KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Winch and front bumper on order. Now I am starting to research skid plates. Been reading and pricing the SSS. Any other recommendations I should look into?

P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
If you need a Skid
Stick with the UHMW material 3/8in. thick at minium -- takes a beating better than ANY other material

Over the Years have purchased 4 sets from SSS
rzr / Pioneer 700 / & 2 sets for the Pioneer 500
Ask for Forum Discount.
Repeat Customer Discount after the 1st. purchase.
Order a few extra bolts & washers for when you loose one.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I went with a 3-piece 3/8 inch thick UHMW center skids from Universal Products (eBay) with Ricochet 2-piece aluminum rock sliders and Ricochet A-Arm cover guards (ricochetoffroad.com).

I have the same skid setup. Aluminum rock sliders and the UPI skids. Already had the Ricochets on so it was an easy choice for me. Didn't like the idea of drilling and tapping new holes with the SSS anyway.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Bought a sheet of 9.5 mm thick black UHMW, used the stock one for a template, pop riveted the deflector from stock to new. Only drilled holes for oil drain and rear dif drain. It’s a one piece with a KFI front plough mount. Very robust, used the stock washers and (don’t remember for sure) but maybe longer bolts in stainless. Has taken a beating for almost 7 years over boulders tree stumps nary a whimper. Only lost a couple bolts easy to replace. Made my own stick stoppers too from aluminum angle and 3mm thick black UHMW. Think I have images in my sig link. It does collect keerap and mud due to very few drain holes but I’d rather take skid off once in a while to clean compared to having a stick up through a predrilled hole. Lastly UHMW is easy to work with using wood working tools.
Cheers,
j

KyGal83

KyGal83

Duchess Sheldon, Daisy, KGB, Natasha, SNS
Lifetime Member
Feb 3, 2021
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks everyone for the responses. Just starting the research on this .. ( I am a huge overthinker) .. I am sure I will have many, many more questions before I make a final decision.

Last edited:
Bigtee

Bigtee

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2017
Grayson, KY
Ownership

1. 520

2. 1000-5
Where is the best place to buy/order UHMW from.
I would check for local suppliers first because shipping is outrageous on it.

9FAA2F0E 4063 430A 8DFE D462F8117F6B

Reactions: Red500 and Bmurray
hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
I was going to make my own but could not find a local supplier with a good price. It was going to cost me almost as much as the SSS off road to make my own. Hopefully someone has a source with good prices.
Same, I only woulda saved like $50 VS just buying from SSS.

Reactions: KyGal83 and Red500
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Here in Western Canada I buy it from Northern Plastics in Salmon Arm, BC.

Interesting to know in respect to SSS pricing for you folks S. or 48. In 2014 early 2015 here in Western Canada there were no real options for any add ons like roofs, skids, Stix stoppers. I remember Honda only had the machine where I bought mine. Didn’t even stock one in my home town had to drive 5-6 hours to get mine.
Cheers

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Dropped my skids for an inspection and cleaning all the sprouted grass seed, weeds, mud and keerap off. Guess I had it off last summer at some point. Wow it collected a fair amount of keerap under there. With the really dry weather we are experiencing (historic hot) thought I should clean out all the junk to limit combustibles. Probably had at least 10lbs of keerap in there. Bit of water and a scrub, clean, UMHW is nice stuff for sure. Bottom is hardly marked up and I’ve rubbed over rock, stumps frozen snow, yup it good stuff.

C

CamoP500

Aug 8, 2020
Lake Vermilion
Ownership

1. 500
My dad considered purchasing UMHW and making his own. LIke others have mentioned, very little cost savings vs just purchasing from SSS. I had the SSS UMHW skid plate. It is well worth the money. Lots of expensive stuff being protected by it.

NitroxDiver

NitroxDiver

Dec 22, 2016
Concord NC
Ownership

1. 500
I received my skids from SSS today. I looked everything over and it allows complete but I have a question about the instructions. It says not to remove the metal plate under the engine. For anyone who has installed the SSS plate did you remove the metal plate? Their YouTube video shows the plate removed.

Reactions: KyGal83 and Bigtee
P

pappyo

Dec 19, 2013
Went with SSS instructions -- OEM Center Skid is in Place -- under SSS Skid.
The level of protection is raised comparatively to 1/2in. UHMW ( With Out the full added Weight of - 1/2in. UHMW Kit ).

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
I received my skids from SSS today. I looked everything over and it allows complete but I have a question about the instructions. It says not to remove the metal plate under the engine. For anyone who has installed the SSS plate did you remove the metal plate? Their YouTube video shows the plate removed.
Left metal plate in place as per instructions.

lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
not to highjack this p500 thread but has anyone made one for the p1000 UHMW
For the P1K go here:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!