P500 Shocks

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I was scouring through eBay looking for some takeoff shocks for 17 or 18 pioneer and these types of shocks always come up on the search. They also have ones with reservoirs and all different sizes. Says they fit the pioneer model. I know the Chinese are really good about duplication of engineering.

Any thoughts on stuff like this? I know they are probably complete junk but never hurts to ask for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: mrjeff42
B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
I was scouring through eBay looking for some takeoff shocks for 17 or 18 pioneer and these types of shocks always come up on the search. They also have ones with reservoirs and all different sizes. Says they fit the pioneer model. I know the Chinese are really good about duplication of engineering.

Any thoughts on stuff like this? I know they are probably complete junk but never hurts to ask for the price.

Sorry forgot to include picture 264994d5dac3d7d9c6c1fb990f04f9ce

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I have no experience with those shocks, but I suspect if you were to take a P500 shock into a quality automotive shop they would have an idea of options potentially for buggies, etc....

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
I bought some shocks from progressive suspension one time for a Honda Forman they were very reasonable and much better than what it came with. Might be worth a look.

Reactions: Remington
B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the front shocks for the Pioneer 500? I am away from mine for a couple weeks and was looking into different shock options and may just volunteer to be a guinea pig, but need to know the length from eyelet to eyelet.

Reactions: DG Rider
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Does anyone know the exact dimensions of the front shocks for the Pioneer 500? I am away from mine for a couple weeks and was looking into different shock options and may just volunteer to be a guinea pig, but need to know the length from eyelet to eyelet.

I believe @jak9922 looked pretty extensively for other shock options, though these might not have been out. Bet he knows the numbers...

C

Chooglin

I can get those numbers for you tonight. But if I remember correctly , the fronts are 15.750 and the rears are 15.250

Reactions: jak9922
B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Ok I measured them before I left for work
Fronts are 14.250 and rears are 13.500 2015 model year

Awesome chooglin that is exactly what I needed and mine is 2015 also. I may try some of these off brand shocks to see if they help the ride any. For the price it is worth a shot I think.

Reactions: Chooglin
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Mines a ‘15 too, I upgraded (shocks) with the recall here in Canada under warranty, tried a variety of spacers to get me back to (original) stock and just over stock settled on a 1/2” spacer as I recall. Was still not happy with the ride looked into the air suspension as that intrigued me. Finally bit the bullet and bought Stage 3 Elkas, yes they are pricey, not everyone chooses to buy and I’m sure there are other less expensive options out there like the DIY air system. Mine is set up as a work machine so I can afford to put dough into it (and can’t afford to have it down when I need it for work, so reliability is key for me). I will say the stage 3 Elkas and radial tires have changed this machine significantly. Easily drive 1-2 gears faster, compared to stock suspension, very smooth and predictable handling. If I couldn’t justify the dough for Elkas I’d look into the DIY air ride suspension.
j

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Mines a ‘15 too, I upgraded (shocks) with the recall here in Canada under warranty, tried a variety of spacers to get me back to (original) stock and just over stock settled on a 1/2” spacer as I recall. Was still not happy with the ride looked into the air suspension as that intrigued me. Finally bit the bullet and bought Stage 3 Elkas, yes they are pricey, not everyone chooses to buy and I’m sure there are other less expensive options out there like the DIY air system. Mine is set up as a work machine so I can afford to put dough into it (and can’t afford to have it down when I need it for work, so reliability is key for me). I will say the stage 3 Elkas and radial tires have changed this machine significantly. Easily drive 1-2 gears faster, compared to stock suspension, very smooth and predictable handling. If I couldn’t justify the dough for Elkas I’d look into the DIY air ride suspension.
j

Unfortunately I just don’t have that kind of money at the moment. I may try some of the Chinese shocks for kicks though.

Reactions: Yota87
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Unfortunately I just don’t have that kind of money at the moment. I may try some of the Chinese shocks for kicks though.

Totally get it..... I recommend changing out the fronts first that will provide best bag for buck. I also run like 5psi in front and 6-7 psi in the rear tires for what I carry (usually just me), Chainsaw and a few hand tools plus a fire fighting can full of water (in fire season) and have removed the rear swaybar. Let us know if you find aftermarket offshore shocks that work.
j

Reactions: Yota87 and Mudder
Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500

Did you give up on trying them Chinese shock? I’d like to know if they would work

B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
Did you give up on trying them Chinese shock? I’d like to know if they would work

No I never did. I didn’t get the good feeling they would hold up and might leave me stranded.

Reactions: Yota87 and Chooglin
B

bobbybog

Mar 2, 2018
WV
Ownership

1. 500
On this same note has anyone out there put on the stage 1 elkas? They are a lot cheaper. I know they are not as adjustable as the stage 3, but I don’t honestly see me changing anything if they are valves for my ride.

So if anyone has input about stage 1 let me know

Reactions: Yota87
Yota87

Yota87

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2017
Ga
Ownership

1. 500
No I never did. I didn’t get the good feeling they would hold up and might leave me stranded.

Yeah I don’t blame ya. I’d like to give them a try but I just don’t think that would be strong enough on the spring rate

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
On this same note has anyone out there put on the stage 1 elkas? They are a lot cheaper. I know they are not as adjustable as the stage 3, but I don’t honestly see me changing anything if they are valves for my ride.

So if anyone has input about stage 1 let me know

Just as an update, not sure what the difference is between Elka Stage 1 to 3, when I ordered mine as I recall I told them how much weight I’d typically have on mine. To date I’ve not messed with the shock settings at all, probably should as I’ve bottomed out a couple times in guessing 800 kms, mind you that was zipping along and bottomed on unexpected ditches. Would be interesting to feel the difference between the stages. Mine is like a controlled pillowy ride and with radials huge fun at any speed. Combo of shocks and radials dramatically changed ride handling for the better.... it’s pricey, but if committed to keeping machine, I’d do radials first, the front shocks then rears.
Cheers,
j

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!