SLOWPOKE goes short course racing

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have the Po-po's and Yamaha's covered this week. :cool: I'm almost a second and a half faster than my arch nemesis, the #04 RS-1. The main is going to be lots of fun. Race should start in a couple hours....

Screenshot 20210508 111250 Samsung Internet

Screenshot 20210508 111310 Samsung Internet

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Finished 2nd. Not what I was hoping for today... 😡

I had the fastest car in my class all day by a long shot and got blocked for 2.5 laps by a guy 8 seconds a lap slower that finishes in the back every week, that got lucky on the start for the first time ever. While I was trying to get around him the 04 RS-1 drove away. Once I got away from the idiot I gained on the 04 a ton and almost caught him. Unfortunately I ran out of laps and finished 2nd by a couple seconds. That's racing for you........

Last edited:
ehart814

ehart814

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Mar 28, 2016
NWPA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Awesome thread. Great to see you being rewarded with success after all your hard work. I love watching this kind of thing but definitely nothing that I could do! My slowpoke pioneer gets used to much to make it a racecar!

K

KenThompson

Aug 25, 2019
Mulino
Ownership

1. Talon X
Figured I'd start a thread about my racing adventures this year in case anyone is intrested...

This is the car I built over the last year. It's a 2019 R model that I cut up with 60 miles on the odometer......
View attachment 261154
View attachment 261155
View attachment 261156
That’s cool looking. Reminds me of back when I use to race quads. Flat track, MX, and Pikes Peak hill climb. It was so much fun back in the day! Do you run a front sway bar? It looks like you took the shocks out?

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
That’s cool looking. Reminds me of back when I use to race quads. Flat track, MX, and Pikes Peak hill climb. It was so much fun back in the day! Do you run a front sway bar? It looks like you took the shocks out?

No front sway bar. The suspension is all stock R model with the exception of upgraded stock shocks from Double E Racing and an Eibach rear adjustable sway bar.

Shocks were at Double E Racing when I took the pictures you quoted in this thread.

I used to race paved circle track cars and karts in my younger years and also did some MX and pitbike racing. I was going to build an IMCA modified dirt track car to get back into Racing before I bought the Talon but then I found Texplex and decided turning left, right and jumping sounded and looked way cooler than just driving around in circles. 😎

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Still 3 weeks away from the next race but I've been messing with the car a little bit......

In an effort to reduce rotating mass and unsprung weight I decided to order a set of ultralight beadlock wheels. The gold beadlocks on the car now weigh 18.5lbs each and are pretty light for a cast aluminum 15x8 beadlock. The wheels I ordered yesterday are 3 piece 15x8 beadlocks with billet centers and spun aluminum shells. Fully assembled these wheels weigh a true 13.5lbs each. losing 20lbs of rotating mass is going to be big, especially on the landrush starts. 😎

Images 1

And If your going to spend stupid money chasing a $5 dollar trophy you may as well go full retard and order a set of titanium lug nuts. 🤣

17MM Head 02bdeaa4 caa8 484c 853e f1f91df28f7c 1080x

Wheels are 2 weeks out and the lug nuts should be here by the end of week. While I'm waiting for the wheels maybe I'll do something crazy like enlarge the holes in the rotors slightly to remove another pound of weight. 4oz a rotor should be a piece of cake. Maybe I'll get lucky and get 1.5 or 2 pounds out of them. 😁

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!