BOX1

Talon Shuttering on small hill climbs in 4wd

viceversa

viceversa

Jun 5, 2019
Flagstaff, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hi all! I recently picked up my 1000R and have noticed some pretty gnarly shuttering when doing even the slightest hill climbs when in 4wd. It seems to come mostly from the front and I'm just trying to get a better idea if this is normal?

Should I be driving it up steep hills in 2wd instead? I've been driving around mostly at the OHV Cinders park in Flagstaff and without 4wd on, you cannot really go anywhere due to how loose the volcanic gravel like material is. Other thoughts are should I be using low gear instead for these type of slight inclines? I'm not talking about doing crazy hill climbs but just casual hills on loose gravel.

What's everyone thoughts on when to use 2wd vs 4wd and high vs low gearing?

Here's a picture I took of a slight hill I was going up and started experiencing crazy shuttering. I hope this can give a better idea of the type of ground material and grade of hill. Going slow will just dig yourself into the cinders so you gotta give it some throttle. Hoping for some input on how one would approach this type of driving.

SZmA6r4.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi all! I recently picked up my 1000R and have noticed some pretty gnarly shuttering when doing even the slightest hill climbs when in 4wd. It seems to come mostly from the front and I'm just trying to get a better idea if this is normal?

Should I be driving it up steep hills in 2wd instead? I've been driving around mostly at the OHV Cinders park in Flagstaff and without 4wd on, you cannot really go anywhere due to how loose the volcanic gravel like material is. Other thoughts are should I be using low gear instead for these type of slight inclines? I'm not talking about doing crazy hill climbs but just casual hills on loose gravel.

If you can’t get enough speed to get out of 1st gear in high you should be in low range.

Reactions: Eltobgi and BWAF
D

DRKnight

Jan 31, 2019
Yuma, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon X
I think it is related to the type of material you are running in.
The cinders do not compact and create a wash board effect.
Try running in a more solid or compacted type of terrain and see if you still have the problem. Then you will no if it is related to the Talon or the terrain...Hope that helps...DRK

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3

Here's a picture I took of a slight hill I was going up and started experiencing crazy shuttering. I hope this can give a better idea of the type of ground material and grade of hill. Going slow will just dig yourself into the cinders so you gotta give it some throttle. Hoping for some input on how one would approach this type of driving.

SZmA6r4.jpg

That's interesting. What speed are you going up the hill? As stated If you have a lot of wheel speed it may be chattering in the loose rock.... this is not uncommon when wheel speed is significantly different than your actual ground speed. The tires are constantly catching then slipping.

Do you notice this on mud or dirt?

If you're staying under 20mph I'd be in low.

You can try to carry more speed into the hill to avoid digging through the loose rock so fast and causing the issue.....

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

viceversa

viceversa

Jun 5, 2019
Flagstaff, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you all for the feedback! definitely going under 20 on the steep climbs so I'll try sticking with low. Good tip about the tire pressure! I'll take some out and give it a try.

Reactions: Eltobgi
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Hard to know what is really going on with out being there.
But changing the shock damping or tire pressure may help.
I would try softer setting on the shocks if you arn't full soft already.
Also I would try lowering the tire pressure.

Another member rode at Cinders and had some issue, but I think it was no front diff lock (p500).
I had a quick look around but didn't find the thread.
Hey @WillyBill you have some insight?

From the first sentance it's obvious that I need to put Cinder Hills on my list of places to visit.

Reactions: JACKAL and BWAF
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

SZmA6r4.jpg

Another member rode at Cinders and had some issue, but I think it was no front diff lock (p500).

From the first sentance it's obvious that I need to put Cinder Hills on my list of places to visit.

Purely guessing from the looks of the volcanic cinder, being a soft and loose terrain, your description of what's going on, and stated speed. The loose terrain coupled with the slow speed may be sending mixed signals to the I-4WD system especially if in High range. I doubt there is any mechanical issue, but rather finding the sweet spot of speed and gearing with which to tackle that specific type of terrain. Being loose and getting likely tire spin up front, the I-4WD may be trying to intermittently control traction based upon what the axle speed sensors are telling it whats going on, if your throttle input isn't steady but feathering up and down that too can be a contributor. That machine is a thoroughbred designed to run, steady gas and driving a bit more decisively may remedy the situation.

PS. That place looks like an awesome area to ride. @lee let me know when you want to pitch the tin tents in AZ!

WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV

I too had the tire shudder at "The Cinders" area. Was on the stock original P500 Maxxis tires. I found that "it's the tires". I have since added a locker to the front of my P5 but I do not feel that diff lock would have made any difference in this situation. Lower air pressure helps but a different tread really fixed the problem which, by the way, the P5 also had the same problem with the stock tires in powder snow. Bighorn 2.0 at low pressures made the whole experience totally different. No hopping even in really low traction situations.

Try 8 psi all around and report back?

WB

viceversa

viceversa

Jun 5, 2019
Flagstaff, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thank you again for the suggestions everyone. I finally had a chance to get back out to the cinders yesterday. I set dampening to soft all around and lowered tire pressure from 16 to 12 and it made a world of a difference!

So much so, that I was able to get better traction and retain speed enough to stay in high. So yeah, doesn't seem to be a problem with the the talon itself but just needs a little tweaking depending on where you are riding.

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!