P700 Sound foam on roof?

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
Anyone have any experience with putting sound foam on the underside of the roof or inside a 700-4?

I have some acoustic sound panels which I believe are designed to absorb sound. They’re 1ft by 1ft squares. I had initially thought to just glue them to the underside of the roof but wondered about that getting wet/dirty or deteriorating somehow and not being tonremove it. I may attempt a “suspended” ceiling install...

Pics or direction to a thread that may have some would be great.

Thanks in advance.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I wouldn't want anything that would absorb moisture up there, how about spray on bed liner, I don't know if it would work as good as your panels ,but it may help.

Reactions: swsebek
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with that.
They make a sound dampening material that's like rubber sheets with and adhesive backing in different thicknesses.
It was designed for inside car body's to keep the thin Japanese cars from vibrating apart from the big speaker bass
And I read of another person doing this but never heard if it helped.
Those sheets were 36x36 and you could cut them and paint over too.

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
I agree with that.
They make a sound dampening material that's like rubber sheets with and adhesive backing in different thicknesses.
It was designed for inside car body's to keep the thin Japanese cars from vibrating apart from the big speaker bass
And I read of another person doing this but never heard if it helped.
Those sheets were 36x36 and you could cut them and paint over too.

I should have a look at that. I imagine the rubber or rubberish sheet would hold up much better overtime regardless of moisture anyway.

I imagine I would end up fastening the sheet to something or suspending it in a similar fashion as the foam? Looks like a guy could get a thin sheet of something between the roll cage and the hard roof that I have without modifying anything.

R

Ray

Sep 6, 2015
I walk into cafes and classrooms with those sound damper pads on the ceiling and they make no difference whatsoever. I find the best way to cut down on the noise is either to open the windows, or i keep a box of 3m ear plugs in the glovebox.

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
My father used to tell me to turn the radio up. For me the biggest issue would be the extra weight added up high, I think I'd rather deal with a little extra noise.

Reactions: AlR
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I wanted to try this but never got around to it.
I did have one of those large cargo nets across my cage to store stuff like jackets, and at one point I kept a large sleeping bag for the kiddies for after dark (desert always gets chilly at night). I tried laying it out across the whole roof, and it does seem as though it would make a big difference with real sound deadener up there. I can't imagine it would weigh enough to have a negative effect on stability. Certainly not as much as a sound bar.

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
I ended up using spray adhesive to attach the sound absorbing foam to a 1/4” piece of plywood that measures 2’x4’ then attached that with L brackets and a cross bar to where the brush nets are fastened to the ROPS.

Total weight is about 5 lbs and it seems to make a pretty noticeable difference.

It’s been there a week now and we’ve had a couple of good frosts here since and things soon to be holding up nicely.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!