BOX1

P500 SSS Off-Road UHMW skids.....thoughts?

865Pioneer500

865Pioneer500

Jul 5, 2018
Corryton, TN
Ownership

1. 500
I've been shopping and researching skid plate options for my P500 for some time now. I've owned Ricochet skids in the past on other ATVs and they were great, but I really don't care for their design or price when it comes to their P500 offering. So far, I am favoring the full package from SSS Off-Road. Who has this setup and what feedback can you give regarding them? I was looking on their website hoping to find installation instruction, but no luck. I was curious as to how the skid mounts along the outside edge of the ROPS. I'm speculating there's either some drilling involved in that area or some specialized hardware.

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have one, love it. It lets you slide off of big ledges without serious drag (And no screeching noises) and it does not rattle.

Reactions: ncred02 and 100Acre
JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I made mine using 9mm thick black UHMW, (at the time SSS I don’t think offered one), using stock as a pattern. UHMW is easy to work with and I used basic wood working tools to make and fit. Mine doesn’t fit full width of the machine, basically replaces stock with twice the thickness. Have worked flawlessly since early 2015, very robust material.
Just an other option.
Cheers

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I have the SSS's, they are pricey but worth it in the long run. If you do any damage to them I guarantee you that you will have other damage to your ride like falling off your trailer at 75 MPH. there is a bit of drill and tap but not big deal.

Reactions: 100Acre
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I have the SSS's, they are pricey but worth it in the long run. If you do any damage to them I guarantee you that you will have other damage to your ride like falling off your trailer at 75 MPH. there is a bit of drill and tap but not big deal.
I looked them up, think they only make them of the 500?

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I looked them up, think they only make them of the 500?
@Smitty335 all but Talon at this point.
Upload 2019 4 14 8 52 57

Upload 2019 4 14 8 51 34

Reactions: trigger
I

Islander

Sep 7, 2015
Sault Ste.Marie Canada
I've been shopping and researching skid plate options for my P500 for some time now. I've owned Ricochet skids in the past on other ATVs and they were great, but I really don't care for their design or price when it comes to their P500 offering. So far, I am favoring the full package from SSS Off-Road. Who has this setup and what feedback can you give regarding them? I was looking on their website hoping to find installation instruction, but no luck. I was curious as to how the skid mounts along the outside edge of the ROPS. I'm speculating there's either some drilling involved in that area or some specialized hardware.
Some drilling and tapping there .had mine for a year no problems bought extra washers and bolts

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Another important tool in doing the install on SSS is a heat gun.

Reactions: 100Acre
scottn57

scottn57

Sep 14, 2013
Buffalo, NY
I’ve the SSS full skid on my 500 and it is super strong. My only recommendation would be to loctite the screws- my dealer installed it without loctite and a number of them backed out. I reinstalled with blue loctite and haven’t had a problem. It’s taken multiple blows from sharp rocks without an issue and it makes it much easier to slide off obstructions.

Reactions: Glazer and 100Acre
100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Super easy to install, even from underneath. I put mine up on blocks and did it. I cannot begin to tell you how much that body armor has saved my machine. Many times I've taken some intense hits from rocks and boulders. I have had some oh s*** moments, only to find barely a scratch. If I had one complaint, it'd be the screws that hold them in place tend to back out, so use some Loctite for sure. Otherwise, that's Money extremely well spent!

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon x4
Who has this setup and what feedback can you give regarding them?
I’ve got them and will be protected for the life of the P5, or beyond. They are outstanding....:cool:

Use caution removing the bolts, yours is new enough, and being in a desert climate, you shouldn’t have trouble. But you might order extra bolts and washers. I put bolts in places that they didn’t have for factory, particularly in the very outside frame, and where it bends up the front.

Signal_rig

Signal_rig

Mar 10, 2018
TN
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone tired the SSS skids with the built in rockers? The standard ones seem to offer good protection over the floor boards, not sure if it’s worth the extra money.

865Pioneer500

865Pioneer500

Jul 5, 2018
Corryton, TN
Ownership

1. 500
Has anyone tired the SSS skids with the built in rockers? The standard ones seem to offer good protection over the floor boards, not sure if it’s worth the extra money.

I do like the added protection of the rockers. I'll probably go that route.

Signal_rig

Signal_rig

Mar 10, 2018
TN
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve only ridden my P500 a handful of times, but I hit bottom a few times. No noticeable damage, but not very confidence inspiring. I also have concern about the rockers and floorboards, I don’t want to stick gettting my foot. Looking for added protection on that area too.

Reactions: Eltobgi
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!