P500 Shift On The Fly

Rustneversleeps

Rustneversleeps

Oct 30, 2018
Talon,New Brunswick,Canada
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure if it's been ask but the manual says we have to stop in order to shift in 4WD ...
I think i did this once since the bike is new and after reading the manual it says
Is it ok to do this while driving or do i really have to stop before attempting a mud hole and then shift in 4WD or vise versa into 2WD ...
The old 2013 420 DCT i always shift on the fly..

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In my personal machine.... I do exactly as written in the manual....

Ok, now that the lawyers stopped reading. I shift on the fly as well. But only under certain circumstances.
I have to be traveling in a straight line.
I have to be coasting. never under power.

Only time I come to a complete stop is when I change from high to low on mine.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
In my personal machine.... I do exactly as written in the manual....

Ok, now that the lawyers stopped reading. I shift on the fly as well. But only under certain circumstances.
I have to be traveling in a straight line.
I have to be coasting. never under power.

Only time I come to a complete stop is when I change from high to low on mine.
Same here, slow speed, no throttle, straight.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Personally, I do it like described above and just use common sense when do it... That is, I would not switch when the unit is in a bind, turning or calling on it, etc., but rather when under no load/torque to really speak of.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Now that my warranty is over... I echo what is mentioned above. I switch from 2-4-2 on the fly, but never when there is load on the drive train (not accelerating or braking), and usually at lower speeds.

Did you ever drive an old VW with a broken clutch cable? I drove one for quite a while with no clutch cable, and like most standards of old, you could easily and smoothly shift gears by taking load off the drive train. Do that with the 2/4 WD shifter.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
What others said: Utilize some common sense in regards to matching wheel speeds, and shifting on the fly is fine.

Reactions: Rustneversleeps

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!