BOX1

Talon Shocks on their way back from Shock Therapy

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X
Shocks for my X should be back from Shock Therapy (ST) Monday! Had ST do the full Ride Improvement treatment! ST told me the factory setup on the Talon X is the worst they’ve experienced for ride quality, and I don’t have much problem believing them. I’m hoping for a huge improvement in the slow speed rocky trail riding which is 80% of what I do!

As soon as the shocks are back on I’ll finish wiring the Warn Axon 55-S winch, install the Trail Armor skid plate and trailing arm guards and Get ready to start the riding season!

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
It should be a huge improvement. I've had a few passengers along for a ride in my R and most of them comment on how smooth it handles rocky terrain. I purchased my R slightly used and it already had the Shock Therapy RIS and springs so I never got to compare the difference between stock. As I started to add tools, spare tire and accessories, I started to bottom the rear a bit. When I started to calculate how much extra weight I've added I was surprised to learn it was in the neighborhood of 300 pounds. I contacted ST and they told me I was likely undersprung since adding all the weight. I'll be dropping off my R to them tomorrow so they can change the springs based on my current load and set the proper ride height. I'm excited to have it set up to my needs and not worry about bottoming when having a passenger along.

Reactions: IDIOT and CID
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I My Talon X was the second or third one they had done the upgrades too in house and It was a huge improvement in ride quality.
I have since added 200 + lbs to the Talon with the biggest amount to the rear. And now experience bottoming out in the rear only.
I have a appointment on the 17th with ST of this month to remedy the problem I self caused.
They have a real talent in setting up your ride to your style and needs as long as you can give them all your weights, add on's ect.

Reactions: Lil_Steve
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Note that occasional bottoming doesn't need to be eliminated. If a suspension is sprung so it never bottoms, the vehicle will ride like a dump truck. The owner of my local motorcycle race shop told me they set up their motocrossers to bottom 3-5 times a lap.

Reactions: IDIOT and Lil_Steve
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Note that occasional bottoming doesn't need to be eliminated. If a suspension is sprung so it never bottoms, the vehicle will ride like a dump truck. The owner of my local motorcycle race shop told me they set up their motocrossers to bottom 3-5 times a lap.

You're absolutely right on that. I should have clarified that I was bottoming the rear skid plate on the ground regularly when before I added the weight I wasn't.

Reactions: CID
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Holy crap, there's a big difference between bottoming the suspension and bottoming the skid plate. Our motorcycles are designed to bottom the suspension before the skid plate contacts. I could see it being a problem on our SxSs because jeep roads are generally higher between tracks - something I'd never thought about before now. Always learning ...

D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
You won;t be sorry with the ST shock work and revalving. Did the springs first helped a lot and then did the revalving and much better. My front ride height was way to height using their spring settings rear was pretty close. Helped some with the clunking on the front at shock full extension.

Reactions: CID
HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
Shocks for my X should be back from Shock Therapy (ST) Monday! Had ST do the full Ride Improvement treatment! ST told me the factory setup on the Talon X is the worst they’ve experienced for ride quality, and I don’t have much problem believing them. I’m hoping for a huge improvement in the slow speed rocky trail riding which is 80% of what I do!

As soon as the shocks are back on I’ll finish wiring the Warn Axon 55-S winch, install the Trail Armor skid plate and trailing arm guards and Get ready to start the riding season!
PLEASE LET US KNOW HOW THEY WORK . I put Bandit tension springs on mine . They improved the ride greatly and gave me a solid 2" more ground clearance .

MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I My Talon X was the second or third one they had done the upgrades too in house and It was a huge improvement in ride quality.
I have since added 200 + lbs to the Talon with the biggest amount to the rear. And now experience bottoming out in the rear only.
I have a appointment on the 17th with ST of this month to remedy the problem I self caused.
They have a real talent in setting up your ride to your style and needs as long as you can give them all your weights, add on's ect.
If you don't mind letting everyone know, what is the pricing to have them revolve and add the springs. Weller Racing is $1200.00

D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
HI, MFG.
Being of the older generation, my memory is not working up to speed this morning.
The cost was in the area of $1400 with them having the Talon in their shop and doing all the work.
I was very impressed with their attention to detail and time spent making sure everything was correct and adjusted perfectly.

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve
MFG

MFG

Mar 14, 2019
East Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
HI, MFG.
Being of the older generation, my memory is not working up to speed this morning.
The cost was in the area of $1400 with them having the Talon in their shop and doing all the work.
I was very impressed with their attention to detail and time spent making sure everything was correct and adjusted perfectly.
Thanks, Sounds like the same price more or less but the ST folks ask a bunch more questions.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I dropped my Talon off there this afternoon, just in conversation I asked if there were other options for the shocks. I was told that they also offer a modification that offers both low and high speed compression adjustment, he didn't know the price offhand but obviously offered to find out if I was interested. They will replace whatever springs are needed in order to have the correct rate and ride height for my application. It will be ready by next Friday.

Reactions: CID and Killer223
D

DAJO

Mar 31, 2019
Indiana, Arizona
Ownership

1. Talon R
The mod for the adjustments is another four hundred, I did not do it enough money already. You could have got it back the same day but they always try to get you to leave it for their convenience.

Jefferson87

Jefferson87

Dec 27, 2019
Northern California
Ownership

1. Talon x4
I found a "stage 3" kit from fox that gives the shock 3 way adjustment. High/low speed compression and rebound.

I'm not super familiar with these sxs shocks, but I think that would be an awesome upgrade. Especially for me since I plan to ride in so many different terrains and will have vastly different weights. One trip I may be solo the next trip it will be my family of 5 and all of our camping gear for a weekend.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X

I will certainly do a write up as soon as I get the shocks back on and get a chance to try them out. Might be a few weeks yet. I still need to get the 1/2”Trail Armor skid plate, rock guards, and trailing arm guards installed, and a few other goodies!
I tried to list all of the anticipated add on equip for Shock Therapy to consider, even things that may not be mounted for a bit. I still have to determine what spare tire rack and size/weight of the spare. I did contact them before they did the shocks to let them know about the Warn Axon 5500, and the Warn Bumper I decided to add that combined added about 65 lbs out front of the Talon! They are really good about wanting to know weight of everything you plan to add, even driver and passenger weights!

I think the total cost was a little over $1350 with a 10% discount they had offered, but since I live in WA, shipping added some additional cost. I’m anxious to get it back on the trail to see if I got what I’m hopping for!

F

fartsalot

Jun 11, 2019
Near the Kansas Nascar race track
Ownership

1. Talon X
Shocks are one of the area's of serious improvement with a sxs.. I went a different direction and had a set of stage 4 shocks from Elka built for my talon. So far the experience has been assume ride improvement and big $$$.

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
I found a "stage 3" kit from fox that gives the shock 3 way adjustment. High/low speed compression and rebound.

I'm not super familiar with these sxs shocks, but I think that would be an awesome upgrade. Especially for me since I plan to ride in so many different terrains and will have vastly different weights. One trip I may be solo the next trip it will be my family of 5 and all of our camping gear for a weekend.
where did you find this stage three kit? links please.

Ezgoin

Ezgoin

Sep 11, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Ownership

1. Talon X

Got the shocks back from Shock Therapy and installed last night. Haven’t had a chance to even settle the suspension yet, but I can already tell the difference is going to be huge. I had them set up the springs and valving for lower speed mountain trail riding and rock crawling since that’s where 85% of my riding is, so I fully expect I’ll give up some high speed cornering stability, but I’m willing to live with that for the sake of not getting my teeth jarred loose from every marble sized rock on the trail!
Here’s a pick of the factory rear springs vs the Shock Therapy Springs.

7A07F63D 037D 48D6 B84E A6F0F714ED95 F9B483AD 2735 4396 98F7 B79C7060D2A1

Killer223

Killer223

Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2019
it's such an amazing difference, you'll love it!!!

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!