Talon Spare tire carrier

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
I’m looking for recommendations on a spare tire carrier that will be low as possible and still allow access to the cargo box. I’ve seen some for rzr’s that are hinged on one side with pull pins on the other to swing it out of the way of the bed. Is there anything like that for the Talon

Reactions: Isaiah
B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have not seen it for Talon, but on the RZRs I have seen the spare standing on the drivers side of bed with a box beside it. That way do not have to do anything to get at box. I really don't feel the tubing and under frame on Talon is sturdy enough to carry the weight of a hanging spare off the rear like the YXZ has. HMF started building one but quit in prototype stage and told me they had issues. Most of the rest offered either block the view out back or put weight up high. I built my own to put spare on roof, and I noticed the weight cornering at higher speeds. Woudl work fine if just rock crawling or slow trails

Reactions: CincyCuda68
906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
My idea is to add the HMF 2" reciever & bumper then get one that goes into the reciever but modify it to attach to the bumper also. It works in my mind anyways

B

Backfar

Dec 5, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I got a JEI spare tire mount and it works with pins on both sides so it can be swung open, the spare tire sits just under the roof line
Rsw 600h 600 1

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I got a JEI spare tire mount and it works with pins on both sides so it can be swung open, the spare tire sits just under the roof lineView attachment 174782
I looked at this system, I like the concept but don't like how it restricts rear visibility

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
I looked at this system, I like the concept but don't like how it restricts rear visibility
I have the JEI gas can version, it's the same basic setup but fuel instead of tire carrying. With side view mirrors I see behind me just fine, and blind spot checks (such as when backing up) aren't blocked.

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
I like that one :)

Since you had your tape measure out for the wiper... what's the distance from the bottom of the carrier to the bed/cargo area? ;)
25 " to the bed surface , I have the hard rear storage from honda and with this it will not open fully because it hits but plenty to have access to all items inside.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
25 " to the bed surface , I have the hard rear storage from honda and with this it will not open fully because it hits but plenty to have access to all items inside.
Thanks again, I owe you a beer...... I'll take a measurement this wkd and see if I'll have access to the Yeti 20.

NemoDeven

NemoDeven

Jul 24, 2018
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Thanks again, I owe you a beer...... I'll take a measurement this wkd and see if I'll have access to the Yeti 20.
:) So what kind of trails up there in MI easy or rugged ?

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
:) So what kind of trails up there in MI easy or rugged ?
We have a pretty good mix, UP where I'm at is a lot of state and federal forest so most of it is open to ORVs, terrain ranges from sand/gravel seasonal roads, old logging trails, some rocky areas & several muddy swamps that can swallow a rig. We're planning a [HASHTAG]#yoopertakeover2020[/HASHTAG] this summer on Drummond Island on the East end of the U.P. if you're interested, probably late July/early Aug. That area can be a bit more technical for some. I'll be at Takeover this year with @aprils_fool too, looking forward to riding some new terrain.

Reactions: aprils_fool
B

Backfar

Dec 5, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon X
I have no regrets getting the jei.. no issues with rattles, but it is kinda heavy to be opening all the time.

B

bjniceguy

May 25, 2019
Iowa
Ownership

1. Talon R
here is what I built. I have to take off to get in enclosed trailer (2 bolts on wheel & 2 bolts on carrier) but does not effect view back or getting into rear box. I can feel weight at high speed cornering, but fine up to say 40, then have to think about it, but not that bad. Worst part is loading and unloading teh tire LOL

IMG 0067

D

DavidHenn

Jan 22, 2020
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. Talon X
I built one that goes in a rear hitch. $25 of 2” tube and some threaded rod for wheel mounting studs. I dropped mine down a little To match the ground clearance of the lowest spot on the wheeler because we just trail ride. You could do it as a straight upside down T though. The tire sits on the horizontal tube. The vertical part of just for support and for the mounts.

D76126D8 7864 423D A1EC 7EB91BF8A161 View attachment 177910

S

Shannonhopper1

Feb 21, 2018
Bardstown ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have one
I’m looking for recommendations on a spare tire carrier that will be low as possible and still allow access to the cargo box. I’ve seen some for rzr’s that are hinged on one side with pull pins on the other to swing it out of the way of the bed. Is there anything like that for the Talon
I have one for sale if you’re interested it’s a super atv spare tire carrier I believe, it has pins that come out on one side and opens like a gate. I live in the Bardstown Kentucky area.

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have one

I have one for sale if you’re interested it’s a super atv spare tire carrier I believe, it has pins that come out on one side and opens like a gate. I live in the Bardstown Kentucky area.
Damn, already bought the JEI but thank you!

C

CincyCuda68

Sep 27, 2019
Ohio
Ownership

1. Talon R
I have no regrets getting the jei.. no issues with rattles, but it is kinda heavy to be opening all the time.
I just wish it had a stop in it so it didn’t open all the way that the tire sits on the fender.

CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
I just wish it had a stop in it so it didn’t open all the way that the tire sits on the fender.
Although a bit cheesy, I'd just run a rope from the top of the ROPS behind the driver's head to the JEI so it couldn't open all the way. Another member recently added a gas strut to help with the lifting but I'm not sure if or where it stops the opened angle.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!