P500 Snow/Ice: How to you protect your windshield?

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
Hey guys,

For those that store your Pioneer outside and use it for plowing, how do you protect the poly windshield from snow / ice buildup when sitting outside? I was debating between just a simple snow cover for the window (afraid the wind will scratch it up) all the way to a garage in a box (had one before but it’s a pita when you get heavy snows). Can you use liquid de-icer on the windshield or will that ruin the hard coating? Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Maybe build a simple lean to, just to keep the heavy stuff off? Cheap, easy build.

Trailer

Reactions: Eltobgi
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
Hey guys,

For those that store your Pioneer outside and use it for plowing, how do you protect the poly windshield from snow / ice buildup when sitting outside? I was debating between just a simple snow cover for the window (afraid the wind will scratch it up) all the way to a garage in a box (had one before but it’s a pita when you get heavy snows). Can you use liquid de-icer on the windshield or will that ruin the hard coating? Thx

You can protect the plastic window if your water proof cover has a felt or soft flannel lining. Another idea is after putting the cover on, put a small ceramic heater inside and run it on low power. Not only keeps it warm inside but keeps snow and ice off the window.

U

uconn411

Mar 24, 2016
CT
You can protect the plastic window if your water proof cover has a felt or soft flannel lining. Another idea is after putting the cover on, put a small ceramic heater inside and run it on low power. Not only keeps it warm inside but keeps snow and ice off the window.

Yep, that’s what I ended up doing. I bought a medium cover for my windshield, I like that this also bungees to the wheels to hold it in place.

SnowOFF Car Windshield Snow Ice Cover - Sun Shade Protector - WINDPROOF Straps, Wings, Suction Cups, Magnets - BONUS Demist Cloth + Blanket - Winter Ice Rain Frost Automotive Hood Covers - Fits Cars

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RKR7QFS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

popeye

popeye

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2016
kapowsin, Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I’ve thrown a towel over mine with a bungee to hold it tight over night when it’s loaded on the trailer the night before for a snow run. For temporary use it is great. It’s clean and clear when you pull it off

C

Chartmarker

Jun 11, 2018
Tucson, Az.
Ownership

1. 500
What is this Snow and Ice you people keep talking about? We ride in the deserts of Southern Arizona and haven't seen it. Is this something we should worry about?

Reactions: DaddyDubbs
O

Outlander

Oct 6, 2018
USA
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
What is this Snow and Ice you people keep talking about? We ride in the deserts of Southern Arizona and haven't seen it. Is this something we should worry about?

Between 110 degree days and sandstorms I'm not too enthralled with desert life.

https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2Ftrevornace%2Ffiles%2F2018%2F07%2Fdust-storm-arizona.jpg

Reactions: Eltobgi
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
C

Chartmarker

Jun 11, 2018
Tucson, Az.
Ownership

1. 500
Cactus have done more damage to the windshield than dust or heat, but our 2016 is still in very good shape considering we do no less than 150 hard miles a month on the trails .

alloutdoors

alloutdoors

Jan 21, 2018
US
Ownership

1. 500

2. 700-4

3. Do not currently own
There are various products which help with snow/ice, but I would do my homework to insure it will not damage the windshield itself; that is, if you have non-glass windshield it may be vulnerable to various chemicals, so you could end-up doing significant damage....

C

coorsman

Dec 28, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Why not just get a glass windshield? I know its a little more money but well worth it. Pays for itself after one year

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Why not just get a glass windshield? I know its a little more money but well worth it. Pays for itself after one year
I would like a glass windshield, though they’re more than a little bit more than plastic. How does it pay for itself in a year?

Last edited:
C

coorsman

Dec 28, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I personally feel with the scratching and the time worrying about scratching, its just worth the glass. Maybe it doesn't pay for itself after a year but peace of mind is worth something.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I personally feel with the scratching and the time worrying about scratching, its just worth the glass. Maybe it doesn't pay for itself after a year but peace of mind is worth something.
Oh, I see what you mean. I’ve had my plastic one for four years and 3K miles and there’s no scratches on it and we ride the tightest brushiest trails. But, I don’t have sandstorms or much ice. When I do have ice, I bring out the blow dryer. Can you have motorized wipers with glass?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!