Share your Talon Skid Plates

K9Paco

K9Paco

Lifetime Member
Apr 22, 2018
Lake Charles, La
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I got the full skid from Trail Armor. I liked them on my Pioneer so I went back to them. 228ffda22c3784e5dba8687c6dba8d23
2ce9dab930e2157d95e21d27fbd38cff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Trail Armor if you don't plan to run any sort of Nerf bars. They provide a bit of built in rocker protection.
If you are planning to run nerf bars, most of the others are fine will work, I personally like Factory UTV and have installed on 2 talons and a pioneer.

Hometeam

Hometeam

Lifetime Member
Nov 26, 2015
Normal, IL
I went with Factory UTV on my Talon and YXZ. One of the things I like about the Factory UTV skid is how far it covers up front. Most stop before the bumper skid and the Factory UTV one covers it all the way.
20210925 14242220210925 14243520210925 142445

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I got the full Ricochet kit, they were the only one I found at the time that didn't require extra holes drilled into the frame.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I got the full Ricochet kit, they were the only one I found at the time that didn't require extra holes drilled into the frame.
How are the clamps holding up?
I was intrigued with the fact when your bouncing on a rock they could give a little and still hold there shape.

D

Dfoy08

Apr 2, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I don't have any pictures of my skid plates at the moment but I recommend using Axiom Skid plates. They are 5/32" thick aluminum and they can take a beating. Axiom does not require you to use self tapping screws to attach their skid plates. They use the existing bolt holes, which was a big selling point for me.

Here is a link: Skid Plate Archives • Axiom Side by Side

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
How are the clamps holding up?
I was intrigued with the fact when your bouncing on a rock they could give a little and still hold there shape.
I haven't broken any yet and I've beat the sh^t out of them, I've had the plates off a few times to clean, no problems

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Trail Armor and happy with it. I like the wraparound rocker protection like mentioned above.

This is TA's photo, @Lil_Steve has a much better photo. :p
View attachment 299129

I tried to recreate Trail Armor's photo, I think the angle is a little off. ;)

I 2QmPJNp XL

The TA 1/2" skid plate has been great for me. For my use I prefer the poly skid plate vs aluminum, it helps slide over rocks and absorbs hits better than aluminum. No matter my preference, if you want much better protection it's important to upgrade the stock wind deflector, I cant call it a skid plate.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I don't have any pictures of my skid plates at the moment but I recommend using Axiom Skid plates. They are 5/32" thick aluminum and they can take a beating. Axiom does not require you to use self tapping screws to attach their skid plates. They use the existing bolt holes, which was a big selling point for me.

Here is a link: Skid Plate Archives • Axiom Side by Side
Those are nice. I have aluminum on my P1K5 since 16’ and have been down widow maker quite a few times and have held up great.

As for using the same bolt holes, the SATV plate does just that

Reactions: Dfoy08
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
upgrade the stock wind deflector, I cant call it a skid plate.
Its called a G string not a wind deflector lol
Just fucin with you ;)

Reactions: Lil_Steve
PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I was looking for a Skid Plate for the Talon and was wanting pictures, suggestions, or opinions.

Trail Armor, Ricochet, and Super Atv where on my short list.
I have the Factory UTV skids with wrap around side skids. I went with them because it wraps up the front more than the rest and protects the front diff and winch. Before I got the skids, I bent the belly pan metal on my original bumper and it made contact with my winch so I really needed to protect that area too. They do use the stock bolt locations and only add a few for the extra front coverage. My only complaint is you really need to remove the rear plate to change the oil or it makes a huge mess. The drain holes are small but I want to leave them that way for the added protection.

If you have an R, Trailing Arm Guards are a MUST if you do any kind of rock crawling. The R's lower arms hang very low and will hit the bigger obstacles. I opted for the Trail Armor trailing arm guards, I liked their sleek design the best. After 5 days in Moab, the trailing arm guards are beat to $hit but should last a few more trips.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Thanks guys for all the pictures!
Another question pro's and con's of extra holes in the bottom vs just the essential ones needed to change oil, They might clean easier, but how many times do they snag sticks and rocks and load up extra sand and dirt?
Or am I just over thinking everything?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
Here is a picture of the SSS skid plate it has four less holes along the rock sliders and less in the middle compared to the Trail Armor skid's and was trying to get a general consensus if that is good thing or not?
Screenshot 20211013 084620

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If there aren't any holes, dirt can't escape, it will be in there forever. The holes let it shake out or run out when hosed off. Can things get snagged, yeah, maybe but those chances are slim enough for me to ignore - says another 'over thinker'. :eek:

And ... it's a pound lighter. :p

Reactions: GPR1500SC
GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
If there aren't any holes, dirt can't escape, it will be in there forever. The holes let it shake out or run out when hosed off. Can things get snagged, yeah, maybe but those chances are slim enough for me to ignore - says another 'over thinker'. :eek:

And ... it's a pound lighter. :p
Lighter is better I like your thinking.😉

• Haha
Reactions: CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!