100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All this time spent on the farm is giving me ideas for things I had put on the back burner. I was looking at my stack of fire bricks earlier for the wood fired bread oven project and it got me thinking about something A little more simpler. I have always wanted to build a nice smoker for smoking fish, game domestic meats and salts. Have any of you guys built something similar beyond something you bought at a big box store? I'd be interested in seeing some other people's ideas and recipes even if you're using a commercial smoker. We can't all be rustic after all. I have a couple of old wood stoves for something like this in the video but I figured you guys might some ideas as well. Thanks.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Ive seen a few of these made / in action.

For me I already have more grills than time, but could see a ugly drum cooker as my next project.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
My grandparents used old refrigerators to smoke there meat in put fire box next to it put the smoke in the bottom with stove pipe vent at top but refrigerators where made a little different back then

Choogsbro

Choogsbro

CEO of Monkey Business
Lifetime Member
Mar 20, 2018
Monticello, Ky
Ownership

1. Other Brand
What a coincidence. I'm smoking some hind quarters tomorrow along with something else. Not sure what else. So me and the old lady are talking about what else to smoke. I get on the forum and this thread is at the top. That's crazy.

BWAF

BWAF

I get paid to pass gas
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2018
Carthage MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5
What a coincidence. I'm smoking some hind quarters tomorrow along with something else. Not sure what else. So me and the old lady are talking about what else to smoke. I get on the forum and this thread is at the top. That's crazy.
I WANT TO DO THIS

nitzo

nitzo

Lifetime Member
Aug 16, 2019
East Coast, Florida
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I used this SmokinTex for a long time and loved it:

Tex

Now I'm using this GMG and have to say I really like cooking with it:

Gmg

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
All this time spent on the farm is giving me ideas for things I had put on the back burner. I was looking at my stack of fire bricks earlier for the wood fired bread oven project and it got me thinking about something A little more simpler. I have always wanted to build a nice smoker for smoking fish, game domestic meats and salts. Have any of you guys built something similar beyond something you bought at a big box store? I'd be interested in seeing some other people's ideas and recipes even if you're using a commercial smoker. We can't all be rustic after all. I have a couple of old wood stoves for something like this in the video but I figured you guys might some ideas as well. Thanks.
Nice video, The fish looks scrumptious!

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Doesn't smoking also kill the bacteria and or give food a longer shelf life?

Speaking from my experience in Dairy...

Its the time / temperature curve that kills the bacteria for the most part. Most bacteria have a time / temperature curve that needs to be covered to properly kill. Smoking is low and slow. Your meats still need to get to the proper temp.

Secondly bacteria need moisture to survive. Drying...much like what Native Americans did , extend the shelf life of meats.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While not from a home made smoker, here is some beginning inspiration from my ceramic Vision grill. You could use your fire bricks to make a similar setup with flat sheet or a smaller round steel barrel.

Just put the quarantine baby backs on.

C3E7FED6 22AA 41CD BE5A 3DF5F487C929

Last edited:
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!