P1000 Slow and clunks a bit when going into low

S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
My 2016 P1000-3 just got back from the dealer after having the clutch update. I've got about 3000 miles on my machine which is almost 2 years old and haven't had any issues. The dealer called to say my clurch was burnt while they were doing the update and that Honda was going to cover a full clutch replacement even though I had no extended warranty. I find the shifting overall a lot smoother. I run 80% of the time in low and I'm finding it delays going into low and i have to move the shifter back and forth to get it to go. There's also a bit of a clunk when it does go in. Once in it works fine. Anyone have any suggestions?

I

infernored1000

Jan 10, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Maybe just need to adjust the linkage??

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hopefully this 2 page pdf uploads.
If it doesn't work for you. Please let me know.

@Shannon840

Attachments

• 12-28&12-29.pdf
    296 KB · Views: 168
Reactions: JTW
S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
So I talked to the dealer and asked if they'd adjusted the linkage. Thanks to neohio.They told me to drop the machine off and they would check it out. They called me the next day and told me they checked the alignment and it wasn't the problem. They said they'd been on the phone with Honda techline and they feel that the shifting into low issue had nothing to do with the clutch and clutch cover replacement. Dealer tells me Honda feels it's a sub transmission issue and that the shift lever could be bent. The dealers been great but the machine's off warranty and the dealer asked me how I wanted to proceed or in other words the meter is on.

When I took the machine in for the clutch cover update it was shifting flawlessly into low. In fact Id have to say in 2 years the unit has worked perfectly - no issues at all. I run on an old track bed and have about 4000 miles - no water no mud. I was so frustrated that I picked the machine up and brought it home. It'll go into low if it's good and warm and I move it back and forth from neutral or drive and once in it works fine. While I was in they had another 1000 torn apart with a sub transmission issue. The dealer told me today he would share what they found with this machine which kind of made me think they think my issue might be the same. Again dealers been great and is going to bat with Honda to try and get the problem covered under "good will".

Anyone have any ideas or aware of any sub transmission issues with the 2016's that could explain what I'm dealing with?

J

JTW

So I talked to the dealer and asked if they'd adjusted the linkage. Thanks to neohio.They told me to drop the machine off and they would check it out. They called me the next day and told me they checked the alignment and it wasn't the problem. They said they'd been on the phone with Honda techline and they feel that the shifting into low issue had nothing to do with the clutch and clutch cover replacement. Dealer tells me Honda feels it's a sub transmission issue and that the shift lever could be bent. The dealers been great but the machine's off warranty and the dealer asked me how I wanted to proceed or in other words the meter is on.

When I took the machine in for the clutch cover update it was shifting flawlessly into low. In fact Id have to say in 2 years the unit has worked perfectly - no issues at all. I run on an old track bed and have about 4000 miles - no water no mud. I was so frustrated that I picked the machine up and brought it home. It'll go into low if it's good and warm and I move it back and forth from neutral or drive and once in it works fine. While I was in they had another 1000 torn apart with a sub transmission issue. The dealer told me today he would share what they found with this machine which kind of made me think they think my issue might be the same. Again dealers been great and is going to bat with Honda to try and get the problem covered under "good will".

Anyone have any ideas or aware of any sub transmission issues with the 2016's that could explain what I'm dealing with?
I recently discovered my aftermarket S&S aluminum skid plate was touching the shift shaft coming out of the subtrans.. this is a huge issue as any impact is absorbed by the shaft. I’m not saying that’s your issue but if someone put a jack under it in the wrong spot... well???
If you have a stock skid plate the possibility is even greater!
CC6497BF 77D8 47EE 857C 5EE89C7171D1

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I recently discovered my aftermarket S&S aluminum skid plate was touching the shift shaft coming out of the subtrans.. this is a huge issue as any impact is absorbed by the shaft. I’m not saying that’s your issue but if someone put a jack under it in the wrong spot... well???
If you have a stock skid plate the possibility is even greater!
View attachment 70189
Dumb question here, can you turn it over/reverse it for more clearance? Never mind , I looked at the picture closer! Stick/rock could cause the same thing. ????

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013

My 2018 does the same thing . I adjusted my cable and it didnt help but It shifts ok if its warm just like yours . I took my seat off and watched the shift lever while putting it in low and when i shifted it the cable and shift lever on sub trans was slow to engage. What i mean is the shift lever on dash was all the way in low but the cable and lever below were just creeping the last little bit before it engaged. It could be a cable issue (kinked maybe ? ) or theres something inside the case wrong. If you figure it out post on here maybe it will help me also

Reactions: ZeroG
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Having not really looked at my shift cable.
Is there any way to lube it? They had cable lubers for bikes in the past, can we simply pour some kroil or lube down from the top to help clean muck out?
I think a gent just replaced his cable recently. @oldtrucks possibly? Hopefully he can chime in with a better handle on how we can address this.

advertisement
S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
My 2018 does the same thing . I adjusted my cable and it didnt help but It shifts ok if its warm just like yours . I took my seat off and watched the shift lever while putting it in low and when i shifted it the cable and shift lever on sub trans was slow to engage. What i mean is the shift lever on dash was all the way in low but the cable and lever below were just creeping the last little bit before it engaged. It could be a cable issue (kinked maybe ? ) or theres something inside the case wrong. If you figure it out post on here maybe it will help me also

Hmmm ..... I hadn't even thought to check under the seat. The same time they did the clutch they did the cabin comfort update and would have been messing around in under the seat. Dealer and Honda thinks it's completely unrelated but maybe something got kinked while they were installing the cabin comfort kit. I'll check this when i get home from work tonight. Thanks

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hmmm ..... I hadn't even thought to check under the seat. The same time they did the clutch they did the cabin comfort update and would have been messing around in under the seat. Dealer and Honda thinks it's completely unrelated but maybe something got kinked while they were installing the cabin comfort kit. I'll check this when i get home from work tonight. Thanks

Seems strange that it would happen immediately after having it in there for free service. Im guessing something got messed up along the way. check your cable and the lever underneath. Like JTW says, its not in a great spot. Could be something internal though when they were putting it all back together.

I would be pretty adamant that they figure it out. You brought it in working, it needs to leave working.

S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
Seems strange that it would happen immediately after having it in there for free service. Im guessing something got messed up along the way. check your cable and the lever underneath. Like JTW says, its not in a great spot. Could be something internal though when they were putting it all back together.

I would be pretty adamant that they figure it out. You brought it in working, it needs to leave working.

Thanks. That's exactly where my head is and although nothing's happened yet the dealer is saying all the right things. We'll see where it goes and I'll keep my progress posted up.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thanks. That's exactly where my head is and although nothing's happened yet the dealer is saying all the right things. We'll see where it goes and I'll keep my progress posted up.
Well it's been almost a month since you posted the issue. What's the hold up? Do you have your machine or do they?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
Well it's been almost a month since you posted the issue. What's the hold up? Do you have your machine or do they?

I've got the machine home. I called them soon as i backed it off my trailer in my door yard after the clutch update Sat the 3rd and told them the problem. Took a few days to get booked back in for them to look at it. Got an email Friday the 9th that basically said they looked at it, tested it and that Honda said the 2 issues were unrelated. Went to see the manager on the 12th to express my feelings and it's been back and forth since then. Latest this week as I mentioned is that they asked for my service records cause Honda's considering doing it under "good will".

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got the machine home. I called them soon as i backed it off my trailer in my door yard after the clutch update Sat the 3rd and told them the problem. Took a few days to get booked back in for them to look at it. Got an email Friday the 9th that basically said they looked at it, tested it and that Honda said the 2 issues were unrelated. Went to see the manager on the 12th to express my feelings and it's been back and forth since then. Latest this week as I mentioned is that they asked for my service records cause Honda's considering doing it under "good will".
I don't know you at all. But I feel like you're starting to get the run around. If it were me s*** would've hit the fan by now.

It needs to leave the dealership in the same or better condition than when you brought it. It obviously didn't. Sounds more like a dealer issue than Hondas issue. Time to get serious about it or I bet it doesn't get done.

Just my 2 cents. I wish you luck.

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
FWIW... The only mode that has worked properly on my '16 model is just straight turf mode in high gear range. Anything else makes angry gear gnashing sounds. Low gear just grinds and doesn't pull at all. 4WD high makes cringe-worthy gear grindeage racket from the front driveline. I've brought it in for adjustment for fear of voiding my warranty if I did it myself. They played with it for 3 weeks and said "it's ready". To no surprise, I still have the same issues. I thought about cutting out the bottom of the shifter gate because that seems to be where the limitation is. I feel like if the shift linkage had a little more stroke, it would engage into low gear. Luckily for me, my use of the the machine doesn't call for for much low range or 4WD so I'm ok with it. But I can see where it would be a problem for others. Good luck and keep us posted!

S

Shannon840

Apr 2, 2016
Nova Scotia
Mystery solved. After screwing around with the dealer I bought my rig from for 7 weeks I booked into a dealer an hour and a half away. The cause of my machine not going into low was that the sub transmission oil had been over filled. Soon as they dumped it and filled it with the right amount( 1.1 litre. ). It shifted perfectly into low. The dealer that did the clutch update denied changing the sub trans oil which is complete bulls***. They wanted to tear the sub transmission apart to find the “Bent shift lever”. To make it worse the tech at the 2nd dealership found a bolt laying on the skid plate from the clutch cover update. The other bolts were all loose. Un f———g believable.
Anyway moral of the story is if your machine isn’t shifting into low check the sub transmission oil level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

0860silverado

Lifetime Member
May 25, 2017
louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Mystery solved. After screwing around with the dealer I bought my rig from for 7 weeks I booked into a dealer an hour and a half away. The cause of my machine not going into low was that the sub transmission oil had been over filled. Soon as they dumped it and filled it with the right amount( 1.1 litre. ). It shifted perfectly into low. The dealer that did the clutch update denied changing the sub trans oil which is complete bulls***. They wanted to tear the sub transmission apart to find the “Bent shift lever”. To make it worse the tech at the 2nd dealership found a bolt laying on the skid plate from the clutch cover update. The other bolts were all loose. Un f———g believable.
Anyway moral of the story is if your machine isn’t shifting into low check the sub transmission oil level.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The incompetence of some (not all) dealership techs is truly mind boggling. Glad to see you are fixed up!