P1000 Spare rim and tire

B

bigbass

May 6, 2018
Clinton NC
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I would like to get a deluxe wheel to mount as a spare but would I need a front or a rear...just don't know which offset will work on either one.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Front works for both
I kind of wish the made a donut spare you know - something to just get you back to camp that was more compact and took up less room.

Reactions: BWAF
J

JTW

I kind of wish the made a donut spare you know - something to just get you back to camp that was more compact and took up less room.
I’m sure you could find one off a vehicle that would work. Issue would be it holding up if you’re in a place not an ATV can get in and out of.

Reactions: BWAF and Ragnar406
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also needs to be same size as the rest or the DCT WILL NOT shift out of first because diff speed sensors won’t match RPM wise( unless you have it in 4Lock which would be a bad idea unless it was all mud)

I’ll be it messes with the LE even more as there are two wheel speed sensors on the front.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also needs to be same size as the rest or the DCT WILL NOT shift out of first because diff speed sensors won’t match RPM wise( unless you have it in 4Lock which would be a bad idea unless it was all mud)

I’ll be it messes with the LE even more as there are two wheel speed sensors on the front.
When you say same size are you talking diameter or same in everyway. Granted I am just looking for a spare that is lighter and smaller in width than my current tires that "in a pinch" could get me back to my truck where a full size spare would be.

I know why not carry your full size... because it is heavy and the majority of the time I am not going to need it. Plus the majority of the time where and when I ride it is with a group and close enough that if a major incident happened someone could run back and fetch it if need be. I tossed it in when we rode Thursday at Takeover because we were going to be farther away from camp and I did not want to risk slowing down the group but a full size spare take up a lot of room.

I am just thinking of options for those of us that run bigger tires.. I know @joeymt33 carrying a smaller tire sometimes as a spare.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
When you say same size are you talking diameter or same in everyway. Granted I am just looking for a spare that is lighter and smaller in width than my current tires that "in a pinch" could get me back to my truck where a full size spare would be.

I know why not carry your full size... because it is heavy and the majority of the time I am not going to need it. Plus the majority of the time where and when I ride it is with a group and close enough that if a major incident happened someone could run back and fetch it if need be. I tossed it in when we rode Thursday at Takeover because we were going to be farther away from camp and I did not want to risk slowing down the group but a full size spare take up a lot of room.

I am just thinking of options for those of us that run bigger tires.. I know @joeymt33 carrying a smaller tire sometimes as a spare.
Diameter, the width doesn't matter, I usually carry my front tire as a spare but it still won't shift out of first it'll get me home though.

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Diameter, the width doesn't matter, I usually carry my front tire as a spare but it still won't shift out of first it'll get me home though.
So if my tires measured 30x10" I could technically use a 30x6" donut to hobble home? something narrower on a narrow rim that weighed less and took up less room...…

Yea I know I am over thinking

Reactions: JTW and BWAF
J

JTW

So I used Joey’s spare on the overland and it was a stock bighorn at 26” vs my terrabites at 28”... you can get by with a little size difference. However.. It was on a front and I could use 4x4 just not lock.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I used Joey’s spare on the overland and it was a stock bighorn at 26” vs my terrabites at 28”... you can get by with a little size difference. However.. It was on a front and I could use 4x4 just not lock.

OK maybe so, I know my Evos vs Stockers will not work I tried it before Takeover, Maybe is JUST enough additional to keep it from working?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
OK maybe so, I know my Evos vs Stockers will not work I tried it before Takeover, Maybe is JUST enough additional to keep it from working?
You ever saw the Moose tubes, all ways thought they would be great! It would cost a fortune for S x S tires! And probably get hot on pavement.

Jeff_Draper

Jeff_Draper

Stringbean
Lifetime Member
May 24, 2018
Fairview TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Just curious as I am only moderately mechanically inclined. If you put it in the manual mode will it still not shift? Thanks for your help.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just curious as I am only moderately mechanically inclined. If you put it in the manual mode will it still not shift? Thanks for your help.
Don't think so. Could be wrong?

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Nope there’s a rpm sensor in each of the diffs on Non-LE and two rpm sensors in the front as well as a third in the rear on an LE.

If the computer senses they are far enough different it won’t upshift period.

Reactions: Ragnar406
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Nope there’s a rpm sensor in each of the diffs on Non-LE and two rpm sensors in the front as well as a third in the rear on an LE.

What’s the difference? I know I have run with one wheel being flat for a bit and did not see a change in shifting. Mainly because I was surprised when someone yelled my tire was flat

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

Good to know!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
What’s the difference? I know I have run with one wheel being flat for a bit and did not see a change in shifting. Mainly because I was surprised when someone yelled my tire was flat
Was it the front tire? If it was, it wasn't on the ground anyways. HA!

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Honestly, Haven't a clue, didn't put a lot of effort into testing it. Someone said it wouldn't work and I tried it and it didn't. I had it in turf mode.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!