P1000 Smells like burning ATF

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 P1000-5 with about 1500 miles on it. I bought it new and have had zero problems with it. Several months ago I took my machine into the dealer for the clutch update. Unlike some, I have had no issues with my clutch at all, but the way I understood the update, it would only be beneficial.

Getting to the reason for my post, I can smell what seems to be burning ATF when I run long enough to get hot. I can't seem to pinpoint the location and I have no dripping or spots where I park it and it runs perfectly with change from cold to hot. The smell bothers me since my machine is like perfect and should smell like new. I have done some searching on the site but don't see anyone else with a similar issue. Any Ideas would be appreciated.

Reactions: Lady01
Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have a 2016 P1000-5 with about 1500 miles on it. I bought it new and have had zero problems with it. Several months ago I took my machine into the dealer for the clutch update. Unlike some, I have had no issues with my clutch at all, but the way I understood the update, it would only be beneficial.

Getting to the reason for my post, I can smell what seems to be burning ATF when I run long enough to get hot. I can't seem to pinpoint the location and I have no dripping or spots where I park it and it runs perfectly with change from cold to hot. The smell bothers me since my machine is like perfect and should smell like new. I have done some searching on the site but don't see anyone else with a similar issue. Any Ideas would be appreciated.
Could there be a ripped CV boot? I was flying and all a sudden smoke was pouring out the back. Tuned out a pin hole in a c.v. boot getting on the exhaust. Just a theory.

Rambo

Rambo

Supporting Member
Dec 29, 2016
Southern Indiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Think it could be diff fluid, it has a strong distinct smell. Check the output shafts coming from your diffs.

Reactions: Lady01 and sharp
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Your machine should not smell like atf period! There is none in your machine, strictly engine oil in all the systems.
Lol
Possibly what @Plumber32 mentioned, maybe oil smell from a little spillage when they filled it? Have you tried cardboard under the machine while running and warm? Maybe a seal is leaking just a bit? Look for any wetness around all the shafts

N

Ned

May 12, 2015
West Kentucky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks All, I know there is no ATF but that's the closest thing to the smell I can think of. I can understand the comment because I said it became apparent after the clutch service but it doesn't smell like burning oil to me. I also thought maybe they spilled something, but I would figure it would have dissipated by now. I catch just enough of a wiff to bother me but not enough to find it. If a breeze is blowing I can't seem to pick it up except intermittently. I really dislike it. I will go over the suggested area's again. Thanks again.

rubyred16

rubyred16

Aug 24, 2018
troy mo
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I just had the same problem with mine after the update. It was burning oil and grease from the update I looked the machine over and around the clutch cover you could see paw prints and oil residue. After one weekend at the farm smell was gone.

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
Chances are when they dumped the oil to complete the update some splashed up from hitting the belly guard upward on to the bottom of the engine and will need time to burn off, a guess on my part. I would run it, check the oil routinely and see if it quits after a while...

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand

Antifreeze can have a similar smell. Might want to double check all the clamps. I know all of mine were not very tight from the factory. There's 2 lines at the oil cooler to the upper left of the clutch and a couple under the seat.

C

charlie1

Sep 23, 2018
tennesse
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I have been having a smell also. Mine seems like it is rubber burning. I have only have 500 miles and also have had the clutch update done on 2017 p1000-5. I did not notice it right after the clutch update. It was later when I added a windshield. Have had friends that ride with me ask about it so I know it is not just me. Hope someone smarter than me can help?

Last edited:
Reactions: Lady01 and DrMike
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Mine started this last summer, culprit is a bad o ring on the starter.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!