P700 Sitting in the Garage.....

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Sometime my rig sits in the Garage for a few weeks at a time...especially this time of year..working too much or too much to do on the weekends and no time to ride. I keep the batteries in good shape with battery tender...Are there any other issues with it just sitting for a few weeks.
I have heard if you just start them up and let idle...it is hard on the oxygen sensors...I've heard if you do start it up and let it idle you have to let it get up to normal temp before shutting it off.
So just curious if sitting for a few weeks at time hurt anything....I know..I know ... I should be riding.

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
It's in the garage out of the weather is good...Doesn't matter for 3 weeks or 3 months.
Damp garage floors are hard on them too... Battery tender is on then your good...
Gas will go bad but it takes a long while. And some high octane will cure that...I never heard about O2 sensors going bad From Idling too long.
Only thing you have to worry about is when your going to go riding next:D

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
I know you love your rig and want the best for it. I agree with @swsebek , you’re doing all you can to take care of it. The O2 sensor takes the most abuse from heat and impurities being burned. I use ethanol free gas,91 octane. If you do start it let it warm up fully before shutting it off, no short cycling and keep the coolant maintained. That’ll help the O2 sensors life. Me I worry about the meeses eating my wires!

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Being left alone for that long can cause minor psychological issues. Although nothing can replace regular exercise there are some things you can do. Be sure to stop by and give it some attention. If you can, sit in the seat and talk to it. A radio playing can help with loneliness also. Above all else, the frequent addition of various modifications will keep your best friend in top shape and ready to ride when you are.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
If you are going to leave for an extended period of time, then I would suggest the following steps:
1) lift bed, seats, etc., as mice do not like to build nest in exposed areas vs. they like darker places
2) fuel additive and keep the tank full with quality fuel
3) battery tender

Deluxe700

Deluxe700

Lifetime Member
Jul 2, 2017
Central Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
Thanks Ya'll... @alloutdoors I didn't think about leaving the bed up and seat up to keep the wire eaters out...good idea.
@Mudwing I do use ethenol free fuel 91 octane and hit it with sta-bil...
Thanks for all the advise....most of all @Gator for the "love advise"...:rolleyes:

Reactions: Mudwing
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!