Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Working on a 700 for a firend.
Its shifting weird.
Checking the oil. I can't get it below this mark (red) no matter my method of checking it.

So. That leads me to ask. What side effects would oil overfilled have on a Pioneer 700?

Note. We know the 700 needs oil. We have recommended overfilling to the top mark (yellow) but I'm double that.
20181009 142315

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Just for reference. 66fc1fc57820182fc572ab841df46e6d

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Reactions: sharp
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I wonder if it would be similar to an overfilled automotive engine?
Crankshaft tends to foam the engine oil from overfilling depending on how much overfill it is.
Your oil appears to be clear and clean, so I don't believe it is at a level high enough for the crankshaft to introduce air as it chops thru the oil.
Long term I do not know what will happen to the engine. I am not familiar enough with the inner workings and oil pans of these engines. If you could, I would remove the oil to a safe level.

The oil is not discoloured, so I wouldn't recommend you look at the cooling system for leakage into crankcase giving a higher oil level.

Do you know who did the last oil change? Is the owner confident in their workmanship?
Has the owner checked their oil themselves since last service?

Last edited:
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Too much oil in an engine can cause internals to slap the surface creating air bubbles in the oil and looses some lubrication.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
The wildcard: Honda says the 700 (and most of their ATV/sxs stuff) is a "semi dry sump" engine, meaning that it is essentially a dry sump, but the "tank" happens to be built into the engine cases. So, in thoery, only radical overfilling would allow aeriation of the oil by internals.

I wonder if Honda does classes for it's techs on this subject, cause I'd love to take one since Honda seems to let the public wonder about it. @HondaTech ?

I do know that NOT following the check procedure results in varying levels on the stick with no other changes. Checking the oil in these is a bit of a pain, really.

H

HondaTech

The wildcard: Honda says the 700 (and most of their ATV/sxs stuff) is a "semi dry sump" engine, meaning that it is essentially a dry sump, but the "tank" happens to be built into the engine cases. So, in thoery, only radical overfilling would allow aeriation of the oil by internals.

I wonder if Honda does classes for it's techs on this subject, cause I'd love to take one since Honda seems to let the public wonder about it. @HondaTech ?

I do know that NOT following the check procedure results in varying levels on the stick with no other changes. Checking the oil in these is a bit of a pain, really.

Honda doesn't really specify what overfilling will cause, but like previously stated, I'm guessing foaming would the most likely result. This could lead to the oil pump struggling to pump oil properly. Every time I've ever checked oil pressure on a Honda ATV/SXS its always above the stated pressure spec at cold idle, whether with a gauge or by computer.

As far as the level goes on the dipstick, I've always filled to the top mark on the stick, never in between, on every Honda I've ever worked on or owned.

FYI Honda classes are usually about a certain subject or procedure, eg. Inverted Fork Service or Wheel Truing,

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
Both of mine would read to the top high mark cold after setting overnight. After a warmup it would read at the normal high mark.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!