P1000m5 shutting off while driving.

R

rossjames155

Dec 16, 2016
North Jefferson state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 p1k-5 with 4500 miles just started randomly shutting off while driving. Seems to me it only does it going up hill under hard load. It’ll just completely shut off, once it’s shut down, the oil light comes on and the check engine light flashes. Turn the key off and back on and it runs like nothing happened. And yes, it has plenty of oil. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Lady01 and BWAF
R

RickMaynard

May 22, 2017
Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My 2016 p1k-5 with 4500 miles just started randomly shutting off while driving. Seems to me it only does it going up hill under hard load. It’ll just completely shut off, once it’s shut down, the oil light comes on and the check engine light flashes. Turn the key off and back on and it runs like nothing happened. And yes, it has plenty of oil. Does anyone have a clue? Thanks in advance!

Mine did something similar, but instead of shutting off, it would slow to idle and rpm’s would surge terribly. Possible cause was during all my electronic hookups, I put the (+) battery lead back on top of the other electronic stuff on my battery and my dealer thinks the important electronic stuff wasn’t getting enough power and causing things to go hay wire.

R

rossjames155

Dec 16, 2016
North Jefferson state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Mine did something similar, but instead of shutting off, it would slow to idle and rpm’s would surge terribly. Possible cause was during all my electronic hookups, I put the (+) battery lead back on top of the other electronic stuff on my battery and my dealer thinks the important electronic stuff wasn’t getting enough power and causing things to go hay wire.

I’ll have to look in to that. Mine just flat out shuts off. Screen stays lit up

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I’ll have to look in to that. Mine just flat out shuts off. Screen stays lit up

Mine did the same. Turns out it was a bad crimp job on an injector. It's a somewhat common issue on these machines. I fixed mine myself with help from other members" suggestions. Good luck and let us know what you find!

R

rossjames155

Dec 16, 2016
North Jefferson state
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the info! What did you do to remedy the crimp on the injector? I would bet that is exactly what the issue is, because it is so intermittent!

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@rossjames155
Here is the thread @0860silverado was referencing
P1000 - PGM-FI DTC 12/13 (Fuel Injector)

Your machine is a '16, so it may be the same thing. I believe this issue was corrected by Honda in later model years. If you need any help with it, please let me know, or ask in the thread.

S

sic

Nov 25, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-3
In My 2020 1000-3 I was sliding around in the snow and gave it gas going up a big icy hill and it shut off in similar style to yours and it's only got 35 miles

Reactions: Lady01
H

Hartman376

Jun 5, 2021
Askov mn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2200 miles on mine and it just started doing the same thing. Not sure the issue

C

Cpedigo81

Jul 5, 2021
Lafayette Tn
Ownership

1. 1000-5
In My 2020 1000-3 I was sliding around in the snow and gave it gas going up a big icy hill and it shut off in similar style to yours and it's only got 35 miles
Same thing with mine. It’s a 2018. Done fine a couple of weeks then back to doing it now while driving down backroads. Have you had any luck diagnosing yours?

P1K5Dave

P1K5Dave

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 11, 2020
Petoskey, MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Same thing with mine. It’s a 2018. Done fine a couple of weeks then back to doing it now while driving down backroads. Have you had any luck diagnosing yours?
Do a forum search on injector wires as your starting point. If it's just shutting down randomly, then starts right back up, that's likely your problem.

slowdryrider

slowdryrider

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jul 14, 2013
Canada
2200 miles on mine and it just started doing the same thing. Not sure the issue
Read the below post and see if cleaning up your shift motor would be something that would help you. If the machine , Trans doesn't shift down the computer will shut the motor down to keep it from lugging >>

Last edited:
Reactions: 05Willys and Lady01
Adam490

Adam490

HFA Grand High Wizard
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Apr 7, 2019
Covington, LA
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R LV
Problem fixed. Replaced both injector harnesses and hasn’t skipped a beat. Finally seen it flash the one long and three short check engine lights after it died going down the driveway 3 times within 20 feet apart 🤦🏻‍♂️
Glad you figured it out. Thanks for letting us know what resolved the issue!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!