locked front diff. It provides the traction of a locked diff without negatively impacting steering.
That's what Honda is telling us but watching the internet lunatics rock crawl and all the negative put downs the i4wd gets (rightly or wrongly), I'm excited to see what the Blown Budget guys can do when they get theirs back together. I'll add that I'm 100% happy with mine.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!