BOX1

P700 Spark lost wen throttle is applied

2007honda700

Aug 27, 2019
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 700-2
good day. I have a 2007 pionee 2 seater and when you apply throttle it’s like a rev limiter of sort and it looses spark and won’t rev up. Like some sort of safety switch or something. Any help would be appreciated.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
good day. I have a 2007 pionee 2 seater and when you apply throttle it’s like a rev limiter of sort and it looses spark and won’t rev up. Like some sort of safety switch or something. Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome, but...
There's no such thing as a 2007 pioneer.
If it's a 2017, then is there is a check engine light?
This sounds like something with the start in gear feature. Are the gears displaying properly? Brake lights working?

Reactions: Hickstrong
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
It might be the seatbelt safety if a 2017.
I thought about that, but was thinking it wouldn't do that just off idle...

But...he didn't say that, did he? So it could be just that simple.

Reactions: Hickstrong

2007honda700

Aug 27, 2019
Wyoming
Ownership

1. 700-2
sorry for the confusion it is a 2015, I thought seat belt safety switch but can not find any switch located near the seat belts. it is for sure some sort of safety not letting me rev it up. brake lights work as normal and gear indicator which is only reverse and neutral. its weird even in neutral when you go to rev it up it won't. it cuts spark to keep the unit from reving it up. I can see 12v from the ecm at the coil and when I probe the ground side there is no ground. but the ground wire is good from the coil to the ecm. not sure if that means anything. appreciate you guys chiming in to help. any help is appreciated.

Hickstrong

Hickstrong

Aug 19, 2019
Pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
good day. I have a 2007 pioneer 2 seater and when you apply throttle it’s like a rev limiter of sort and it looses spark and won’t rev up. Like some sort of safety switch or something. Any help would be appreciated.
Try it with the headlights on or a 12 v accessory plugged in or both like operating the winch, if it runs better then it could be a rectifier/voltage regulator, I dont know my pioneer well but I think its located under the passenger side fender, sometimes the back of the voltage regulator will have a burnt mark and smells like burning plastic when you smell it.........worth a shot....turning a accessory on may knock the unregulated voltage closer to 12-14 which will may make the ignition respond better. I did this test on my Quadmaster 500 4 times after buying cheng shen ebay rectifiers from china! every time the headlight trick got me home

Reactions: BBB
DG Rider

DG Rider

Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
sorry for the confusion it is a 2015, I thought seat belt safety switch but can not find any switch located near the seat belts. it is for sure some sort of safety not letting me rev it up. brake lights work as normal and gear indicator which is only reverse and neutral. its weird even in neutral when you go to rev it up it won't. it cuts spark to keep the unit from reving it up. I can see 12v from the ecm at the coil and when I probe the ground side there is no ground. but the ground wire is good from the coil to the ecm. not sure if that means anything. appreciate you guys chiming in to help. any help is appreciated.
The ground side of the coil is the signal side. With a test light from batt positive to coil ground, you should see flashing when cranking/running...but that's all redundant. If the machine is running at all, that's all ok, so i would concentrate elsewhere.

Here's my thinking...and maybe some other 700 owners can chime in...BUT, I'm pretty sure the start in gear feature will only work if you aren't giving it throttle (Someone want to test this for me?). Or maybe that's just true in reverse. I don't have one anymore, or I'd give it a try...
That's the reason I said it sounded like something with the SIG.
For that reason, I'd try and correct the lack of proper gear indication, and I bet the other will cure itself.

I'm pretty sure 2015's don't have the seatbelt disable.

Last edited:
A

AltonRd

Jan 11, 2020
Tx
Ownership

1. 700-2

2. 1000-5
I have a 2015 and have the same problem.
Have replaced coil and spark plugs .

I thought at first it was a fuel issue and replaced the injector thinking it was stopped up .
Have checked exhaust as well.

It starts cutting out after after revving about 200 rpm .

Reactions: FJC 79
FJC 79

FJC 79

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 3, 2020
ne. ohio
Ownership

1. 700-2
welcome from ohio