BOX1

P1000 Spare Tire

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've been trying to find a stock front tire and wheel for use as a spare for my P1K-5 LE, I'm starting to think I'll need to buy another P1K just to get a tire and wheel......

I've got patching and filling equipment on board, but worry about a pinch, or sharp rock split..... Has anyone found a source for a single tire and wheel?

Thanks for any help or advice

S

scdaf

Mar 31, 2021
central Washington
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought one used off Craigslist from a fellow who had bought a set of four in order to get a spare, then, he put the other 3 up for sale. Got lucky, it was a deluxe wheel, matching my existing set. Paid $150, traveled 2 -1/2 hours each way. Considering my local dealer wanted around $250 for the wheel alone, I was happy.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Bought one used off Craigslist from a fellow who had bought a set of four in order to get a spare, then, he put the other 3 up for sale. Got lucky, it was a deluxe wheel, matching my existing set. Paid $150, traveled 2 -1/2 hours each way. Considering my local dealer wanted around $250 for the wheel alone, I was happy.
WOW! I'd do that in a heart beat!

E

Ericthered

Eric The Red
Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Sparks, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Have two 12 inch spares in Sparks. Two rears, factory originals, steel rims with tires $50 each. Will have to come up to Reno to get them. Let me know if you're interested. Eric (775)440-1774

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can always go this route

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have two 12 inch spares in Sparks. Two rears, factory originals, steel rims with tires $50 each. Will have to come up to Reno to get them. Let me know if you're interested. Eric (775)440-1774

I'm temped, my LE has 14 inch rims, so not sure about the diameter being "close enough" to get me home. Thanks though! That would be a good deal!

Reactions: ChadD and Lady01
Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I'm temped, my LE has 14 inch rims, so not sure about the diameter being "close enough" to get me home. Thanks though! That would be a good deal!
My base model came with the 12” steels but I picked up a set of deluxe 14” aluminum that I’m running now. I use one of the front 12” steels for a spare. Both have 27” tires so I figure if I keep in on the front with the dif open it should get me home without a problem.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
That steel front will work on your LE front and rear. I used one for yrs till i went with aftermarket wheels and tires. That would be your best bet for now unless your picky and want a deluxe wheel at some point.

TexasJackKin

TexasJackKin

Nov 22, 2020
Dayton, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That steel front will work on your LE front and rear. I used one for yrs till i went with aftermarket wheels and tires. That would be your best bet for now unless your picky and want a deluxe wheel at some point.
If I'm reading @Ericthered correctly he has two rear steel tires and wheels, so that would only work for a spare on the rear. As I understand it a front can be used front or rear. I would prefer aluminum wheels just for the weight, but at that price I'd take steel, if I was sure it would work on all 4 corners...... Maybe someone smarter than me (Most anyone on this forum) can offer advice...... Thanks!

What's the probability of successfully slipping in a tube in the event of a non-repairable flat?

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
If I'm reading @Ericthered correctly he has two rear steel tires and wheels, so that would only work for a spare on the rear. As I understand it a front can be used front or rear. I would prefer aluminum wheels just for the weight, but at that price I'd take steel, if I was sure it would work on all 4 corners...... Maybe someone smarter than me (Most anyone on this forum) can offer advice...... Thanks!

What's the probability of successfully slipping in a tube in the event of a non-repairable flat?

You are correct, only the front tire will work on all 4's. That's what I had. As for the steel wheel, I wouldn't worry about the weight. 9 out of 10 its only temporary and the weight difference (is not much btw and no comparison on the rear) won't be an issue at all even for the rest of the day or a few days ride. Inner tube, great way to save a tire that's still good and I have done this in the past. I wouldn't recommend doing that on trail cuz u have to break down the tire to do so and it can be kind of a Kamala Harris to get it inside and set. Id do that in my garage with beer lol.

Homer

Homer

Bad Decision Coordinator
Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2019
GA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Running a rear tire as a spare on the front will severely limit steering. Get a front wheel/tire for all around spare.

Breaking/seating the bead for a trailside tube install will be difficult. That's one of the reasons to run beadlock rims.

Good luck.

B

bridgermgmt

Jul 18, 2021
Tahoe
Ownership

1. Other Brand
A local shop here in Reno had suggested to run 4 of the same size on my old rig. Up til we sold the old rig, never had a single issue with steering components wearing out faster or any handling issues. Made carrying a spare on hunting trips real easy. We went up in width 1 size in front and down 1 in the back. Never had issues with traction or loss of manors. Was very happy with that set up. Most of the desert guys up here run in 4hi 90% of the time so I am sure that had something to do with not noticing the loss in rear traction. But with the right tire, pressure, and tread patch length, I think you wouldn't notice.

We just purchased aftermarket wheels on sale that matched the front.

We also tried the beadlocks but for the terrain and weather up here they were not worth the hassle. But they looked cool. Especially if your not sizing up a ton or adding much weight in the tire itself.

Reactions: Lady01
Amre2me2

Amre2me2

Aug 11, 2016
Colorado
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You don’t need to haul around a spare tire. With any 8 ply tire (and some of the 6ply) tires, you can ride all day on a completely flat tire. The sidewalls are strong enough that you won’t damage them. Just keep a plug kit and a way to fill your tire. CO2 bottles work great. If you cut a sidewall you’re gonna replace the tire anyway.
If your gonna buy a spare to keep back at your rig so you can change it out, then that makes sense. Or if you’re gonna be going on a multi day trip, sure. But to haul a spare tire on your rig on a day trip doesn't make any sense at all.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got my spare mounted on a tusk tire carrier. I keep plugs, a sidewall slug, small bottle of slime, and 12v compressor with me. There are places we have gone at Drummond Michigan and never saw anyone. So we want to make sure we are covered.

IMG 20210708 200912

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!