P500 Snow chains recommendations 2018 stock tires

T

TimS

Nov 30, 2018
Ottawa
Ownership

1. 500
Hi Folks

I'm in Canada and the snow is falling!! I'm looking for recommendations for snow chains for my 2018 pioneer 500 stock tires front and rear (I have a plow). Stock tires are front: 24 X 8-12 rear 24 X 10-12.

I did scan through the forum but couldn't find a specific answer to this question.

Thanks in advance!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Last edited:
Reactions: TimS
Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Call Royal Distributing in Guelph Ont. 1-800-265-2970
They are probably one of the biggest off-road distributors in Canada. Definitely the GTA.

Reactions: TimS
Y

Yukon_Jon

Nov 17, 2018
Yukon Territory
Ownership

1. 500
Gonna see what I can find for chains at good old Canadian Tire next week hopefully. Cabela's isn't exactly a nearby option for me. The one in Whitehorse does have a decent selection of ATV/UTV stuff, mostly kolpin accessories and whatnot. If I can keep the stockers and get some good wear on them before replacing, I will. The 500 juuuuuuuuust clears when I load it in the back of my camper trailer now, any taller and it won't fit. As it is I have to sit in the middle to keep it from tipping up on the right side as I drive it in. That said, I use it for plowing, and have some nearby trail rides planned, so a set of chains would be a nice option to have on board.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Gonna see what I can find for chains at good old Canadian Tire next week hopefully. Cabela's isn't exactly a nearby option for me. The one in Whitehorse does have a decent selection of ATV/UTV stuff, mostly kolpin accessories and whatnot. If I can keep the stockers and get some good wear on them before replacing, I will. The 500 juuuuuuuuust clears when I load it in the back of my camper trailer now, any taller and it won't fit. As it is I have to sit in the middle to keep it from tipping up on the right side as I drive it in. That said, I use it for plowing, and have some nearby trail rides planned, so a set of chains would be a nice option to have on board.
I’ve had to let air out of the tires to get into the trailer and then air them back up once out. @ 10 PSI you can let half the air out, gain an inch and still drive on them without hurting anything. Good luck finding chains. Btw, Cabelas will ship...

Reactions: Yukon_Jon
Y

Yukon_Jon

Nov 17, 2018
Yukon Territory
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve had to let air out of the tires to get into the trailer and then air them back up once out. @ 10 PSI you can let half the air out, gain an inch and still drive on them without hurting anything. Good luck finding chains. Btw, Cabelas will ship...

Hadn't really thought about that. For as often as I will be trailering, airing up and down is a good option. Thanks for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, I know all about Cabelas' shipping, I used to live in a fly-in community... leaves one with a lot of time for online shopping, for good or ill, sometimes.

Chains related question, is everyone running chains on all four wheels for plowing or occasional un-stuckery, or just the rears. I'm assuming they are sold in pairs for a reason.

Reactions: Montecresto

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!