educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Good morning,

I have combed through many of the posts on here looking for insight on spacers and/or widening the P500/520 but am still struggling with making a decision as to what size spacers and/or how wide should I go. I'm waiting on my P520 to arrive but am trying to get as much figured out/budgeted so that when it comes in, I have what I need.

The sole purpose of this machine will be to get my 6 year old son out on the trails so safety is my priority.

Planned Setup for P520:
26 inch Bearclaw HTR on stock wheels. (26x9 front and 26x11 rear)

I had this setup on my 2016 p500 without spacers so I know I need to go wider. I'd like to make it as stable as possible without hitting the "diminishing returns" point. I've never run spacers on any of my machines so I'm not sure how much of an impact it makes.

Here are my questions and any help is very much appreciated.
With stock wheels, will 1.5 inch spacers on all four corners make a noticeable difference? Or, Do I need to go to 2 inch?
Does it make more sense to get aftermarket wheels in a different offset? Again, not for the "cool factor" but for safety and reliability.

I appreciate any insight into this topic. In full disclosure, my anxiety and indecision regarding width stems from me tipping my 2016 p500 a few years back.
Thank you

Reactions: Morpheus
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I put 2” spacers all the way around on my stock rims/tires. I knew there was the potential to have inexperienced drivers behind the wheel so it was cheap insurance. The only time it was on its side was when several of us winched it over for an NTC win of the TO banner scavenger hunt.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Good morning,

I have combed through many of the posts on here looking for insight on spacers and/or widening the P500/520 but am still struggling with making a decision as to what size spacers and/or how wide should I go. I'm waiting on my P520 to arrive but am trying to get as much figured out/budgeted so that when it comes in, I have what I need.

The sole purpose of this machine will be to get my 6 year old son out on the trails so safety is my priority.

Planned Setup for P520:

I had this setup on my 2016 p500 without spacers so I know I need to go wider. I'd like to make it as stable as possible without hitting the "diminishing returns" point. I've never run spacers on any of my machines so I'm not sure how much of an impact it makes.

With stock wheels, will 1.5 inch spacers on all four corners make a noticeable difference? Or, Do I need to go to 2 inch?
Does it make more sense to get aftermarket wheels in a different offset? Again, not for the "cool factor" but for safety and reliability.

I appreciate any insight into this topic. In full disclosure, my anxiety and indecision regarding width stems from me tipping my 2016 p500 a few years back.
Thank you
I recently added 26" Bighorn 2.0 tires and 1" RB3 off road spacers all the way around. Night and day difference and I personally believe 1" is just fine. I believe that 1.5s will be good as well. I would definitely be prepared to purchase Mud Buster Fender Flares though. That is my next upgrade. With just the 1" spacers on 26x9 front and 26x11 rear with stock rims the mud flings right up and covers my side mirrors and hood and windshield LOL. Good luck!

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I put 2” spacers all the way around on my stock rims/tires. I knew there was the potential to have inexperienced drivers behind the wheel so it was cheap insurance. The only time it was on its side was when several of us winched it over for an NTC win of the TO banner scavenger hunt.

I recently added 26" Bighorn 2.0 tires and 1" RB3 off road spacers all the way around. Night and day difference and I personally believe 1" is just fine. I believe that 1.5s will be good as well. I would definitely be prepared to purchase Mud Buster Fender Flares though. That is my next upgrade. With just the 1" spacers on 26x9 front and 26x11 rear with stock rims the mud flings right up and covers my side mirrors and hood and windshield LOL. Good luck!
Thank you both for your insight and it's good to hear that the 1 inch makes a good amount of difference. Gives me hope for the 1.5 or 2 :) And THANK YOU for the heads up on the fender flares. I'm okay with some mud splashing up during the summer but can't stand when I am running a full windshield and get it covered.

Morpheus

Morpheus

Supporting Member
May 6, 2019
Minnesota
Ownership

1. 500
Thank you both for your insight and it's good to hear that the 1 inch makes a good amount of difference. Gives me hope for the 1.5 or 2 :) And THANK YOU for the heads up on the fender flares. I'm okay with some mud splashing up during the summer but can't stand when I am running a full windshield and get it covered.
If you go with either 1.5" or 2" it will be safer 10 fold.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
I bought RB3 off road wide track bundle for pioneer 500/700.
1.5" rear and 1" front with stock tires.
Does having 1.5" in the back and 1" in the front make it so they are the same width all around? Or, is the back now wider. (Not that there is anything wrong with a little extra in the back)

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Just to make your decision even harder: I run 27’s on stock wheels with 1.5" spacers and they seem to work well for me.
I thought about running 27's as well. I'm on the fence with that still. But I think the 1.5" spacer is my sweet spot. Then, if I need more, it's a good excuse to get new wheels with a wider offset... Thank you for the recommendation.

Reactions: Dave75 and Red500
PJ1

PJ1

FIREBALL P-500
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 20, 2020
Massachusetts
Ownership

1. 500
Does having 1.5" in the back and 1" in the front make it so they are the same width all around? Or, is the back now wider. (Not that there is anything wrong with a little extra in the back)
I believe that's the case, but can't remember for sure. The front being a bit wider and this evens it up.

MI-Trailblazer

MI-Trailblazer

Apr 4, 2019
Parma, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Just installed RB3 1.5" spacers on all 4 corners back in September right before I took the P5 out to Moab. With having the rear anti-sway-bar removed, all of the side-hilling I did on the rocks, I never felt the machine get "tippy" at all.

Oh, and I have 26" tires on stock wheels.

Only down-side is I think after improving the ride quality of my P5 with the 26" radials and sway-bar removal, after installing the spacers and traveling the same routes at home, I think the spacers "harshened" the ride a little. Moving the tire contact area further away from the A-arm pivot and shock mount kind of amplified the inadequate stock shocks.

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Just installed RB3 1.5" spacers on all 4 corners back in September right before I took the P5 out to Moab. With having the rear anti-sway-bar removed, all of the side-hilling I did on the rocks, I never felt the machine get "tippy" at all.

Oh, and I have 26" tires on stock wheels.

Only down-side is I think after improving the ride quality of my P5 with the 26" radials and sway-bar removal, after installing the spacers and traveling the same routes at home, I think the spacers "harshened" the ride a little. Moving the tire contact area further away from the A-arm pivot and shock mount kind of amplified the inadequate stock shocks.
Thank you, that's what I needed to hear (re: tippy) But the harshness of the ride is not as much fun... I'm going to order a set of WE shocks in the next week or two so I should only have to deal with that for part of the riding season. Thank you for your feedback; it's very helpful.

Reactions: PJ1
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good morning,

Planned Setup for P520:

Thank you
I run 1.5” on all four corners with 26’s. I didn’t get on my side anymore after doing that…..

Reactions: educ8tedguess
S

Splorin

Oct 14, 2018
Maine
Ownership

1. 500
Whatever you go up you should go out. If the new tires give you 2" of actual lift (loaded radius) then go out that much. The 9's and 11's will also give you some bonus width and combined with shocks also help alleviate some of the pucker factor. The technicality of your terrain factors into the equation also. Disclaimer- I'm a knucklehead that looks for stupid stuff while on 2-5 rims at 59 wide out back.......

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
Whatever you go up you should go out. If the new tires give you 2" of actual lift (loaded radius) then go out that much. The 9's and 11's will also give you some bonus width and combined with shocks also help alleviate some of the pucker factor. The technicality of your terrain factors into the equation also. Disclaimer- I'm a knucklehead that looks for stupid stuff while on 2-5 rims at 59 wide out back.......
Thanks for the recommendation and insight. I am in full agreement on making it wider as I make it taller and as a fellow Knucklehead, I learned this the hard way. Now that I have clearance from the warden to bring my son on some of the ATV trips, learning the hard way a second time is not an option. I did a little more research last night and ended up adjusting my "modification/accessory priority list." Skid plates are already on their way but instead of some of getting some of the "nice to have" items right away, I'm going to move aftermarket wheels to the top of the list, in addition to spacers. I still have a soft roof and 1/2 windshield from my 2016 P500 so I can hold off on that stuff for now.

So, right now I think I'm going with 1.5" spacers and will figure out the wheel offset next. With any luck, I will have this all figured out by the time it comes in :) Thanks again everyone

educ8tedguess

educ8tedguess

Lifetime Member
Oct 16, 2015
Spring Grove Illinois
Ownership

1. Looking to buy
26x9's on 5+2's on all four and 1" spacers for the rear to even the track width. That's a proven stable starting point for the P5, a lot of guys are running that setup. Puts you at about 54" wide.
Thanks, Trigger. I was taking notes as I went through the wheel/tire threads and you basically just summarized what I was finding. So to clarify, that would be 1 inch spacers for the back only... nothing needed for the front because the 5 + 2 pushes it out enough? Sorry for all the questions but this is the most important piece for me.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!