P700 Smelling burnt oil?

J

JeremyF

Jun 19, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
Anybody want to guess what the quote for a new top end is?

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
$1000, nice round number

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I must admit, I’m still struggling to understand how this happened with a unit with, guessing here with around 100 hours. That is, change the oil first time at 20 ish hours so the oil change only had roughly 80-100 hours (guessing on hours but should be in that ballpark with 1200 miles). Point is, I think with Honda any oil within reasonable limits will survive a 100 hours so I will be curious what the dealer says actually failed...

swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I bet it was the cam. The water story, and quick starts and stops claim are BS. They just don't want another recall. They know there is a problem with some units. Sorry this happened to you Jeremy, it affects all us 700 owners. It makes me worry for what may be no reason, but every story I hear gets me thinking it could happen to me.

Reactions: Mudwing
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I must admit, I’m still struggling to understand how this happened with a unit with, guessing here with around 100 hours. That is, change the oil first time at 20 ish hours so the oil change only had roughly 80-100 hours (guessing on hours but should be in that ballpark with 1200 miles). Point is, I think with Honda any oil within reasonable limits will survive a 100 hours so I will be curious what the dealer says actually failed...
I'm not convinced the oil wasn't low in the 1st post.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
I keep thinking of my youth days on ATC, Honda XL, XR, etc., and don't recall every "really" maintaining the bike and like today, Honda's appear bullet proof. Obviously, there are variations in the engines, etc., and hopeful, Jeremy has a great dealer which can truly explain what happened and how it can be prevented going forward, because you wouldn't want to spend $XXXX dollars every "oil change"....

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
J

JeremyF

Jun 19, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
Guys the only thing that makes any sense to me is that I ran it too much not warmed up. Several times I jumped on late at night to run a mile down the rd where I train my dogs. It did fine going through the yard to the black top but I'd get rolling and it wouldn't shift just rev real high. I'd have to stop and let it idle a while and keep going. It was always aggravating and I wasn't patient. Did this a bunch of times last winter and this winter. Must have burnt up the rings when it revved real high. I for sure have never sunk it so don't see how water could have done anything.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Guys the only thing that makes any sense to me is that I ran it too much not warmed up. Several times I jumped on late at night to run a mile down the rd where I train my dogs. It did fine going through the yard to the black top but I'd get rolling and it wouldn't shift just rev real high. I'd have to stop and let it idle a while and keep going. It was always aggravating and I wasn't patient. Did this a bunch of times last winter and this winter. Must have burnt up the rings when it revved real high. I for sure have never sunk it so don't see how water could have done anything.
Well...reving a cold engine is certainly hard on it.
The only thing is it seems from your posts that this started suddenly. Guess it could have slightly cold seized or broken a ring.

This tranny has some quirks, and the cold thing is one if them. All you can do is run synthetic and shorten the time you gotta wait and be patient. I guess you could maybe rig up some sort of block heater to help?

J

JeremyF

Jun 19, 2017
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well I have another update...bad as it gets. Dealer is saying I need a total re-build on the motor, saying it had water in it. Guys I have never had this buggy in water deeper than a few inches in the floorboard. Didn't even know where the air intake was until I saw the buggy tore apart at the dealer today. Its higher than the seat! I've 100% never been that deep and owned it since brand new. Anybody have an explanation for what I've done here? At a loss, quote is $4,500 to re-build I need another option. I've searched the internet found one rebuilt motor for $3k might be the route I take. Anybody know of a totaled buggy with a good motor?

Mudwing

Mudwing

Lifetime Member
Jul 9, 2017
The Mud holes
Ownership

1. 700-4
Well I have another update...bad as it gets. Dealer is saying I need a total re-build on the motor, saying it had water in it. Guys I have never had this buggy in water deeper than a few inches in the floorboard. Didn't even know where the air intake was until I saw the buggy tore apart at the dealer today. Its higher than the seat! I've 100% never been that deep and owned it since brand new. Anybody have an explanation for what I've done here? At a loss, quote is $4,500 to re-build I need another option. I've searched the internet found one rebuilt motor for $3k might be the route I take. Anybody know of a totaled buggy with a good motor?
Sorry to hear. Is the rebuild something you can handle? It’s pretty much just nuts and bolts. I’m sure the forum will help with questions.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Insurance an option?

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Look in back of a dirt wheels mag. Lots of ads from places that part them out . Engine builders also. Could you buy a new engine . I've never priced o e.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
I'm on a rant tonight, might was well chime in here too... First of all, not warming it up and hitting the rev limiter, when it was only 50 degrees out, will not harm any engine. Second, when an engine burns oil, it's either the rings worn or broken, or the valve seals worn out. You can find out which by watching behind you, and accelerating hard, if lots of blue smoke behind you, the rings are bad. Then get it going fast and take your foot off the gas, if there is lots of blue smoke when decelerating, the valve seals are bad. If the bottom end is gone, you should be able to hear rattling or knocking, especially when accelerating, or even idling.

It is possible that dust getting past the air filter will damage the rings and valve seals, and water ingestion can damage the bottom end (rod and crank bearings), and punch a hole in a piston. Dust and water are our greatest enemies, not running it when cold.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I ended up trading the 700 in to a dealership out of state for a 1000-5 LE. So glad to be out of that nightmare.
Did you have the other fixed?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!