BOX1

Snorkel trouble

Hoffdoghoff

Hoffdoghoff

Sep 9, 2020
okalahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X
Installed a snorkel on my 1000x and today when I took off the air filter I saw water in there. I've taken it out with the snorkel a few times with no issues but this past weekend we got stuck in some deep water. Snorkel never went under so im not sure how the water got in? Any recommendations on where to start troubleshooting?

Reactions: TxDoc
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'd double check the fitment of the snorkel connections to make sure everything is tight. Also check the air box drains to make sure the caps are in place. It's also not a bad idea to pull the dirty side drain cap after going through deep water to see if water got in.

Dirty side (before the air filter) drain on the passenger side rear.

IMG 20200314 222255488 XL

Clean side (after air filter) drain on drivers side rear. Hopefully you never have water in there.

IMG 20200314 223651186 XL

Hoffdoghoff

Hoffdoghoff

Sep 9, 2020
okalahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'd double check the fitment of the snorkel connections to make sure everything is tight. Also check the air box drains to make sure the caps are in place. It's also not a bad idea to pull the dirty side drain cap after going through deep water to see if water got in.

Dirty side (before the air filter) drain on the passenger side rear.

View attachment 223542

Clean side (after air filter) drain on drivers side rear. Hopefully you never have water in there.

View attachment 223543
Pulled the clean side and water did come out. I checked the oil and it doesn't seem milky. Im going to change it anyways. I haven't noticed any issues with it running different since it got wet. I'm hoping its just the seal around the air filted that is letting water in and not my snorkel.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Pulled the clean side and water did come out. I checked the oil and it doesn't seem milky. Im going to change it anyways. I haven't noticed any issues with it running different since it got wet. I'm hoping its just the seal around the air filted that is letting water in and not my snorkel.
Dang, water on the clean side. How deep and how fast were you hitting that water? 🤔 My snorkel is behind the passenger seat and I've hit 12" deep water pretty quickly and ridden in several hours of drizzle with no ill effects.

@Lil_Steve did you bring the Talon home (relevant photos)?

Post #12 here shows a couple of dislocated airbox gaskets.

Hoffdoghoff

Hoffdoghoff

Sep 9, 2020
okalahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X
Dang, water on the clean side. How deep and how fast were you hitting that water? 🤔 My snorkel is behind the passenger seat and I've hit 12" deep water pretty quickly and ridden in several hours of drizzle with no ill effects.

@Lil_Steve did you bring the Talon home (relevant photos)?

Post #12 here shows a couple of dislocated airbox gaskets.
Gaskets look good. We weren't going fast. The sand sucked us down
Screenshot 20200909 210118 Gallery

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
Damn, you were lucky to get that out. :oops: I got my motorcycle stuck in soft sand in a creek and it took two of us hours to get it out; and it only weighed 250 pounds.

Hoffdoghoff

Hoffdoghoff

Sep 9, 2020
okalahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X
If there is water in the engine how would I know? What should I be looking/listening for. We rode for a while after. Took the spark plugs out and dried them and it started up after

Reactions: Vikes79
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you got enough water in the engine to matter, you oil will be milky like creamed coffee. You're deep enough that I'd change it anyway - cheap insurance. You could pull the oil filter, a cup or two will come out and you can see if it looks good.

Reactions: Vikes79 and TxDoc
CMB

CMB

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
That has to have water in the motor, among other places.

Reactions: Vikes79
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If there is water in the engine how would I know? What should I be looking/listening for. We rode for a while after. Took the spark plugs out and dried them and it started up after
You shouldn't have started it after sinking it that deep, you should have towed it back to the trailer if at all possible - even if that meant leaving it and coming back with a tow vehicle.
What about the dirt in the throttle body? How do I properly clean that out

View attachment 223661
:oops: :oops: :oops:

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: JimmyA and Vikes79
Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
What about the dirt in the throttle body? How do I properly clean that out

View attachment 223661

Tenor

You shouldn't have started it after sinking it that deep, you should have towed it back to the trailer if at all possible - even if that meant leaving it and coming back with a tow vehicle.
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Yeah, that would have been the best thing to do for sure. Unfortunately the only thing that can be done now is deal with the here and now, hopefully it's not too bad.

You'll likely get many different opinions/advice on the matter, if it were me I'd try and track down exactly where the water came in since you mentioned that the snorkel didn't get submerged. Grab/twist all hose connections checking for tightness. It's possible that even while the snorkel wasn't underwater, the entire air box was for an extended amount of time.

Water was most definitely ingested into your engine, along with some sediment. I'd remove the entire air box and intake assembly to clean it off the vehicle, at this point you want to prevent anything else getting ingested into the engine. Stuff clean rags in the openings while the air box is off.

The throttle body will also likely need to be removed for cleaning.

After getting everything as clean as possible I'd plan on doing a few oil and filter changes (don't forget the DCT filter) to try and get as much water/sediment out of the system.

Say a Hail Mary, cross your fingers and hope there's no cylinder wall scoring. Then go ride! But make sure that all the snorkel connections are up to the job. If your snorkel isn't filtered, I'd consider modifying it so that it is. You can easily extend the snorkel up to the roof and put a pre-filter on it. @CID links?

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
<snipity>

Say a Hail Mary, cross your fingers and hope there's no cylinder wall scoring. Then go ride! But make sure that all the snorkel connections are up to the job. If your snorkel isn't filtered, I'd consider modifying it so that it is. You can easily extend the snorkel up to the roof and put a pre-filter on it. @CID links?
I don't have any links for running the snorkel up to the roof, those are in HondaBob's 2500, 6000, 9000 and 10000 mile reports in the General Talon 1000 Discussion forum. My snorkel pics (copied directly from Bob's info) are in the link in my sig line including part numbers needed (but mine is behind the passenger's seat, not up under the roof).

Found a link with several of Bob's pics - pages 1, 2 and 3 -

Reactions: Lil_Steve
SpeedBuggy

SpeedBuggy

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 1, 2020
WA
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
Honda’s have always run with dirt in the engines. That’s why people love them so much.

I see you were not wearing a mask. That’s how the water got in. 🤣 but seriously check the seal on your air filter too, even wet the filter shouldn’t let sediment through. Clean side should have still been clean even when wet if it came through your snorkel

From now forward I will refer to the filter that separates the clean side from the dirty side as the Taint...

spentcoins

spentcoins

Apr 19, 2019
Alabama
Ownership

1. Talon R
How much water did you have to drain from the dirty side of the airbox? Maybe it got in there from rain or when you washed it? I have had water get in mine after a rain or wash job on occasion. If it only came out of the dirty side you should be good.
edit, nvmd I see where water did come out of the clean side drain. Like others have suggested, drain and flush engine until you get clean looking oil. Check for dirt/sand in intake runners. Also like said check the diffs. and sub tranny.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check your gas tank, this is from my buddy’s 1000-5 this last weekend.

3C3262B4 705A 46CF 9739 6CA4D3F67FD1
2265C931 D0B5 4FD7 8920 C5EEEE1A3047

Reactions: TripleB
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!