Spare vs plug kit. Spare wins!

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
I've been in situations where plugs got me through the day. I've been in a situation where I might have needed a bunch of plugs to fill the gash in a sidewall if that's all I had. But today was a new one for me, I somehow managed to get a rock perfectly between my brake caliper and my STI HD9 beadlock wheel and have a flat tire. I immediately felt the flat, and pulled over. I got the compressor out to see if I could locate the leak, I couldn't. It wasn't until I had the wheel off that I could see what happened.
The rock being wedged between the rim and caliper actually broke the rim!

IMG 20200814 131301092 XL

IMG 20200814 131310709 HDR XL

IMG 20200814 131326881 HDR XL

I know I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery than repeating this feat, but I wanted to put it out there because not every flat tire can be fixed with a few plugs.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I've been in situations where plugs got me through the day. I've been in a situation where I might have needed a bunch of plugs to fill the gash in a sidewall if that's all I had. But today was a new one for me, I somehow managed to get a rock perfectly between my brake caliper and my STI HD9 beadlock wheel and have a flat tire. I immediately felt the flat, and pulled over. I got the compressor out to see if I could locate the leak, I couldn't. It wasn't until I had the wheel off that I could see what happened.

View attachment 218658

View attachment 218659

View attachment 218660

I know I probably have a better chance at winning the lottery than repeating this feat, but I wanted to put it out there because not every flat tire can be fixed with a few plugs.
That's twice in like 2weeks, so its not that rare. At least not this month lol

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5

View attachment 218658

View attachment 218659

View attachment 218660

You think you can have the old rim welded and use it for your spare? The ITP tires I have you can run 0 PSI to get you back to camp as long as you take it easy.

FOOTS

FOOTS

Jan 30, 2020
North Carolina
Ownership

1. Talon X4

View attachment 218658

View attachment 218659

View attachment 218660

Are you running 14 or 15 inch wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
You think you can have the old rim welded and use it for your spare? The ITP tires I have you can run 0 PSI to get you back to camp as long as you take it easy.

That's what I'm thinking, worth a shot anyway.

Are you running 14 or 15 inch wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15"

This is a good reason to run quality, 8 ply tires. Even fully flat, I’ve ridden 10 miles to make it back.

The Terrrabites I'm running are 8 ply but much softer than the ITP's I have on my Kawasaki Teryx. But I managed to damage one of those sidewalls last weekend with a big gash. I should probably ride slower. Nah.

Reactions: JenElio and TripleB
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
With all the off roading you have available down there, a local weld shop can fix that right up fer ya. I'm not sure if that'll hammer flat or if it'll need to be ground first (where it's hanging up) but entirely fixable. Wish you were here, my welder could handle that (the thing that makes the electricity) but my torch (the part you hold) is only 150 amp and might not be able to handle the amps needed to heat up that much aluminum.

As you're well aware, we'll need pix of the fix. :cool: Lunar Tick :oops:

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Very common.

Carry tubes of JB weld to fix. (JB kwik is 15 minutes)

To avoid be careful in rocky streams and don’t spin donuts in gravel.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly with the low psi that UTVs have, any competent welder could tig that up nice with low risk.

If you do it your self, make sure you clean up the clear coat on the inside of the rim and on the exterior. Wipe it really clean with alcohol and go easy on the heat....and back out easy to avoid micro cracks.

Then as a bit of safety you can smear a thin layer of RTV on the fix from the inside.

You may want to consider balancing that tire as well.

Lil_Steve

Lil_Steve

May 22, 2019
Gilbert, AZ
Ownership

1. Talon R
Very common.

Carry tubes of JB weld to fix. (JB kwik is 15 minutes)

To avoid be careful in rocky streams and don’t spin donuts in gravel.

I do carry a tube of JB weld SteelStik but didn't even think about trying it. I'll look into having someone weld it up for me since all I have is a small flux core welder.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I do carry a tube of JB weld SteelStik but didn't even think about trying it. I'll look into having someone weld it up for me since all I have is a small flux core welder.
I have a buddy going on 10 years with jb weld applied in the field.
No leaks.

Fwiw

Reactions: CID and Lil_Steve
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
This is a good reason to run quality, 8 ply tires. Even fully flat, I’ve ridden 10 miles to make it back.
I prefer that to the expense, weight and the bulk of a spare. 20,000 miles now on five SXS’s and 2 flats. Both serviced on the side of the trail. The op is a quite rare event and for myself doesn’t justify toting around a spare for thousands of miles in case of an unserviceable flat. But that’s a personal preference based upon my experiences. A couple of flats like the op might have me thinking differently...😁

Reactions: Mudwing

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!